Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?)

I've done dozens of sets of beadlocks both easy and very hard and I usually dont need to reach out for help but yesterday I ran across a combo that is just not happy together.

the wheels are Boomracing LC classics

and the tires are Pitbull Berzerkers.

I attempted to mount up 1 wheel and after a dozen or more tries I realized that the inner ring simply isn't giving the bead enough space
(between the ring and wheel)

, the bead always pops loose when its around 3/4 of the way tightened. I tried a bit of oil to help it squeeze in place with no luck. the way this wheel goes together also isn't helping, you cant get the bead set and hold them tight while fastening the screws you're kind of stuck having to squeeze the bead in place at the same time you fasten the screws as well as having to get both side seated at the same time (you cant do one side and then the other).

So I'm left with a few ideas on how to overcome this.
* Sand and remove some material from the inside of the wheel, but there's not a ton of extra meat on them. Sanding down the inner ring is probably out of the question as its super thin.
* I'm gonna take apart a set of SSD 1.5's to see if its inner ring might work any better.
* I may just try a few more attempts along with freezing the tire and wheel but not the inner ring.
* Find some appropriately size tubing or pipe, though I'm guessing this may prove challenging.

* Oh and the most desperate option would be to shave down the bead on the tire with a razor, but I really think thats my worst idea.

I looked into get some proline compatible rings from RC4WD but they dont do a 1.5 version (i guess out of desperation).

I also wonder if cutting a larger relief on the inner portion of the tire foams might help a little bit, I've already chamfered it a bit but could do more. It didn't seem like the foam was getting it the way though.

I haven't spent too much time on solving this yet but I thought it would be nice to hear from other folks on the subject.

thanks for looking

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-02-2018 at 07:19 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?)

Have you contacted Boom Racing for help?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Have you contacted Boom Racing for help?
No I hadn't considered it but I guess they should a least know for the sake of improving the product.

EDIT: I just sent BoomRacing a message

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-02-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Make a channel in the ring for the bead to sit in kinda like this 1.9 rc4wd proline tire compatible inner ring

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks bent hinge pin, the Boomracing inner ring is just a thin 1mm ring so it doesn't have enough material to do any modifications to it unfortunately. I really appreciate the input though
Old 08-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Agree with what others have already said. I wouldn't cut the tires.

Since you've already tried freezing the tires, I'd say next is maybe some RC4WD inner rings, as you're getting ready to try. Good luck and keep us posted.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I like the idea of a new ring i would take the tire to home depot and walk around looking at stuff that would accommodate your needs. I feel. Maybe a sink drain tube or the tube inside the toilet tank should be the right size.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks bent hinge pin, the Boomracing inner ring is just a thin 1mm ring so it doesn't have enough material to do any modifications to it unfortunately. I really appreciate the input though
Maybe take a few mm out of the width of the ring ?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

You could always reduce the tire to fit the ring (cringe) how ever it would be hard for me to cut into new pitbulls. I had no issue at all reducing a $17 set of 4 injora swampers. From 1.9 to 1.55. I took about 3/4 of an inch out of the diameter and it worked great and looked good but at $60 a set for pitbulls it would be last resort

https://youtu.be/IbtBykGqt2Q

Old 08-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
You could always reduce the tire to fit the ring (cringe) how ever it would be hard for me to cut into new pitbulls. I had no issue at all reducing a $17 set of 4 injora swampers. From 1.9 to 1.55. I took about 3/4 of an inch out of the diameter and it worked great and looked good but at $60 a set for pitbulls it would be last resort

https://youtu.be/IbtBykGqt2Q

I think I'd still be up against the same thickness of bead though. The overall diameter is fine its just that the bead is too thick for the space available between the inner ring and wheel.

And I cant really shave the ring as its only about 1mm thick or so, if I did it would probably turn into a sharp edge and maybe cut the bead.

I only got to play around with the the frozen wheel for about 5 minutes this morning so I'll give that a few more tries and then open up another set of 1.5's to try its inner ring.

Does anyone know if the inner rings are sold by themselves anywhere? I looked around a little bit and haven't found any but RC4WDs (who doesn't do a 1.5 ring by itself)

I was also thinking if I could find a tool to roll this ring open a bit wider or a big mandrel I could use to hammer it open a bit.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-02-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I think I'd still be up against the same thickness of bead though. The overall diameter is fine its just that the bead is too thick for the space available between the inner ring and wheel.

And I cant really shave the ring as its only about 1mm thick or so, if I did it would probably turn into a sharp edge and maybe cut the bead.

I only got to play around with the the frozen wheel for about 5 minutes this morning so I'll give that a few more tries and then open up another set of 1.5's to try its inner ring.

