Hmmm..

These were done last year by A.J. at Bottoms UP/Supershafty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ppb2hiRWU

https://supershafty.com/collections/...bearing-rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms Up View Post
WOW. Blatant copy.

Email sent with my phone number.

We need to have a little chat about this.

BOTTOMS UP - Scale Brass Brake Rotors - Mounted on a Bearing

https://supershafty.com/collections/...bearing-rotors

- A.J.

Is there a patent?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Is there a patent?
I don't know. I get the whole double standard of some can copy things and some can't in the RC world. I just assumed SSD would not go down that road of a direct copy. And yes, that is my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree with me.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #23
SSD
RCC Addict

Not that I need to explain, I had this idea a while a ago...
I've been in this industry a lot longer than most. I don't need to copy ideas etc..

If someone beats me to market then it doesn't mean i have to stop.

It's ridiculous that when I make a similar product to an existing one then it's a "blatant copy".

BTW this is a lot smaller, an actual SLW compatible wheel hub and steel, not brass.
Apart from that, exactly the same lol

Last edited by SSD; 02-23-2018 at 02:43 PM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Not that I need to explain, I had this idea a while a ago...
I've been in this industry a lot longer than most. I don't need to copy ideas etc..
I know that you have been around a long time and make great products. But you did copy an idea???

I am not trying to start anything, I don't do that. I just don't understand the concept of copying a unique product list this. So if you have any insight into how you came up with your product and not have seen the BU product, it would be cool to see how two different thought processes came up with the same product in different time frames. Or you don't have to explain anything to me, as you stated. I am fine with that too.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #25
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I know that you have been around a long time and make great products. But you did copy an idea???

I am not trying to start anything, I don't do that. I just don't understand the concept of copying a unique product list this. So if you have any insight into how you came up with your product and not have seen the BU product, it would be cool to see how two different thought processes came up with the same product in different time frames. Or you don't have to explain anything to me, as you stated. I am fine with that too.
I don't have to explain, but I will. It's very simple...
People are buying brass wheel weights. I want a piece of the sales but didn't want to make the exact same product. So what can I do...make it steel and so on...

Another problem is that I added a step on the back of SSD aluminium wheels which means that brass weights made by others don't fit well. So this had to be a complete wheel hub and not just a spacer/weight like the others.

So in future I may still need to make a solution available (a spacer to fill the gap) to fit all other brand wheel weights to SSD aluminium wheels. Or just make SSD specific weights (that will also fit all other wheels).

For the record, I'm usually months and months ahead in ideas and drawings.

Last edited by SSD; 02-23-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

It's darn close to the same product that is very unique and came out almost a year ago but I will drop the argument.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #27
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
It's darn close to the same product that is very unique and came out almost a year ago but I will drop the argument.
I obviously wasted my time trying to explain to you.
I knew I shouldn't have bothered...
Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I obviously wasted my time trying to explain to you.
I knew I shouldn't have bothered...
Yeah, I am just a dumb guy on the other side of the computer screen. Sorry about that. It's kind of hard to reply to your ambiguity.

If you did copy, just flipping say, "these were inspired by another RC company and I put my spin on it" pun intended. If you truly didn't know about the other product then state that. Giving credit to past innovators or stating you had no idea, that is pretty simple.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Goodness. Who cares........ thanks SSD for making parts for us scale nerds.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Ooops

Damn hard to keep reinventing the wheel, or come up with new stuff for the cars we love.
Personally i had not seen the bottom up one before, but the concept are pretty nice.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
Goodness. Who cares........ thanks SSD for making parts for us scale nerds.
Because are trying to live in a society here, with rules and standards or at least crediting the first designer.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Because are trying to live in a society here, with rules and standards or at least crediting the first designer.
I’ve always followed the rules and come here because I love the hobby. There are plenty of fish in the sea to buy from whomever. If you don’t want an idea copied get a patent and follow the rules. If you fail to get a patent you just left your idea open for a copy. That’s the rules.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #33
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I am just a dumb guy on the other side of the computer screen. Sorry about that. It's kind of hard to reply to your ambiguity.

If you did copy, just flipping say, "these were inspired by another RC company and I put my spin on it" pun intended. If you truly didn't know about the other product then state that. Giving credit to past innovators or stating you had no idea, that is pretty simple.
Quote:

Ambiguity?

