Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

I haven't seen much feedback on either of these tires but both of them interest me for my next trail tire. If you have any real-world experience with either of them, please reply here with your impressions/ advice. Also if you have opinions on the foams included with either of these tires, please post up. I do assume that foams in both of these are probably pretty stiff but really... no idea. For what it's worth, I have no problem cutting some foam if advised. Lastly, I have no idea how soft or supple either of these tires are. The Gmade MT1904 spec a S5 compound but I don't know how soft or sticky that actually is. I have found nothing about the compound of the Redcat IROK.

What has brought me to narrowing it down to these two:

* I want a very aggressive trail tire for loose dirt, uphill climbs, wet soil, climbing over rocks and branches/ roots but I don't plan on using these tires in pure mud btw.

* I like the cost of both these tires... The IROK's coming in at about $18 pr. and the MT1904's coming in at about $22 pr.

* Most other aggressive tires out there are too big regarding OD. At this point I'm leaning towards the Gmades because they are an almost perfect size for my rig at 121 x 45 mm vs the Redcats at 115 x 43 mm. But since size isn't everything, I'm still considering the Redcats for other reasons.

* I like the look of the Redcats a little bit better since they appear more realistic being styled after the actual IROK. The Gmade's look more "bro-truck" inspired which I don't care for as much. But just like size, looks aren't everything either. Performance is priority.

That's where I'm at now so please let me hear what y'all say. It doesn't seem like either of these tires are very popular so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone could either break the tie for me or I guess give me another suggestion that fits within my needs and my budget. Has to be soft, not too big ( 4.75 is too big), have very aggressive tread and sidewall, be a solid performer in various terrain, and be relatively inexpensive.

Thanks so much and I hope that my inquiry might also help someone else that may be considering either of these tires.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904

I have the GMade on my scx10 but I have yet to run them. They are soft and burly looking and I have high hopes for them. I plan on making new links soon and give it a run.

I know nothing on the other set mentioned.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've only run the Redcats once, but they are pretty darn good. The stock foam is way too soft - needs something stiffer for sure. Open tread did great pretty much everywhere here in PA dirt and on rocks.

I run Gmade 1901's and have run 1902's. The compound is not as sticky as some of the bigger names, but they did ok for me. Stock foams are just terrible as well. I run my 1901's with DS foams on my Yota and they work pretty well. They spin instead of "hop and grab" which I like.

Don't think either one would be a bad choice to be honest.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You want some tires that aren't too big, perform great, and don't cost a lot?

How about some OG 4.3 inch Proline Swampers at 50% off (about $17/pair shipped)?

Proline Interco TSL SX Super Swamper 1.9" G8 Rock Terrain Truck Tires (2) w/Memory Foam for Front or Rear # 1163-14
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #5

I have a Gen7 Sport, which obviously came with the IROK tires. I'm very happy with how they grip. I have no complaints with the foams either, though the Gen7 Sport is pretty light weight, so the cheap foams seem to be a pretty good match. Most of the foam complaints that I hear seem to come from Pro owners. Those trucks use a "better" memory foam, but they seem to break down pretty quickly.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

I run the IROK’s on my TRX-4. Love ‘em. I agree with the others; the stock foams are a bit soft, but they work pretty well besides that. I personally run them on non-vented wheels, & they stiffen up just enough that way. I’d say give ‘em a try!
I can post video of how they work as well, if you’d like. Just let me know.

Last edited by TUSOffRoad; 07-11-2018 at 07:09 AM.
TUSOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have some 1.9 CI comp cuts in mine. Can’t find a pic but they flatten out the tread some which I like.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
RCC Addict

If it isn't too much trouble, yes... I'd love to see some video of the Redcat IROK's in action. Very much appreciated!

Sounds like both are good tires but that the foams could be a critical component to the performance of either one. My rig is pretty heavy at this point so I'd guess that the IROK foams would almost assuredly need to be replaced. But also sounds like maybe with the right set of PL's or CI's that either of these tires could do really well on the trail under my rig.

