Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: SSD - 2 New 1.9" Chrome Steel Wheel Options - Old School!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SSD - 2 New 1.9" Chrome Steel Wheel Options - Old School!

Colour finish is very bad and the edges are not as nice as they could be. they don't cling the tire. And I can't use the most narrow slw hub you offer
Good thing about them, pretty heavy beadlock ring. They weight as much as the gmade sr line.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #62
wyd
Rock Crawler

Very clean looking wheels. I'm using the SSD steel wheels but the bead lock versions and really like them overall.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Hey everybody,

All of you that put these SSD slot wheels on your TRX-4 Bronco, what kind and size Super Swampers did you use? I just placed my order at RPP for these wheels and some Pro-Line Super Swampers. I just noticed a couple of pages back that High Plains Drifter used RedCat IROKs--are they a different diameter?

Of course, I went with these wheels and Swampers to replicate what these rigs looked like when I was a kid. I guess I just assumed that the 4.75" tall Pro-Line Swampers would fit...now I'm not sure. I'd hate to trim the body to fit if they rub, or I guess I could move the body posts up.

Can anyone confirm what I'll need to do to make what I ordered work?
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
Hey everybody,

All of you that put these SSD slot wheels on your TRX-4 Bronco, what kind and size Super Swampers did you use? I just placed my order at RPP for these wheels and some Pro-Line Super Swampers. I just noticed a couple of pages back that High Plains Drifter used RedCat IROKs--are they a different diameter?

Of course, I went with these wheels and Swampers to replicate what these rigs looked like when I was a kid. I guess I just assumed that the 4.75" tall Pro-Line Swampers would fit...now I'm not sure. I'd hate to trim the body to fit if they rub, or I guess I could move the body posts up.

Can anyone confirm what I'll need to do to make what I ordered work?
Can only speak from my experience with other SSD beadlocks, which I love and own two sets. The 4.75 swampers with the memory foam inserts that come with them were a massive pain in the ass to get mounted. I had to trim the crap out of the inserts to get anything going.

The memory foam inserts that come with swampers are pure garbage, way too soft for that tire, no support. I went with Crawler innovations lil nova two-stage foams in medium. The swampers with the two-stage CI foams were WAY easier to get mounted.

I also have a set of the BFG Krawlers in 4.75 from Pro-line and again used CI two-stage foams on SSD beadlocks. Same thing, fairly easy to mount with a little patience.

Long story, short. They will mount, just need patience, maybe some trimming if using the foams that come with them or buy some pro-line or crawler innovations two-stage foams to make life easier and make them perform better.
MADPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #65
RCC Addict

I'm really happy with the Redcat IROKS and run them frequently in sandy/ muddy/ loamy conditions. Mounted up to the slots, they measure approx 116.40 mm x 44.35 mm. I really wanted the more aggressive IROK instead of the Super Swamper. I've got the Proline Swamps on another wheel and I like em okay, but the softer and more aggressive Redcat IROKS just rule on the trail... perfect amount of bite and flex to get up and over or through.

When the suspension on my TRX4 Bronco is fully articulating and at full lock left or right, the Redcat IROKS occasionally rub just a tiny bit but it's not a big deal in the least. That said... I don't want to run anything any bigger than that.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'm really happy with the Redcat IROKS and run them frequently in sandy/ muddy/ loamy conditions. Mounted up to the slots, they measure approx 116.40 mm x 44.35 mm. I really wanted the more aggressive IROK instead of the Super Swamper. I've got the Proline Swamps on another wheel and I like em okay, but the softer and more aggressive Redcat IROKS just rule on the trail... perfect amount of bite and flex to get up and over or through.

When the suspension on my TRX4 Bronco is fully articulating and at full lock left or right, the Redcat IROKS occasionally rub just a tiny bit but it's not a big deal in the least. That said... I don't want to run anything any bigger than that.
It sounds like I run in a lot of the same conditions that you do. Those Redcat IROKs measure out to 4.58" x 1.75" which is a nice size for this rig. It seems most tires go from around 4.20"-ish straight up to 4.75" (the Redcat IROKs notwithstanding). Too bad the companies don't offer tires in a mid range 4.4"-4.5" size.

I think I'm going to be on the lookout for some Redcat IROKs next.

Last edited by RCTom; 12-11-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: fixed misspelled word
Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADPolo View Post
Long story, short. They will mount, just need patience, maybe some trimming if using the foams that come with them or buy some pro-line or crawler innovations two-stage foams to make life easier and make them perform better.
I agree 100%. I have some of each type of these foams lying around so I'll probably do some experimenting after the new tires and wheels arrives.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #68

Question for you guys. I'm new to this R/C stuff and picked up a set of the Chrome SSD 5 slot beadlock wheels with the faux red locking hubs for my totally stock TRX4 Bronco. They look fantastic and my Bronco just screams 1979. LOL

1.9"Â* Steel Slot Beadlock Wheels (Chrome)

Anyway what I noticed though is the when the wheels are installed the axle shaft (or in other words spindles) actually sticks out further than the length of the locking hub itself (which also acts as the wheel nut). Essentially my wheels need to come out about 2mm more for the locking hub to screw down and seat and tighten the wheel.

SSD makes these aluminum hexes, but I'm not sure exactly what their intended purpose is, nor it doesn't say how wide they are. It looks like they might be the same width as the stock TRX4 hexes (5mm), but hard to tell from a picture. Does anybody have these SSD hexes, are they more than 5mm wide? This would be my preference if it will push the wheel out 2mm more.

PARTS FOR TRX-412mm Aluminum Hex Set for TRX-4

SSD also has these hubs/rotors, maybe this is what I need in a 3mm offset, but I'm not really sure? This would be second choice, but only because I was planning to install the Samix brass kit that already includes brake rotors for appearance.

3mm Offset Wheel Hub with Brake Rotor

Thoughts on what I need to do? Maybe I need both the offset rotor/hubs & the hexes? It's not really clear.
Uncoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoiler View Post
Question for you guys. I'm new to this R/C stuff and picked up a set of the Chrome SSD 5 slot beadlock wheels with the faux red locking hubs for my totally stock TRX4 Bronco. They look fantastic and my Bronco just screams 1979. LOL

1.9"Â* Steel Slot Beadlock Wheels (Chrome)

Bronco has longer portal axle than defender(needed for center scale nut). Part 8255 vs 8255A, its about 3mm longer. You have few options. If you like current track width of wheels just cut the excess part with dremel or buy defender version 8255. If you would like 6mm wider track buy samix 8mm hubs, they add 3mm on each side. SSD +3mm hubs/rotors are option too, but not if you want samix potal covers with rotors. In my opinion ssd portal covers are better.
I have it with samix 8mm hub.

And this is with wheel installed.

Last edited by Marek_k; 02-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Marek_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #70

Great info, thanks Marek!
Uncoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:12 AM   #71
SSD
RCC Addict

We now have chrome hubs for chrome wheels:

Scale Hubs (Chrome)
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD - 2 New 1.9" Chrome Steel Wheel Options - Old School! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SNEAK PEEK SSD 1.9 Chrome 8-Hole Steel Wheels!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 07-03-2018 11:55 AM
New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor SSD Tires and Wheels 76 03-19-2018 11:17 AM
Sneak Peak - SSD RC 1.9" Steel 8 Spoke Beadlock Wheels (White)! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 01-22-2018 08:10 PM
SSD 1.9" STEEL D HOLE WHEELS question desertdude Tires and Wheels 16 02-18-2016 03:30 PM