Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Best rock/all around 1.9 tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Question Best rock/all around 1.9 tire

Hi, I was looking into buying new tires for my ascender and I had a few questions. How good are the Ascender tires? Are they as good as something like pitbulls or prolines? Would they be as good if they were cut/had softer foams? Which "aftermarket" tire would be the best? The terrain that I mostly run on is rock, dirt, mud, snow and the really slippery moss covered rocks. I am not worried too much about snow as I could always make some chains.
Axial n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best rock/all around 1.9 tire

I will give you the same answer as your previous thread...

I have been really impressed by the Duratrax Deep Woods.

That said when you open up the expenses, my go to tire for the conditions mentioned are Proline tsl's.

The vaterra Tsl's are very good when broken in, and require a little more wheelspeed. I run them on my brushless Twin Hammers.

Pitbull Rock Beasts are exceptional, and equal to the Proline tires with the exception of pure mud. They prove to be slightly better on pure rock.

All said do not count out the factory Tsl tires, I run the stock firm foam and go everywhere a scx10 goes.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have to agree a lot with loneycreeper. I run a lot of different tires between all of my rigs. There might be days and spots where I'll find other tires superior or more fun than the Proline TSL XLs, but if I had to run 1 tire and 1 tire only it would be them. I ran the stock tires for 2 battery packs before deciding they really didn't do too well in my regular run spots. The current tire which I'm mostly running on my Ascender is the Axial Nitto Trail Grappler R35.

Here are a few photos. Apologies for the non-Ascender vehicles shown in 2 of the 5 photos.

colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have ran the 1.9 Axial BFG R35 Krawler tires...and CI foams since 2014. But I get it, they aren't a 'popular' option like from the big three.

The only terrain they lack in is snow, but that's probably cause mine are so worn in.

Regardless, proper foam based on the rig weight, driving style and the tire itself is critical to performance; no matter the tire you run.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

Do the Proline TSLs offer more grip than Vaterra's TSLs, also, do the Prolines have a sticker/softer compound than the Vaterra version ?

Last edited by Axial n00b; 02-14-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial n00b View Post
Do the Proline TSLs offer more grip than Vaterra's TSLs, also, do the Prolines have a sticker/softer compound than the Vaterra version ?
On the fist and lunch-boxed sized dry river rocks that I typically drive over and the 1 foot (30 cm) dirt ledge I encounter the Proline TSL XLs are significantly better than the stock tires. I accept that the stock tires may have needed a few more weeks to break in, but I seriously doubted whether they would have narrowed the performance gap that much. The Prolines have a stickier compound and cleared mud much better.

Now comes the question as to whether you really want to spend the extra money just for these performance gains. Driving the stock tires may not have been any less fun. They would certainly present more of a challenge on less extreme terrain.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The Prolines are noticeably better, but my Simple Green soaked Vaterra TSLs with Proline foams work very well and my Blazer simply works with them, all tires and foams do need some break-in time. I like the slightly smaller size and better looking tread of the Vaterras but that's just my likes.

Edit, just for comparison TRX-4 stock tires with Simple Green treatment work quite well too, but again the Prolines work better.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-14-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Proline 1.9 TSL SX XL (Mic drop)
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
I hate the Vaterra TSLs. Some people have gotten them to work by playing around with foams, but they're never going to be as good as Prolines.

The Proline Hyrax is the best all around 1.9 tire. The Proline TSLs are a close second.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Take the 3-5 most popular tires and flip a coin. It's the only way to pick a tire without actually trying them for yourself. What works for some suck for others.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #11

Sitting here on running the vaterra tsl for the past 2 years.. they still have tread, and well they work quite well now! Obviously not as good as prolines or pit bulls but for stock tires they sure do really well! (Climbed up things that shouldn’t be climbable)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ascenderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
I have ran the 1.9 Axial BFG R35 Krawler tires...and CI foams since 2014. But I get it, they aren't a 'popular' option like from the big three.

The only terrain they lack in is snow, but that's probably cause mine are so worn in.