@ OSC- When you say terrible, you mean too soft or too firm? Also... what brand or type of dual stage foams did you run in the 1901's?

@ svt923- I'm currently running those tires with DS PL foams and the tire just doesn't seem to have enough sidewall bite. The shoulder profile is a bit too rounded also. I like them in certain conditions and I really like the PL foams but the tires just didn't seem to perform too well the last few runs in the wetter, sandier, and more loamy terrain.

Maybe worth noting that I also put some stiffer springs up front and added some pre-load front and rear. I think that that's hurting things too... may need to go back to softer springs and tweak pre-load as well as possibly change to 20 or 25 wt oil. Shocks have 30 wt in them now. Regardless though... I'd still like a more aggressive trail tire and I think that I'm on the right path with the 1904's or the IROK's from what y'all have said so far.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Video is posting to YouTube now, once it's ready, I'll post a link to it.
Here's a couple pics of them.
12 lb truck. Stock foams, non-vented internal beadlock wheels.
Just enough flex to 'em to look like slightly aired-down 1:1s. Wrap around rocks, etc perfectly

Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #10

Here's the video. 2 slo mo clips followed by 1 regular speed clip. The truck only weighed about 10 lbs at the time of filming.
https://youtu.be/KwymtcYDfOw

Last edited by TUSOffRoad; 07-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Man... So much to like about that video! Btw... Those rocks look like they would slice you up in an instant! Anyway... Love seeing those under a TRX4 Bronco just to gain perspective as to how they'd look under mine. Gotta say that they also don't look too small which I was wondering if they would... I'm really impressed. They seem to perform very well on that type of terrain and I'm sure in other conditions as well. The slow-mo was awesome... really allowed me to see exactly how they handle and flex. Love the wheel choice too btw.

Can't thank you enough. Adding up shipping and out the door totals, the Redcats would be considerably cheaper by about $25. If I ultimately decide that I want the Gmade's I can get those down the line but for the price, those IROK's look like they may be worth a try.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Man... So much to like about that video! Btw... Those rocks look like they would slice you up in an instant! Anyway... Love seeing those under a TRX4 Bronco just to gain perspective as to how they'd look under mine. Gotta say that they also don't look too small which I was wondering if they would... I'm really impressed. They seem to perform very well on that type of terrain and I'm sure in other conditions as well. The slow-mo was awesome... really allowed me to see exactly how they handle and flex. Love the wheel choice too btw.

Can't thank you enough. Adding up shipping and out the door totals, the Redcats would be considerably cheaper by about $25. If I ultimately decide that I want the Gmade's I can get those down the line but for the price, those IROK's look like they may be worth a try.

Thanks for the compliments man, & just glad I could help out!
I've been using them for awhile now & I think they're great for a budget tire. Good size, good bite on most terrains, etc. I've tried a few other tires, but usually come back to these lol

Last edited by TUSOffRoad; 07-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

@ OSC-.... what brand or type of dual stage foams did you run in the 1901's?
CI dual stage 4.5" seem to fit well. Squishy tread with plenty of sidewall support.They are mounted on Axial beadlocks which give them a bit of a rounded profile since they are kinda narrow.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I haven't seen much feedback on either of these tires but both of them interest me for my next trail tire. If you have any real-world experience with either of them, please reply here with your impressions/ advice. Also if you have opinions on the foams included with either of these tires, please post up. I do assume that foams in both of these are probably pretty stiff but really... no idea. For what it's worth, I have no problem cutting some foam if advised. Lastly, I have no idea how soft or supple either of these tires are. The Gmade MT1904 spec a S5 compound but I don't know how soft or sticky that actually is. I have found nothing about the compound of the Redcat IROK.

What has brought me to narrowing it down to these two:

* I want a very aggressive trail tire for loose dirt, uphill climbs, wet soil, climbing over rocks and branches/ roots but I don't plan on using these tires in pure mud btw.

* I like the cost of both these tires... The IROK's coming in at about $18 pr. and the MT1904's coming in at about $22 pr.

