Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire test...... Pitbull, WHAT ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tire test...... Pitbull, WHAT ????

At least he is trying something.
More than most.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I absolutely love your GIF, but the information you might gain is incremental, at best...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I absolutely love your GIF, but the information you might gain is incremental, at best...
For sure. No testing is going to give you a conclusive "winner" for your particular application.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I think foams are pretty important so why didn't the OP specify what foams were being used? Maybe because the stock RB foams are a detriment to performance and the Duratrax are equally as bad where any sidehill would have rolled the truck.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Do you guys understand how friction works? The difference in the coefficient of friction between that static surface and the number of other objects interacting with it (i.e. the tires) can still give valuable information about the variability between tires. Just because you don't run on wood (which, incidentally, quite a lot of indoor RC crawler courses use), doesn't mean the tests don't have value. Any valuable test that gives info that others can actually use needs to remove as many variables as possible. Crawling up a clean rock back to back in consistent weather conditions would be best, but you can learn almost as much from how they do on wet and dry plywood tests.

I don't agree with anything you have posted in regards to this guys tests.

However it is clear that you get it, and are absolutely right about coefficient of friction and tread design(mechanical grip)

An incline board with a high friction coating would be an excellent way to conduct test to determine foam/tire combinations. You would get plenty of good data on friction. However that is only half the function of tires, so a mechanical grip test would need to be devised. Something like crawling up a board covered in legos, or with consistent and repeatable pattern.

Nothing in nature is that constant so testing can only get you so far.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I don't agree with anything you have posted in regards to this guys tests.

However it is clear that you get it, and are absolutely right about coefficient of friction and tread design(mechanical grip)

An incline board with a high friction coating would be an excellent way to conduct test to determine foam/tire combinations. You would get plenty of good data on friction. However that is only half the function of tires, so a mechanical grip test would need to be devised. Something like crawling up a board covered in legos, or with consistent and repeatable pattern.

Nothing in nature is that constant so testing can only get you so far.
Agreed. Maybe if people want to start sending me a bunch of tires, I'll take your suggestion and devise a more controlled set of tests.

Right now, the best test sets I've seen are Exocage's tests that everybody is crapping on, and 1967illya's tests. They're both somewhat flawed, but they're about the only comparison tests that I'm seeing where the environment is somewhat controlled.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I just keep thinking of watching 1:1 tire manufacturers testing on those custom tracks that they have, with the different surfaces, cobblestones, ribbed concrete, wet and dry asphalt... That is much more like it...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
There are 2 factors at play, the tread design and the tire's compound. The plywood does nothing to address the tread design, but very adequately addresses the compound differences. Like I said, data points. No one test is all-inclusive, but the more you know, the better off you are.

Not exactly.

Going off of your logic, this test could have been done on ice. Since the surface is controlled then you would still get a comparison of the tread design and rubber compound. Obviously, that test would be useless. Testing on plywood isn't much better because it has a relatively low coefficient of friction when compared to terrain in the real world.

Controlled, comparative tests are a good tool and that's it. Nobody should judge their tire purchase decision on one test. I think we can all agree on that.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Not exactly.

Going off of your logic, this test could have been done on ice. Since the surface is controlled then you would still get a comparison of the tread design and rubber compound. Obviously, that test would be useless. Testing on plywood isn't much better because it has a relatively low coefficient of friction when compared to terrain in the real world.

Controlled, comparative tests are a good tool and that's it. Nobody should judge their tire purchase decision on one test. I think we can all agree on that.
Clean glass would be ideal, it would really show how compounds work. Plus you can see contact patch of different tires.

It would be great to observe different foams from underneath.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

I love the tire tests, but they are all somewhat irrelevant for me personally.. our local terrain/weather is SO varied, so in the end it boils down to personal preferences.. at least for me. But overall, I like pro-line tires the most, because of the price/looks/performance combination.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Clean glass would be ideal, it would really show how compounds work. Plus you can see contact patch of different tires.

It would be great to observe different foams from underneath.

Clean glass would be even further away from "real world" terrain than plywood. The tires with the stickiest compounds would excel. Those same tires are the ones that stop working once they have a layer of dirt / sand / grit stuck to them (ie: real world) - and then try to climb a rock face.

