Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Nord-Lock washers - Anyone try them on axle nuts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Nord-Lock washers - Anyone try them on axle nuts?

Nord-Lock washers (aka "Wedge Lock Washers") - Anyone try them on axle nuts?

Firstly - let me get this out of the way - they are NOT cheap...

Roughly $25 for 10 at the first place I checked (yowza!).

*Edit - those are the highest-grade stainless (254 SMO Stainless Steel) - there are 3 types of steel, also have slightly lower-grade SS and then carbon steel, which is the bargain of the trio - $19 for 20, links at the bottom of the post...

The reason I have for considering such insanely-priced bits of hardware?

I have ended up with a disturbing number of wheel & tire sets for my crawler(s).

I'm really wanting to swap them back and forth a LOT - and we all know how long nylock nuts last when treated like that.... not very.

So, I was asking a friend of mine that installed a turbo kit and quite a few other mods on a Miata - and he said "Have ya heard of Nord-Locks?"

So, I looked them up - and wow - these are TRULY the mother of all lock washers!

Quote:

"These washers have cams or wedges on one side, with a lead angle greater than a thread angle, and radial teeth or ribs on the other side. The washers are installed cam face to cam face. When tightening the fastener to preload, the teeth penetrate and seat against the joint material and the nut and/or fastener head. When subjected to vibration the interacting cams create a wedge action which prevents the fastener from vibrating loose."

I'm thinking (after perusing their catalog) that the best size & type to pick for standard Axial (etc.) axles is listed below (Dimensions should be identical for all 3 types of steel available, only the part number changes):

Nord-Lock 254 SMO washers (M4 - small outer diameter)

Part# NL4ss-254

Type: Stainless Steel Washer

Inside Diameter: 4,4mm or 0,17”

Outside Diameter: 7,6mm or 3/10”

Thickness: 2,2mm or 0,09”

Metric: M4

UNC: #8

So, before I order a set of 10 for $25 - or, more likely, the cheaper carbon-steel ones at 20 for $19 (free shipping with Prime) - any experiences or thoughts on these?

Ah, before I forget - link for purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...re-bullets-btf

Or for the slightly cheaper (softer) plain stainless steel (not the "Ultimate" 254 SMO Stainless Steel), McMaster-Carr has them (as "Wedge Lock Washers") for $8.96 for 5 - so, $18 for 10 - gotta check shipping costs, though:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=1cnupnm

And, cheapest - carbon steel, zinc-coated - just under $19 for twice as many (20 "paired" washers):

https://www.amazon.com/locking-washe...=wedge+locking

Last edited by durok; 05-02-2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Found them at McMaster-Carr!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Nord-Lock washers - Anyone try them on axle nuts?

I used them on my exhaust manifold and turbo for my VW. So far so good there. But I scored them from my work, so freebie.

As for axle washers, they may do the trick. They are significantly thicker, though. So a few wheels may not have enough thread for a full nut depending on hub type.

You can get 100 of these for $10.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122599345751
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Nord-Lock washers - Anyone try them on axle nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I used them on my exhaust manifold and turbo for my VW. So far so good there. But I scored them from my work, so freebie.

As for axle washers, they may do the trick. They are significantly thicker, though. So a few wheels may not have enough thread for a full nut depending on hub type.

You can get 100 of these for $10.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122599345751
I was thinking I could use a thin M4 nut with no nylon insert with these washers, hopefully... I should just go ahead and test them out!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Interestingly enough, I just learned about these myself. I happen to enjoy a guy on the YouTube who goes by the name AVE. He recently messed around with some to see what lock washers hold up better and basically shows you the “torque” required to break them free once tightened. I think the end result with those particular washers was that the threaded material (your axle) basically needs to stretch enough for the angled teeth to disengage. On bigger stuff that you may just check that it’s tight is one thing, but I have the feeling using them on a 4 or 5mm threaded shaft may fatigue them quicker. Think at that price you’re better off ordering a larger box of stainless nylock nuts and tossing them when they’ve outlived their usefulness.
Just my 2 cents.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The majority of stress would be against the axle pin and not necessarily the axle itself.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I put a dab of blue threadlock on the axles...holds the wheels on whether the nylon is in good shape or not.

Serrated nylon locknuts also work great. I have a heck of a time breaking them loose sometimes. Kind of the same principle. I use Traxxas mostly.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Didn’t even think of that. So yeah, just have some back up pins available!
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #8

I'd agree that serrated Nyloc nuts are all you need. Blue thread locker is a good added measure.

The problem, for me, with these washers or any washers is that I usually forget I have them underneath the wheel nut so when I pull of the wheel said washers go running. In the house it's not a big deal. Out on the trail they are usually gone forever. Therefore I've stopped using washers under the wheel nuts unless I absolutely must.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The problem, for me, with these washers or any washers is that I usually forget I have them underneath the wheel nut so when I pull of the wheel said washers go running. In the house it's not a big deal. Out on the trail they are usually gone forever. Therefore I've stopped using washers under the wheel nuts unless I absolutely must.
funny how that work lol. i always find the nut, but not the washer
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
funny how that work lol. i always find the nut, but not the washer
Yeah same here. Maybe nuts gravitate towards each other, eh?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Maybe a good old split washer would be good enough? Dirt cheap as well. I've got to the point of where I just got a big bag of M4 serrated flanged nylon lock nuts and treat them as a consumable item.

Last edited by BigSki; 05-02-2018 at 09:09 AM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Maybe a good old split washer would be good enough? Dirt cheap as well. I've got to the point of where I just got a big bag of M4 serrated flanged nylon lock nuts and treat them as a consumable item.
That's what most people don't know or forget. Nyloc nuts are technically for one use only. Each time you use them they become less effective.

Although there are some people, and even standards, that disagree with this. I believe the MIL-SPEC says they can be reused 5 times.

If you can turn the nut with your fingers the Nylon insert is definitely shot.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 05-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

+ for the traxxass lock nuts i buy them by the bag also but i also use another standered lock nut if theres enuff thread and double nut them and red locktight they still come loose but usaly because or a sheered hex pin or failed bearing something like that
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

My nylocs back off after the first time I swap out wheels. Nordlock washers are amazing. I use them on my ebike axles where a loose nut will result in catastrophic motor/ esc/ or rider damage.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Maybe, but I just buy good quality flanged (non-serrated) nylocks in bulk. When the nylon gets worn, a drop of blue loctite takes care of that. Serrated is not good, I don't want them chewing up my wheels or hubs (depending on what type/brand of wheels).
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Nord-Lock washers - Anyone try them on axle nuts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel lock nuts kcljr2010 Tires and Wheels 3 03-04-2016 10:32 PM
axial axle flanged (lock) nuts 88gators325 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-24-2008 05:11 PM
Source for bolts, nuts, washers...etc? glondark General Crawlers 16 04-02-2005 10:00 PM