* Most other aggressive tires out there are too big regarding OD. At this point I'm leaning towards the Gmades because they are an almost perfect size for my rig at 121 x 45 mm vs the Redcats at 115 x 43 mm. But since size isn't everything, I'm still considering the Redcats for other reasons.

* I like the look of the Redcats a little bit better since they appear more realistic being styled after the actual IROK. The Gmade's look more "bro-truck" inspired which I don't care for as much. But just like size, looks aren't everything either. Performance is priority.

That's where I'm at now so please let me hear what y'all say. It doesn't seem like either of these tires are very popular so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone could either break the tie for me or I guess give me another suggestion that fits within my needs and my budget. Has to be soft, not too big ( 4.75 is too big), have very aggressive tread and sidewall, be a solid performer in various terrain, and be relatively inexpensive.

Thanks so much and I hope that my inquiry might also help someone else that may be considering either of these tires.

Something isn't adding up here... you say 4.75" is too big, but then you say the 1904s are perfect at 121mm (4.764") - although gmade actually lists them at 121mm/4.8".

Go for Duratrax deep woods at 4.75" (although I believe they measure out to a bit less, although I am too lazy to get out of bed and measure) and I am sure you will be happy. They are as cheap as they come and work great on all terrains that I've thrown at them.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
Something isn't adding up here... you say 4.75" is too big, but then you say the 1904s are perfect at 121mm (4.764") - although gmade actually lists them at 121mm/4.8".

Go for Duratrax deep woods at 4.75" (although I believe they measure out to a bit less, although I am too lazy to get out of bed and measure) and I am sure you will be happy. They are as cheap as they come and work great on all terrains that I've thrown at them.
My mistake... Meant to say that 5" + was too big. Sorry bout that.

I was looking really hard at those Deep Woods but felt that the shoulder/ sidewall area was just too similar to the Proline SX Swampers and RC4WD Boggers that I already have. I also wasn't sure that the white letters would work with the look that I'm going for on this particular rig.

Thanks for the input... sincerely appreciated.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:05 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My mistake... Meant to say that 5" + was too big. Sorry bout that.

I was looking really hard at those Deep Woods but felt that the shoulder/ sidewall area was just too similar to the Proline SX Swampers and RC4WD Boggers that I already have. I also wasn't sure that the white letters would work with the look that I'm going for on this particular rig.

Thanks for the input... sincerely appreciated.
No prob, just wanted to make sure you knew how big those really were, and didnt close yourself off to possible suggestions.

The Showdowns are also known to be a good tire. Hell, all four Duratrax 1.9 tires are the same very flexible compound, without seeming overly sticky - If you read through the multi page thread on here, the only negative reviews do
NOT appear to be from those who've actually run them.

The white letters wear off eventually, but my understanding is that some people have stripped them off right off the bat.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Got my IROK's yesterday. I love 'em so far! Soft rubber with deep aggressive tread and plenty of flex. Foams are certainly a tad soft but I'm going to try 'em for a while before going to a dual stage PL or CI. Really think I'm gonna be happy with these... especially for the price. Thanks again for all the help and an extra thanks to TUSOffRoad for pushing me over the edge!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Loving the look with the wheels...SSD?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Got my IROK's yesterday. I love 'em so far! Soft rubber with deep aggressive tread and plenty of flex. Foams are certainly a tad soft but I'm going to try 'em for a while before going to a dual stage PL or CI. Really think I'm gonna be happy with these... especially for the price. Thanks again for all the help and an extra thanks to TUSOffRoad for pushing me over the edge!

Happy to help out! Enjoy those new tires!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

thx for the input guys, i have a couple of sets coming my way.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Redcat IROK vs Gmade MT1904 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swaping Redcat Everest 10 chassis to gmade r1 #lifebehindbars General Crawlers 10 07-07-2018 07:01 PM
Gmade MT1904 sawhead Tires and Wheels 16 04-06-2018 02:11 PM
My Gmade R1 RedCat Kcsport Redcat Crawlers 16 03-08-2013 06:50 PM
Gmade r1 Redcat, Rebuild Kcsport Redcat Crawlers 5 06-07-2011 06:57 PM