Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Thread repair in wheels, what I had to do.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thread repair in wheels, what I had to do.

I bought some new SSD racer wheels for my vs-410 when I started the build. Unfortunatly a few of the threaded holes for the rear bead lock where stripped or only grabbed a few threads. I thought about sending them back but I found a 2.5mm thread repair kit at Lockeduprc.com and thought I'd give it a try. In the past I've had another wheel strip a screw (my fault) and this kit will be useful in the future. If you've ever installed a heli-coil then all this will look fimilar. It's just a micro version of their kits.

The kit from lockedup comes with everything you need but the drill motor.

First , you have to drill and tap the stripped hole to the size of the outside of the helicoil. The supplied drill bit and tap worked great.

Then the little teenie-tiny threaded insert goes on the install tool.

Then you simply thread the insert just enough to be below the opening of the whole. If you go too far you wont be able to break the small install tab off the bottom of the insert.

Here's the finished product. The hole with the red mark has an insert installed in it. As you can see it's just a thread below the top of the hole.

I've had these wheels apart a few times to install different inserts and the helicoils are holding tight. These kits are pretty cheap and can save you from ruining a threaded part. These come in 2, 2.5 and 3mm kits. If I would have known about these I could have fixed the C-hubs on my VP wraith axles.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Thread repair in wheels, what I had to do.

Outstanding post, thanks for sharing dude!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Thread repair in wheels, what I had to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
I bought some new SSD racer wheels for my vs-410 when I started the build. Unfortunatly a few of the threaded holes for the rear bead lock where stripped or only grabbed a few threads. I thought about sending them back but I found a 2.5mm thread repair kit at Lockeduprc.com and thought I'd give it a try. In the past I've had another wheel strip a screw (my fault) and this kit will be useful in the future. If you've ever installed a heli-coil then all this will look fimilar. It's just a micro version of their kits.

The kit from lockedup comes with everything you need but the drill motor.

First , you have to drill and tap the stripped hole to the size of the outside of the helicoil. The supplied drill bit and tap worked great.

Then the little teenie-tiny threaded insert goes on the install tool.

Then you simply thread the insert just enough to be below the opening of the whole. If you go too far you wont be able to break the small install tab off the bottom of the insert.

Here's the finished product. The hole with the red mark has an insert installed in it. As you can see it's just a thread below the top of the hole.

I've had these wheels apart a few times to install different inserts and the helicoils are holding tight. These kits are pretty cheap and can save you from ruining a threaded part. These come in 2, 2.5 and 3mm kits. If I would have known about these I could have fixed the C-hubs on my VP wraith axles.
Killer info. Good for the back of the melon until needed.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread repair in wheels, what I had to do. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New M2.5x0.45 Thread Repair kit Locked Up New Products and Great Deals 0 06-06-2020 09:25 AM
New M2.5x0.45 Thread Repair kit Locked Up Locked Up RC 0 05-22-2020 12:45 PM
Time-sert thread repair brian.brigg Tools, and Procedures 3 07-04-2019 11:31 AM
Futaba S9157 Servo Repair Thread Chris_The_Battery_Man Electronics 1 10-19-2011 07:12 AM