Thread: Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Loving the look with the wheels...SSD?

Yep! I've got Warn lock-outs on the way for the fronts and MT alum hubs for the rears.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #22

Sorry if I missed it, but was is the OD of the Redcat Iroks?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Redcats at 115 x 43 mm

In first post jato
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Redcats at 115 x 43 mm

In first post jato
I read right past that and for some reason I only saw the dimensions of the GMade tires in the first post. Sorry and thank you!

4.5" is a good size. I might need to pick some up.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #25

Default Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I read right past that and for some reason I only saw the dimensions of the GMade tires in the first post. Sorry and thank you!

4.5" is a good size. I might need to pick some up.

They're decent, & look massive with an XJ body. (Look a bit more scale on the Bronco shell) Still the same truck as in the Bronco video up there^^^^, just a hard body with interior on it now. I recommend a foam swap with a hard body.... The extra weight gets to the stock foams after awhile, even on non-vented wheels.
*note that I run them backwards. They're good the right way, but backwards, they're like claws on the rocks. It might just be me, but I find backwards is the way to go on slick surfaced or wet rocks, as well as sandy terrain or fine loose gravel.

Last edited by TUSOffRoad; 07-20-2018 at 05:12 PM.
TUSOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #26
RCC Addict

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the redcat have two different foams. The sport and pro gen7's have their own foam for each. So that could play in a part of which to choose.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #27

Default Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

Quote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the redcat have two different foams. The sport and pro gen7's have their own foam for each. So that could play in a part of which to choose.

I hadn’t even thought about that, but yeah, I think that probably would play a part. I personally have sport foams in mine (because I stole ‘em off the wife’s rig lol) & I think they were ok at first, but now the weight of the rig is starting to have a permanent effect on the softness of them
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #28
RCC Addict

When I was looking for the Redcats there was no place that specified any foam-choice availability. Most of the listings were on ebay but I ordered mine from Horizon. These foams are super soft but without venting I kind of like the way they flex. White color fwiw... Part # 13852. I also think I saw an ebay listing where the foams appeared grey-color but dunno if they were Pro or if they were actually grey... might've been a bad pic.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #29
RCC Addict

White foam is pro/ grey foam is sport.

Sport foams
https://www.amainhobbies.com/redcat-...r13811/p711712

Pro foams
https://www.amainhobbies.com/redcat-...r13852/p711754

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 07-20-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #30

Quote:

Well, damn. If that’s the case, the sport I bought for my wife had pro foams in it right outta the box lol good deal! I’m not sure if Redcat made a mistake there or something, but I dig it lol
Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Good Lord it's hell getting old... Never even saw that Amain carried the Redcat brand in their tire section.

AARP should be sending me some pamphlets any day now...
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 AM   #32
RCC Addict

To be honest. I had to dig a little to find the information. First to redcat's site to get part #s (site sucks for descriptions) then googled part numbers and searched amain's site a little.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Really appreciate the additional info on these tires & foams.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Any more reviews on these tires? work better on heavier or lighter rigs? slow or fast wheelspeed?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #35
RCC Addict

On my TRX4's I've so far run Flat Irons, PL Swampers ( TSL SX), and the RC4WD Boggers. Although I haven't had the chance to run on pure rock yet, on the trail the Redcat IROK's are absolutely kicking the other aforementioned tires to the curb.

I ran these new IROK's at a spot that I've run all the other tires previously, so I think the comparison is valid. The TSL's do pretty badly out here yet the Flat Irons and Boggers both do fairly well. They all have their weaknesses since there's some varying conditions between loose rock, hard-packed clay, very loose granulated dirt, and flat limestone ledges but the IROK's did much better than the others.