Regardless, proper foam based on the rig weight, driving style and the tire itself is critical to performance; no matter the tire you run.
I ran these a few weeks back at an indoor course. my set has been used quite a bit and is fairly broken in along with the CI foams. The owner/designer of the course even commented and was surprised how well they did. That said, I do love my PB Rock Beasts.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The original Pitbull Tires 1.9 Rock Beast P/N: PB9003NK is the most consistent performing rock and all around tire in my experience. After that tire won scale nationals, it became the benchmark size and all manufactures make a tire of the same carcass profile (i.e. width & height). Filled with the proper foams for your application, it's a proven winning combination.

A few of Crawler Innovations builds that have used them:

Vanquish Products 1.9 Bead Lock Wheels
Pitbull Tires 1.9 Rock Beast Tires
Crawler Innovations Foams;
4.50 Lil Nova Comp Cut Inner w/ medium outer, part no. CWR-2025 in the front;
Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 Rock Beast Foam, part no. CWR-3001 in the rear
"Top Shelf" is the name of the build.
Build thread here:
Crawler Innovations "Top Shelf" Ultra 4

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #14

Are those the XL ?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Are those the XL ?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The original Pitbull Tires 1.9 Rock Beast P/N: PB9003NK is the most consistent performing rock and all around tire in my experience. After that tire won scale nationals, it became the benchmark size and all manufactures make a tire of the same carcass profile (i.e. width & height). Filled with the proper foams for your application, it's a proven winning combination.

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #16

Is there a noticeable difference between Pitbull's komp compound and their alien compound ? What about the Pitbull's compound compared to the G8 compound from Proline ?

Last edited by Axial n00b; 02-15-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Yes you can tell the difference, it is small but there. Alien is as sticky as Prolines g8 compound, it wears faster, Komp compound lasts as long just dosn't have quite the same level of grip, especially when wet. We are only talking minor differences here, and honestly cannot go wrong with either.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #18

Pit Bull's Alien Kompound is no better than the competition. The Komp Kompound is outdated. The Komp Kompound was once great, but tires have evolved since then.

At the end of the day I'd still go Proline every single time, but Pit Bull tires are my second choice.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My Rock Beast XLs are the only Pit Bull tires I own in the Alien Compound. My Mad Beast, 1.55" Growlers and original Rock Beasts are all Komp. It's not apples-to-apples, since performance between the 2 different variants may be more attributable to size versus compound - but the softer compound doesn't seem to have that much of an effect to me. I've never owned a set of crawler tires long enough to have ever worn them out. It's a refreshing change from when I use to run Yokomo touring cars on carpet or when I had a 6S 1/8 buggy.

The G8 compound often really surprises me. I recently started running a set of Proline K02 tires and am surprised at how well they work in many situations for which I would have assumed their less aggressive tread pattern (compared to TSL XLs) would have caused them to falter. I've also had the G8 compound on my TSLs gain traction in situations where I can't even see the lugs since they're so coated in mud.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
My Rock Beast XLs are the only Pit Bull tires I own in the Alien Compound. My Mad Beast, 1.55" Growlers and original Rock Beasts are all Komp. It's not apples-to-apples, since performance between the 2 different variants may be more attributable to size versus compound - but the softer compound doesn't seem to have that much of an effect to me. I've never owned a set of crawler tires long enough to have ever worn them out. It's a refreshing change from when I use to run Yokomo touring cars on carpet or when I had a 6S 1/8 buggy.

The G8 compound often really surprises me. I recently started running a set of Proline K02 tires and am surprised at how well they work in many situations for which I would have assumed their less aggressive tread pattern (compared to TSL XLs) would have caused them to falter. I've also had the G8 compound on my TSLs gain traction in situations where I can't even see the lugs since they're so coated in mud.
And the reason I recomend the Proline Tsl's first every time a thread like this pops up!

Tags
pitbull, proline super swampers, rc4wd mud pluggers, tires

Best rock/all around 1.9 tire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the best 1.9 tire for rock? Bmxreeves Tires and Wheels 29 05-31-2015 07:56 AM
Best tire for rock crawling buzzbe97 Newbie General 15 03-17-2011 06:21 PM
rock crusher tire cruiserkb Tires and Wheels 4 07-04-2008 09:59 AM
Axial 2.2 Rock Lizards Tire, tire test rockwerks Tires and Wheels 1 05-27-2007 03:02 PM