Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: DIY half-assed dual-stage foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DIY half-assed dual-stage foams

This example used 1" wide cheap 2.2"wheels and 4.5" tall RC4WD Dune T/A trophy truck tires, they will be used on hardpack and possibly a little pavement.

The concept should be workable for many other applications, however.

Take one 11/16ths-inch wide beadlock inner ring and a roll of 5/8ths-inch wide weatherstripping, wrap the ring with the self-adhesive closed-cell black foam weatherstripping and CA-glue the ends together.

Then insert into low-profile tire with relatively soft stock foam and clamp front and rear beadlock wheel faces together.

Presto, half-assed dual-stage foams!

This idea really only works for either lower-profile sidewall tires or smaller than most diameter wheels and tires because you can't build up enough of a stiffer inside section with weatherstripping to make a noticeable difference in a large volume tire.

I'd imagine it'd work great in many 1.55", 1.7", and small diameter 1.9" tires, however.

If you can't afford or find real dual-stage or stiffer single-stage foams, using weatherstripping foam as the first layer will still allow you some additional firmness in the center of the tread.

If you found thicker and/or wider weatherstripping foam, you could make a more functional setup, especially if you have a wider wheel - this would help more for sidehilling and turning at speed.

I did this because the stock RC4WD foams were very soft, and I was using very narrow wheels - wanted to get just a bit more stiffness without going the extra mile of buying aftermarket foams.

Every little bit counts!
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DIY half-assed dual-stage foams

Homemade tire foams...?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I read that thread when it was posted, while very creative and also functional - this is a different method.

The closed-cell EPDM sponge rubber used in weatherstripping is extremely dense and has rebound.

I have been eyeing my roll of it for many months, waiting for a wheel/tireset where it would come in handy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...MaAvJ6EALw_wcB

Old 04-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I read that thread when it was posted, while very creative and also functional - this is a different method.

The closed-cell EPDM sponge rubber used in weatherstripping is extremely dense and has rebound.

I have been eyeing my roll of it for many months, waiting for a wheel/tireset where it would come in handy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...MaAvJ6EALw_wcB

Yes it is. It’s so dense that it seems to me that it would be almost like running a larger wheel with a recessed bead. (Makes sense in my head) I like where you’re possibly going with it though.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Installed on my TRX-4:

After some running in:

Mud scrubbed off by running on pavement with a dusting of sand:

Old 11-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I tried that my issue was when they got wet they lost there stick and end up floating around inside the tire
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

DIY half-assed dual-stage foams - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6.0 CI dual stage foams in ripsaws evan03 Tires and Wheels 21 11-01-2013 11:33 PM
New 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage foams Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 24 10-20-2009 07:53 AM