No idea how they'll perform rock-crawling but they just churn through loose dry loamy dirt and sand like nobody's business. You can really "feel" how deep the lugs are as they dig in. On steep hard pack [red rock] clay they also just crawl right up. I ran them for about 2.5-3 hrs and by the time they were finally coated in fine silica dust, they didn't perform as well as they did when they were clean and fresh, but they still continued to impress me. Still running with the included white foams and I think that they're actually pretty well suited for this particular tire. Decent sidewall flex but definitely not mushy unlike my buddy's PL MTR's with stock foam which are imo way too soft. Width and OD also seem to be perfect for the TRX4 Bronco... no excessive rubbing while rotating during articulation and not too thin/ not too wide. TBH ( especially for the price) I could not be happier. I think that a combination of tread pattern, soft-ish compound, and deep lugs are what make this tire such a winner. There were definitely areas where the rig struggled but that was really just the softest and/ or steepest ascents.

These are all the pics that I think best show the tires performing...

Old 08-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Any more reviews on these tires? work better on heavier or lighter rigs? slow or fast wheelspeed?

My rig is pretty heavy at this point although I don't have the exact weight... I'm guessing 9-11 lbs but not absolutely sure. These things grab like crazy when they're spinning. I actually made it up a loose rocky incline that I've never been able to successfully do before now... the IROKS grabbing and clawing their way to the top. I tried it a half dozen times with other tires but this was the first times that I made it all the way up past the crest. Didn't do much slow-speed technical-type crawling but as long as they were able to grab hold of something, they would walk over just about anything at a slower pace.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'm digging the look you have for your Bronco. However, did you lose a driveshaft pin or something? You seem to be only FWD in this pic.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
I'm digging the look you have for your Bronco. However, did you lose a driveshaft pin or something? You seem to be only FWD in this pic.

Thanks! No... rear wheels were bogged down so she was spinning the fronts only. If I had been locked then all 4 would have been spinning but unlocked there's going to be some slip. This should be considered normal for the TRX4, yes?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #39

Quote:
So what's the difference in foams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
On my TRX4's I've so far run Flat Irons, PL Swampers ( TSL SX), and the RC4WD Boggers. Although I haven't had the chance to run on pure rock yet, on the trail the Redcat IROK's are absolutely kicking the other aforementioned tires to the curb.

I ran these new IROK's at a spot that I've run all the other tires previously, so I think the comparison is valid. The TSL's do pretty badly out here yet the Flat Irons and Boggers both do fairly well. They all have their weaknesses since there's some varying conditions between loose rock, hard-packed clay, very loose granulated dirt, and flat limestone ledges but the IROK's did much better than the others.

No idea how they'll perform rock-crawling but they just churn through loose dry loamy dirt and sand like nobody's business. You can really "feel" how deep the lugs are as they dig in. On steep hard pack [red rock] clay they also just crawl right up. I ran them for about 2.5-3 hrs and by the time they were finally coated in fine silica dust, they didn't perform as well as they did when they were clean and fresh, but they still continued to impress me. Still running with the included white foams and I think that they're actually pretty well suited for this particular tire. Decent sidewall flex but definitely not mushy unlike my buddy's PL MTR's with stock foam which are imo way too soft. Width and OD also seem to be perfect for the TRX4 Bronco... no excessive rubbing while rotating during articulation and not too thin/ not too wide. TBH ( especially for the price) I could not be happier. I think that a combination of tread pattern, soft-ish compound, and deep lugs are what make this tire such a winner. There were definitely areas where the rig struggled but that was really just the softest and/ or steepest ascents.

These are all the pics that I think best show the tires performing...
Which foams are you running?
Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

These are great looking tires in that not quite too large category like the Vaterra Swampers. I really like the tread pattern of both company's Swampers!
Vaterra TSL SX Swampers specs from RPP Hobby
Size mounted on Gear Head 1.9 EZ-Loc Wheels is 4.55" Tall x 1.69" Wide

The G-Made MT1904 tires are ugly non-scale tires.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-08-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swaping Redcat Everest 10 chassis to gmade r1 #lifebehindbars General Crawlers 10 07-07-2018 07:01 PM
Gmade MT1904 sawhead Tires and Wheels 16 04-06-2018 02:11 PM
My Gmade R1 RedCat Kcsport Redcat Crawlers 16 03-08-2013 06:50 PM
Gmade r1 Redcat, Rebuild Kcsport Redcat Crawlers 5 06-07-2011 06:57 PM