Did you even read what I wrote?
I'm guessing you don't understand the problem this solves for SSD aluminium wheels.

How many times do I need to write I didn't copy his idea?

I wasn't inspired by that product. Yes I have seen it after having my own idea to do it (I pay attention to the market I'm in).

This isn't rocket science. Putting a weight on a bearing is not that hard to think up. It's been done in various ways by other companies already. For some reason you seem to think this is a major break through and nobody else can think of it.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’ve always followed the rules and come here because I love the hobby. There are plenty of fish in the sea to buy from whomever. If you don’t want an idea copied get a patent and follow the rules. If you fail to get a patent you just left your idea open for a copy. That’s the rules.
Not your product in this case or mine for that matter. Folks in this hobby make products because they love it as well and usually don't get patents. It's for fun but at least should adhere to some sort of ethics. How hard is it to say "I got my inspiration from this and made it better or like I wanted". I have copied others parts or ideas and my first thing is to credit them. Check my build threads and posts, you'll see it. And my Instagram account, I give credit. Not hard.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ambiguity?

Did you even read what I wrote?
I'm guessing you don't understand the problem this solves for SSD aluminium wheels.

How many times do I need to write I didn't copy his idea?

I wasn't inspired by that product. Yes I have seen it after having my own idea to do it (I pay attention to the market I'm in).

This isn't rocket science. Putting a weight on a bearing is not that hard to think up. It's been done in various ways by other companies already. For some reason you seem to think this is a major break through and nobody else can think of it.
I am not trying to play "ive been in crawling this many years" card but I haven't seen or remember a spinning wheel weight idea like the BU setup. I could be wrong and probably am.

If you say it wasn't inspired by BU's design, works for me. Just looked like a crazy similar product to something I had only seen once before. I know you don't have to say anything or reply to me, so that is fine. I run several of your products on my trucks and will continue to. I apologize for de-railing the thread but I had to speak up.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:

For someone who is "not trying to start anything" you failed miserably!

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-25-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not your product in this case or mine for that matter. Folks in this hobby make products because they love it as well and usually don't get patents. It's for fun but at least should adhere to some sort of ethics. How hard is it to say "I got my inspiration from this and made it better or like I wanted". I have copied others parts or ideas and my first thing is to credit them. Check my build threads and posts, you'll see it. And my Instagram account, I give credit. Not hard.
Ok here we go. I was going to hold my tongue but you continue to bring my post up. I don’t need to look you up. I actually just sold one of your builds to a nice fella in Hawaii. I didn’t want locals to think that was my metal work. I know now how you are on build 56 or 76. Lol I felt bad even selling that XJ but I was upfront about the poor metal work.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
For someone "not trying to start anything" you are failing miserably!
If you get low-keyed belittled in a reply, it's tough not to reply to that. I have dropped the argument in a post above.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok here we go. I was going to hold my tongue but you continue to bring my post up. I don’t need to look you up. I actually just sold one of your builds to a nice fella in Hawaii. I didn’t want locals to think that was my metal work. I know now how you are on build 56 or 76. Lol I felt bad even selling that XJ but I was upfront about the poor metal work.
And so was I when I sold it. But you can't deny my originality, so I got you on that. I have never claimed to build anything of any great fabrication value. I build the trucks to what my eyes like and take many shortcuts along the way. The reason I don't build rigs for other people because my work sucks. But thanks for the diss.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And so was I when I sold it. I have never claimed to build anything of any
great fabrication value. I build the trucks to what my eyes like and take many shortcuts along the way. The reason I don't build rigs for other people because my work sucks. But thanks for the diss.
I’ve never gotten greasy with member out of respect but you uncovered this stone. I agree. Your work does suck. I was going to give your XJ to my 3 year old but daddy builds way cleaner rigs.

New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD 6 Lug Steel Wheel Hex Hub w/Brake Rotor Teng General Crawlers 5 02-01-2018 04:23 AM
New SSD 6mm Offset Rotor Hubs SSD Tires and Wheels 11 01-25-2018 01:52 PM
Spinning hub in wheel JeremyH Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 06-17-2006 04:40 PM