Does anyone know if the inner rings are sold by themselves anywhere? I looked around a little bit and haven't found any but RC4WDs (who doesn't do a 1.5 ring by itself)

I was also thinking if I could find a tool to roll this ring open a bit wider or a big mandrel I could use to hammer it open a bit.
Exaust pipe expander thats a good idea. Prob rent one from auto zone.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

On a second note auto zone may be the place to get the right size pipe to replace the ring

Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Is the ring squared up with the wheel halfs? may need to be when you assemble the wheel maybe its a touch crooked and that causes the tire to not fit the ring correctly??? try using an old stub shaft and hex eith wheel nut to assemble may help

Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?)

If I’m reading this right I might have a suggestion, my inner rings on the dc chequered flags wouldn’t accommodate the hyrax so using a mortice gauge I carefully marked 1.5mm off each side and using a dremell with a drum wheel went to work taking the majority of material away and finished up with a big flat file , unfortunately I was a bit O.T.T with taking it down and took too much off maybe .5 too much so I grabbed my aluminium tape (something I use a lot for all different Fixes here and there) and cut it into 20x10 mm strips and built it back up working my way round the rim 10 width along the rim and the 20 mm folded over from inside to outside of rim , luckily it was only 1 rim as it was quite a tedious job but I’m a perfectionist or like to think so lol
Nearly 1 yr later it’s still tight as a ducks ass hasn’t popped off once , if you’d like I’ll strip them down tomorrow and shoot some picks up of the tape I used and how they look now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I think I'd be afraid of that muffler tool just splitting the aluminum since its so thin, but I like where your head is at.

heres the ring and wheel halves

I dont think its due to going together crooked as I used some extra long hardware to get it started and was able to keep it nice and square.

I did just take some measurements, the ring inner diameter is 43mm (and its 1mm thick) the wheel outer diameter is 39mm leaving 4mm overall or 2mm on each side for the tire bead, the pitbull tire beads are damn close to 2mm or just a hair over.

So there no extra space at all and its likely that the rubber bead on the tire may have some variation in thickness. I'm thinking that having a 2mm larger diameter inner ring (45mm) would probably do the trick. That would put it very close to 1 3/4" inner diameter which should be great as I'm a lot more likely to find
nothing but imperial sizes anyway.

EDIT: Here's a few shots to clarify what the issue is

its not the depth of the ring like so

The issue is with the space between the ring and the wheel, its too tight

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-02-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Get some boomracing terra beadlocks, they are perfect for any 1.55 tires.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Lay out a sheet of wet/dry sand paper on a flat surface. Lay the ring on it's side and start sanding the edge of the ring. It may take a while but you should be able to narrow the ring sufficiently to give the tire bead room. But I would contact Boom Racing first.

its the other way around, I dont need to thin the ring out I need a larger diameter ring.

I just opened up my SSD D hole 1.5's and the inner ring is perfect!

Its 44.5mm diameter on the inside and the depth is the very close to the same (17.5mm on the BoomRacing and 17mm on the SSD's)

I just need to mount it and check it out. I'll report back

EDIT: after mounting them with the SSD inner ring it was 1000% easier to mount but I was able to pull the bead loose when I pulled really hard so losing the 1/2mm in depth may be to blame or maybe the 44.5 mm diameter is also too much, maybe 43mm?

My other wheel is nice and frozen so I'll be trying that out next

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-02-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I sold my boom wheels in the end for this exact reason. I could not after exhausting everything I could think of get Flat Irons to fit.
Maybe the booms just don't like thick beads...
SSD on the other hand, perfect.
Will watch to see how you get on.
Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I think I'd be afraid of that muffler tool just splitting the aluminum since its so thin, but I like where your head is at.

heres the ring and wheel halves

I dont think its due to going together crooked as I used some extra long hardware to get it started and was able to keep it nice and square.

I did just take some measurements, the ring inner diameter is 43mm (and its 1mm thick) the wheel outer diameter is 39mm leaving 4mm overall or 2mm on each side for the tire bead, the pitbull tire beads are damn close to 2mm or just a hair over.

So there no extra space at all and its likely that the rubber bead on the tire may have some variation in thickness. I'm thinking that having a 2mm larger diameter inner ring (45mm) would probably do the trick. That would put it very close to 1 3/4" inner diameter which should be great as I'm a lot more likely to find
nothing but imperial sizes anyway.

EDIT: Here's a few shots to clarify what the issue is

its not the depth of the ring like so

The issue is with the space between the ring and the wheel, its too tight

How about taking them to the powder coaters, ask for as much coating as possible that would definitely make them a bit stronger
The mortice gauge is purely to get a nice precise line off the edge of the rim with a tiny continuous scratch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

How about if you take some material out of the outer rim inside ....say mount the two halfs together with out the ring. Put a stub with hex into the drill or on to the axle if the rc using the ie turning the wheel via drill/ rc drive train into a make shift lathe and use maybe a file or a hack saw blade or even sand Paper wrapped around a paint stick or some thing similar to take some material from the outer portions of the wheel to make room for the bead. Pictures for reference def not the same wheel

Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 1.9" bead lock ring - The Demon Locked Up Locked Up RC 2 10-29-2015 10:46 PM
Bead lock center ring missing lostwolf4u Tires and Wheels 5 01-24-2014 01:40 PM