Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Couple CI XL foam questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Couple CI XL foam questions...

Sorry but I know that I'll get the right answers here, so...

I picked up some CI 4.75" Comp Cut Inner/ Soft Outer foams. Image online was of what appeared to be a 2-stage set. Now that I've got em in my hands, they look to be a 3-stage... the cc inner, the soft outer, and a 3rd thinner soft foam as well.

>>> So... Can I just run the cc inner and soft outer without using the 3rd ( thinnest) foam?

>>> Is the thinnest soft foam supposed to wrap around the soft outer making for a 3-stage design?

I'm wanting to mount these into a Proline Flat Iron 1.9 x 4.76 tire and it looks like it's going to be super-stuffed with the 3rd foam and also that it might be aggravating to try to get all 3 foams seated correctly.

Any tips, advice, on installing these particular foams? Only foams I've installed/ cut have been single-stage and dual-stage.

Thank you, guys.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Couple CI XL foam questions...

If it’s the correct part number then I’d run all of them. You can take some CA or something like and use a few drops sparingly to hold the outer most foam in place. I’ll take a guess that the 3rd ring is to get to the XL size you ordered.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I didn't use the thin foam when mounting mine up. I figured it was just there for packaging purposes. If you look at their website and their video if how they work, the thin foam is no where in sight.
Ghonda99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thank you guys. Makes sense. This is the CWR-2034. Since I'm mounting them on bead-locks I may just try running the two main foams initially and see how they perform... then add the thinnest band if it seems potentially beneficial.

Great tip... never considered using small amt of CA to keep foams together.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

CI Phone Number:
(903) 561-7891
CI web store:
RC Crawler Foams, Rock Crawler Foams, Tires and More by Crawler Innovations
CI store email:
crawlerinnovations@gmail.com

The 1/4" foam rings are tuning rings and designed to go outside the outer. They are a tuning device and given away for free to all customers as a gift to maintain sales after Pro-Line copied our foam design in 2017. CI should sell the tuning rings. CI is ultimately run entirely by me and there is only so much I can do in a day.

Personally, I rarely use the tuning rings. When I do, they are usually in very heavy builds or custom tires.

I also rarely use the 4.75" Lil Nova. I'm not a fan of 2.2 size tires on 1.9 rims. The 4.75 LN is the tallest LN Inner and designed to hold the most weight.

Last edited by Nova's Ark; 03-09-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spell check
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If a guy needs/wants the extra foam ring for tread support they can be glued onto the regular outer ring with a light coat of 3M 77 adhesive. This stuff will bind foam to itself like there isn't even a seam, and remains flexible. I use it for other projects and had some on hand, and used the tuning foams for a different foam set to increase support. Cut them to circumference and glued the seam and to the other outer foams.

They are also color-coded for their density - the coding description on the package fold-over. Nice product.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The Flat Iron XL's are listed as 4.75 so the CWR-2034 appeared to be best suited. Again... very new to CI foams so I just wasn't sure. I did install them with all 3 rings. Not sure what my rig weighs currently but probably too light for these. Still... the rig seemed to handle quite well. I appreciate the advice and I might pick up another set of CI foams to dial these tires in a bit better.

To Nova's Ark- Thanks so much for th info. Which set would you recommend I run with the particular tires that I've got?

Fwiw- TRX4 with steel portal covers x4/ Gmade Steel 3pc wheels/ Flat Iron XL 1.9/ loose rock, hard pack clay, climbing, rock-crawling.

Last edited by high plains drifter; 03-09-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

^^^^
I thought you might get the same recommendation I got form CI:

For my growlers...actually I bought the pitbull growler from CI along with the foams, and he sent CWR-2035 for the front, and CWR-2036 for the rear.

I never checked to see if he installed the third foam ring.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Couple CI XL foam questions... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got a couple questions nwcrawler Axial Wraith 9 02-16-2014 09:45 AM
Couple questions. i c u in my rear view Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 05-27-2008 01:59 AM
Foam Cutting Questions BJoe Tires and Wheels 8 09-11-2007 09:48 PM
couple questions zrider Newbie General 0 06-30-2007 03:51 PM