Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Axial R35 vs RTR tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial R35 vs RTR tires

Often on youtube, people make a big deal about Axial's tires.. whether they are R35 or some harder compound. But I don't get it. I have Maxxis trepadors R35 and RTR stock from the Deadbolt and they feel EXACTLY the same. Also on the product information on the RTRs G6 Falken and CRC Jeep Wrangler, it says specifically that they come with R35 .. so.. is it all a hoax?
Does Axial even make other compounds? I know some rigs come with S30, but then it's clearly mentioned in the product description as an exception.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 04-20-2018 at 03:37 PM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Default Re: Axial R35 vs RTR tires

Axial R35 tires suck. Compare them to a good tire from Pit Bull or Proline and you'll see what I mean.

R35 tires aren't even much better than Axial's S30 RTR compound which is what you're noticing.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've had 1.9 and 2.2 Axial Ripsaws that were quite good after the usual Simple Green soaking, good firm single stage foams and a little break-in crawling. My 1.9 Trepadors are good too, mounted on RC4WD steel wagon wheels with CI Deuces Wild single stage foams. I've not done a side by side with Proline, but the 1.9 Ripsaws did great at Axialfest!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The r35 ripsaws are realy nice tires just about as good as my hyraxs on every thing but loose dirt
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have both compounds mounted on stock glue on rims, both in the falken wildpeak mt tread pattern. I will in the near future throw them on my F150 to test them, maybe a trail run each.

I ran the r35 ripsaw's extensively, and found they worked nearly as good in every situation I run in as g8 Proline tsl's.

I did run the wild peaks on my wifes Hilux for a while and didnt have any problems.

To be fair I haven't really given the s30's a good shake yet. I will this summer.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
Often on youtube, people make a big deal about Axial's tires.. whether they are R35 or some harder compound. But I don't get it. I have Maxxis trepadors R35 and RTR stock from the Deadbolt and they feel EXACTLY the same. Also on the product information on the RTRs G6 Falken and CRC Jeep Wrangler, it says specifically that they come with R35 .. so.. is it all a hoax?
Does Axial even make other compounds? I know some rigs come with S30, but then it's clearly mentioned in the product description as an exception.

G6 Falken and the 2012 CRC Jeep Wrangler both came with R35 compound tires. 1.9 Ripsaws and Maxxis Trepadors are again the same R35.

The new 10.2 RTR Honcho and 2017 10.2 CRC Wrangler have the medium compound S30 tires

Axials hard compound R40 was pretty much reserved to 2.2 BFGs on the Poison Spyder Wraith and Yeti as well as the original green Wraith which had R40 Ripsaws.

Most disregard Axials tires for other aftermarket options though. Personally, I have been running a set of Axial R35 1.9s since 2014 and have no desire to replace them. It takes Crawler Innovations foams to get the most out of em IMO

just my 0.02
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I've had 1.9 and 2.2 Axial Ripsaws that were quite good after the usual Simple Green soaking, good firm single stage foams and a little break-in crawling. My 1.9 Trepadors are good too, mounted on RC4WD steel wagon wheels with CI Deuces Wild single stage foams. I've not done a side by side with Proline, but the 1.9 Ripsaws did great at Axialfest!
I did the soak for like a week, and stuffed my kit RR10 Baja T/A R35 tires with CI DD Comp-cut 5.25" medium outers, mounted them on Incision Methods. I'll be using them as basher tires on gravel and limestone ledges. While they sit there, waiting for me to assemble something to put them on, every once in a while I pick them up, they are always stuck to each other and still feel very tacky, a couple of months after removing them from the bucket of Simple Green/Purple Power/Greased Lightning/Mean Green Super Strength. With a dash of window cleaner to taste. And lots of boiling water. As the water level would drop in the bucket over a day, from evaporation - I'd add more boiling water and stir. After a week or so, I rinsed them really well. Let them sit out and air dry for a couple days, assembled them, then about a week later I wiped the outsides down with rubbing alcohol and lightly wrapped them in plastic and stacked them in a box. They are not being compressed - the CI foam isn't being "crushed". They just wait, patiently.

I do have better things to do, but it was kinda fun - in a mad scientist sort of way...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

I do have better things to do, but it was kinda fun - in a mad scientist sort of way...
Haha Sounds like fun, you're pretty thorough! Great to get the most out of your tires!

Old 04-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Most disregard Axials tires for other aftermarket options though. Personally, I have been running a set of Axial R35 1.9s since 2014 and have no desire to replace them. It takes Crawler Innovations foams to get the most out of em IMO
just my 0.02
Amen to that. I also like Axials.. they're underrated.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I've been doing that soak to all the tires I've been getting, again - mostly out of boredom. The RC4WD Goodyear MT/R 1.7" tires in their new compound seemed to not need to stay in for very long, so I was only a couple days on those. Since I wasn't using the Vaterra stock TSLs, I threw them in there (foams were way too soft) to hopefully start to dissolve the CA holding them to the plastic wheels... Didn't do much good, so I boiled them for a while, them baked them off (I only have a regular kitchen stove, no small toaster oven). They finally came off, and I stuffed them with the cheapest foams I could find that were multi-stage, (gulp!) yep, Integy's so-called 3-stage foams, each stage is a different color of open cell foam - and I can't even tell the difference between the firmness of them... I think they may be as bad as the stock foams! But, mounted them up on the cheapest decent-looking aluminum beadlocks on fleaBay/Amazon and with all that soaking/boiling/baking they are incredibly sticky right now. They may "dry" out a little more before I get them out on the trail, I dunno.

And, I'm off to bed.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Like the tire that came on my Spawn, they are Ripsaws, apparently. They seem to work well on the rig.

The tires that came on the Yeti not so much. They are the BFG MT replicas. Likely they are too blockish to for such a small OD tire though.

I would expect that guys pushing hard on the rocks are the ones who are going to notice subtle differences in rubber compounds. I am more in dirt and debris than rocks generally and have gotten a sense that tread pattern is more relevant for me...at least up until this point.

Last edited by smog; 04-21-2018 at 07:04 AM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The medium compound Trepadors that came with my Spawn kit were pretty disappointing. 1.9 Treps in soft compound I drove on my buddies SCX were much better.

Although they have a similar tread, the Flat Irons XL G8 I have on my Wraith now are waaay better than the Treps, even in loose dirt. I'd say mostly due to the softer rubber. On mildly slippery rocks and roots it's no contest, the Treps are useless there.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
The medium compound Trepadors that came with my Spawn kit were pretty disappointing. 1.9 Treps in soft compound I drove on my buddies SCX were so much better
I have read other places as well that the 2.2 Treps were not good. It's a pity. The 2.2 Ripsaws from Spawn are good.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Like the tire that came on my Spawn, they are Ripsaws, apparently. They seem to work well on the rig.
I agree. The thread pattern basically rips through stuff

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #15

Ripsaws work well because of the tread design not because of the rubber compound IMO.

Has Axial's R35 compound changed over time? It's possible. Lots of Axial parts have changed due to them not paying their suppliers and having to find new ones.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial R35 vs RTR tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX12015 Axial 2.2 Ripsaw Tires – R35 Compound Matt.k Tires and Wheels 53 03-30-2011 08:25 PM