Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Compound choices.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Compound choices.

I'm trying to figure out what 1.9 tires I'd like to pick up and a few I am considering come in multiple compounds. Would there every be a reason to pick the less sticky/harder compound? Like buying G8 over Predator or Komp over Alien? This is for a trail truck specifically that sees a wide variety of terrain on a single outing if that makes any difference.
4x4guy4978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Compound choices.

Harder compounds will last longer.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #3

Some people feel that in some designs the lugs fold over on the super soft compound instead of staying upright in a position that maximizes their grip. Most seem to prefer the sifter compounds though.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Harder compounds kill when it gets hot and turn to stone in the cold. On the flip side soft compounds are great in the cold but too soft and just fold up in the heat.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

Beyond the temperature would terrain make a difference on which compound would be preferable?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #6

On top of what was said I also noticed the softer compound works good for lighter vehicles and the stiffer compound works well with heavy vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chopper777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #7

Proline G8 is hard to beat for an all around compound that's both durable and performs well. G8 Hyrax will hang with the best tires from any other company in any compound in my experience. YMMV

I have the new Predator compound Hyrax tires, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I recommend Pitbull Rock Beast Tires. They have consistently been used to win multiple scale competitions over the last five years. Pitbull tires have an actual bead lip that can be held by any bead lock. Proline Tires use a terrible slanted lip bead design that requires a special clamp ring or CA glue to hold.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I recommend Pitbull Rock Beast Tires. They have consistently been used to win multiple scale competitions over the last five years. Pitbull tires have an actual bead lip that can be held by any bead lock. Proline Tires use a terrible slanted lip bead design that requires a special clamp ring or CA glue to hold.
I like Pitbull tires as well, but the price is a killer and they don't perform any better than the competition. If you need scale tread, though, there isn't much that can match the Rock Beast.

Your statement about Proline tires is incorrect. Yes, the Proline tires have an odd bead design, but they will mount to most wheels without any special accommodations. People just lack the patience. Apparently, it can be impossible to mount the 2.2 XL tires, but everything else should work fine on most wheels.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I like Pitbull tires as well, but the price is a killer and they don't perform any better than the competition. If you need scale tread, though, there isn't much that can match the Rock Beast.

Your statement about Proline tires is incorrect. Yes, the Proline tires have an odd bead design, but they will mount to most wheels without any special accommodations. People just lack the patience. Apparently, it can be impossible to mount the 2.2 XL tires, but everything else should work fine on most wheels.

2.2 xl mount on anything if you actually try. And once they're mounted they're pretty much impossible to get off unless you want to. The bead is superior to any other manufacturer but it is different therefore scary.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm running g8 rear and predator front with proline single stage foam and a thin layer of proline foam to fill the void and stiffen the tsl tires. My rig is 8lbs and it works good. The lugs on the predator do fold over easy but works good for pulling up stuff. I like both proline and pitbull but I do prefer the "odd" bead of the proline bc they hold tight. And proline are made in the 🇺🇸 so that's a seller for me too!! I often find that all the main brands work well. Some compounds work better on one part of the trail and some work better in others. So RWYB!!!
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #12

I'm actually debating between the Rock Beast XL, RC4WD MT/R's, and Proline KM3's or Krawlers. The KM3's are being released in the Predator compound and I was debating if I should wait on them. I have 1.55 Braven Berserkers on my TF2 and have been very happy with them but the price of the Rock Beasts are throwing me off so I started looking into other options. I'm leaning KM3's in G8 currently.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4guy4978 View Post
I'm actually debating between the Rock Beast XL, RC4WD MT/R's, and Proline KM3's or Krawlers. The KM3's are being released in the Predator compound and I was debating if I should wait on them. I have 1.55 Braven Berserkers on my TF2 and have been very happy with them but the price of the Rock Beasts are throwing me off so I started looking into other options. I'm leaning KM3's in G8 currently.
I have the mtr's and they are awesome. I also have the krawler and km3. Iv had the Pitts (rock beast and growler 1.9 and 2.2 in both compounds) and they are an awesome tire in the komp and alien compounds. I would go krawlers or Goodyear. I feel on the km3 it was the first time iv felt I waisted money on tires. Where I run the tsl's, krawlers, and rockbeast work the best with the mtr's right there. Really it's driving style, terrain, and your rig. It takes time to find the right set for you
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

So here it is finally got to try my 1.9 alien compound pitbull xors. It was a cold wet rainy day. Wet rocks ...... No issues im running stock foams which are hard as h€!! But they still grab. Mud... Turns into more of an axle hang up issue more then a tire issue. Overall climbing seems good enough mind you for the $100 price tag on these tires id expect them to be better for sure. I own the 2.2 version of the same tire and they are night and day different in softness flexibility. 2.2s are way softer and flex better. The 1.9s might just need a soft foam and some work in time. But for a first trip im impressed.

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Proline G8 is hard to beat for an all around compound that's both durable and performs well. G8 Hyrax will hang with the best tires from any other company in any compound in my experience. YMMV

Agreed, I just can't stand the non-scale looks of the Hyrax, the smaller 1.9 isn't as bad looking though. ;)

Quote:

Your statement about Proline tires is incorrect. Yes, the Proline tires have an odd bead design, but they will mount to most wheels without any special accommodations. People just lack the patience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
2.2 xl mount on anything if you actually try. And once they're mounted they're pretty much impossible to get off unless you want to. The bead is superior to any other manufacturer but it is different therefore scary.

Takes more work to mount Prolines and I use the specific lock rings, but yes can be pita, but doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4guy4978 View Post
I'm actually debating between the Rock Beast XL, RC4WD MT/R's, and Proline KM3's or Krawlers. .... I have 1.55 Braven Berserkers on my TF2 and have been very happy with them....

Love the Proline 1.9 Kralwers G8 compound with their single stage foams on my TRX-4! They looks and work great!

Pass on the new Proline compound tires imo.

Love my Pitbull 1.55 Braven Berserkers on my TF2, looks and works great!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Love the Proline 1.9 Kralwers G8 compound with their single stage foams on my TRX-4! They looks and work great!

Pass on the new Proline compound tires imo.

Love my Pitbull 1.55 Braven Berserkers on my TF2, looks and works great!
Whatever I decide on will also be going on a TRX-4. I'm fairly confident if i got the proline route I'll be sticking with the G8 compound. I don't have much in the way of dry rock to crawl on. Most of the places I run I deal with dirt/mud and tree roots.

Compound choices. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do choices? savage6969 Axial SCX-10 7 06-28-2010 04:01 PM
Choices.... Col. Sanders Tires and Wheels 22 09-23-2009 02:09 PM
2.2 choices racerrandy General Crawlers 8 11-26-2007 11:12 PM