Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Firm foams for 2.2 Rock Beast XOR tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Default Firm foams for 2.2 Rock Beast XOR tires?

I'm thinking about going with some Rock Beast XOR 2.2s for my Yeti kit build. I like that they're a bit wider than most tires, plus I may want to compare them to the Chinese knock-off versions for fun. The problem I'm running into is figuring out what foams will be both firm enough, and wide enough to properly fill out those wide tires.

Pitbull offers the Dos Pieza dual stage foams as the foam of choice for that tire. I have those foams in my 2.2 Rock Beast IIs and they allow the tire to move side to side way too much for what I want on the Yeti.

Everybody else's foams seem to be too narrow to really work properly with the XORs. The only real solution that I can think of is CI Deuces Wild foams with a bunch of tuning disks to fill out the tire, but that seems like it could get complicated if the wheel isn't also wide enough to accommodate that extra foam.

Does anybody have any experience with Pit Bull's single stage foams? They have a firm foam that seems like it might be ok, provided it's firm enough.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Firm foams for 2.2 Rock Beast XOR tires?

Im curious in this as well since these tires are 2.5 inchs wide mounted i have a set in 1.9s and 2.2s. The 1.9s come with a extremely firm foam wish the foams pit bull recommended for the 2.2s was the same. They seem to be a well rounded tire except mud is theyre kryptonite lmao.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm thinking about going with some Rock Beast XOR 2.2s for my Yeti kit build. I like that they're a bit wider than most tires, plus I may want to compare them to the Chinese knock-off versions for fun. The problem I'm running into is figuring out what foams will be both firm enough, and wide enough to properly fill out those wide tires.

Pitbull offers the Dos Pieza dual stage foams as the foam of choice for that tire. I have those foams in my 2.2 Rock Beast IIs and they allow the tire to move side to side way too much for what I want on the Yeti.

Everybody else's foams seem to be too narrow to really work properly with the XORs. The only real solution that I can think of is CI Deuces Wild foams with a bunch of tuning disks to fill out the tire, but that seems like it could get complicated if the wheel isn't also wide enough to accommodate that extra foam.

Does anybody have any experience with Pit Bull's single stage foams? They have a firm foam that seems like it might be ok, provided it's firm enough.
Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you don't have a really wide wheel, you'll just want a foam that will fill out the tire properly. It'll stretch the outer diameter a bit and narrows the tire down a bit. I'm using CI two stages in my 1.9 XORs and basically the open cell outer foam just stretches the wheel diameter enough so that the tire sits nice and flush with no sagging or empty space. And it grips reaaaallly well.
Joonatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Do u thing those 2 stage CI's for the 1.9 tires could fit 2.2 rims in them still i know the stock foams that came in them had to be. And any idea of what CI foams whould fit a 2.5" wide and a 5.5" tall tire since thats what the xor's are mounted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonatin View Post
If you don't have a really wide wheel, you'll just want a foam that will fill out the tire properly. It'll stretch the outer diameter a bit and narrows the tire down a bit. I'm using CI two stages in my 1.9 XORs and basically the open cell outer foam just stretches the wheel diameter enough so that the tire sits nice and flush with no sagging or empty space. And it grips reaaaallly well.

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

CI does have the Deuces Wild for 2.2” wheels. Dual stage and single stage. At least for dual stage you’ll probably want to look at the 5.5 versions with your preference of firmness. But as I said, unless you have a 2” wide rim, you most likely don’t have to worry about the width of the tire. If you try to stuff a 2.5” wide closed cell foam on a 1” wide tire, it will end up looking hilarious, and you’ll have a really hard time getting the beads to stay in their place. Even a firm open cell foam that is too wide will cause some cursing unless you cut it a bit. If you want a wider top, ask CI if they can make you a wider outer foam, or order extra outer foams and glue them together. Some airspace around the closed cell foam shouldn’t be an issue at all. Ci can probably also give you better recommendation than me on what to get.
Joonatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:04 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Anyone know if the 2.2 Dirty Richard foams are wide enough for these tires? I really like the firmness of the 1.9 XOR stock foam so I am looking to get those same foams for my 2.2 versions.
J_Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #7

Update: I ended up using the Deuces Wild 3003 foams in the rear along with a single tuning ring to take up the extra space. To be honest, the tire seemed to be fine without the tuning ring, but there is more sidewall support with it. In the front I used CI's new firmer foam, also with a single tuning ring to take up the extra width. I put the tuning rings at the inside of each tire so that the majority of the forces on the tires during turning would fall onto the full foam and not on the tuning ring.

I haven't had a chance to drive the truck yet, but in terms of how the tires feel on the work bench, I suspect this setup will work very well.

Here's my video where I discuss it:
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Firm foams for 2.2 Rock Beast XOR tires? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Beast XOR tires NWHavok Axial Wraith 4 04-12-2016 11:12 AM