In my opinion, the best testing area would be a large, steep, somewhat smooth rock face. Something with an easy entry angle, and a flat area infront of it. Trucks could be driven from ground to rock and up face (on a chalk marked trail at an even speed) clean, then the area infront of the rock could be covered in loose dirt, sand, mud, water, etc. on individual test runs, respectively.

The same brand and setup of single or dual stage foam would have to be used in each tire, same truck and wheel, etc.

All of this would preferrably be done with the same truck, first set up stock, then set up with multiple mods to weight the vehicle and simulate a heavy build.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
^^ Think ya got enough variables in there? LOL
I had a few more come to mind after hitting post - actually, why lie, at least a dozen more. The fact is none of the videos posted mean jack shit, and only an extremely inclusive test would mean anything.

Or you could just buy what you like, keeping in mind what has worked for those who's opinions you trust.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
Clean glass would be even further away from "real world" terrain than plywood. .

So you what you're saying is you don't get it at all and have no clue how to conduct testing that eliminates bias?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So you what you're saying is you don't get it at all and have no clue how to conduct testing that eliminates bias?
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings by disagreeing with the usefulness of your proposed test - if it's any condolence, it's only the internet.

No one crawls on clean glass. No one crawls on surfaces similar to clean glass. Such a test would be about as useful would be about as useful as... I don't know, testing tires on plywood?

Fact is unless someone wants to post test similar to what I described, they are worth no more than their entertainment value.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Or as we like to say...Run whatcha brung.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings by disagreeing with the usefulness of your proposed test - if it's any condolence, it's only the internet.

No one crawls on clean glass. No one crawls on surfaces similar to clean glass. Such a test would be about as useful would be about as useful as... I don't know, testing tires on plywood?

Fact is unless someone wants to post test similar to what I described, they are worth no more than their entertainment value.
Nah i just think your an idiot and tried to point it out politely. But clearly that went over your head.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I use a small slab of granite countertop turned upside down so I'm driving on the rough side, its useful in testing out grip an angles. From what I've observed on that there are far too many variables for testing tire grip even with such a simple formula (one consistent surface with a static angle). Some days I'll have it walk right up it with out spinning a tire then minutes later it wont grip at all, its quite mysterious. Temperature, humidity, and a whole bunch of other factors must be in play here and making a concrete judgment is out the window.

Heres a clip of the granite slab turned upside down
https://youtu.be/mGYqs-kuJ0s?t=5m20s

On a side note I ran it with the polished side up and it was nothing but a test of wheelspeed
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nah i just think your an idiot and tried to point it out politely. But clearly that went over your head.
Yep, definitely sounds like I hit a nerve.

If putting down a stranger because they disagree with an idea you posted makes you feel better about your own shortcomings, all the power to you. Can't say I don't feel a little sorry for you.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #39
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Tests where about as useful as decent kick to the nuts......

I will say i am a PB nut swinger, and do not like KLRs or the company that made them

You can't take bias out of tyre tests if there is still a human on the controller

You would need to have some thing like computer controlling the car, it will be the only way to make sure the human doesn't take a different line or what not, then you have foam choice......human bias again.

What is it with window licker's and needing a youtube 'test' before they can make a choice, go watch some trucks and see what works for you area, keep in mind weight and setup will have a fair bit to do with it
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

BDR, I'm pretty sure I can't just go "watch some trucks" in a 100+ km radius from where I live, if not more. Let alone see a couple different tires in filthy dirty live action.

So forums and yt tests are all some of us have got to go on when ordering stuff.

I try to take everything with a grain of salt... and end up buying whatever I can find on sale anyway, lolz
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire test...... Pitbull, WHAT ???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pitbull tire should I get? sdmf Tires and Wheels 17 07-19-2015 12:14 AM
Tf2 1.55 pitbull growler test... seychelles Videos! 0 08-31-2013 03:04 PM
Pitbull pic test TNCrawler Testing 1 2 3 0 09-16-2012 11:35 AM
Axial 2.2 Rock Lizards Tire, tire test rockwerks Tires and Wheels 1 05-27-2007 03:02 PM
LOTS PICS, Shock test, Narrow Wheel Test, Tire Pattern Test, LOTS inside Mutt General Crawlers 9 12-28-2005 09:30 PM