Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Traxxas canyon trail mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 03:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Traxxas canyon trail mods

Hello everyone, I have found that the tires I was using were terrible (first picture) and people had told me to use the original Traxxas ones. So I've gotten them out of my parents garage (second picture), however they seem to be too soft, and they are full of water even though I've never used them. Previous owner must have ran through water. So I am wondering what you guys think I should do with them to make them perform better.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
pieterv3814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas canyon trail mods

They appear to be RTR glue ons. There’s a thread on the forums here about how to bake glue ons off the wheel. Pretty much low temp in the oven for a bit. If you can get them off, you’ll then want to invest in some good tire foams. I, like most people here, use Crawler Innovations foams. I’d reccomend a dual stage one. Also, invest in a leather punch and place 2 to 4 holes in the tires so they can “breathe”. Do not do this by just poking something through as it will inevitably cause the tire to tear. The punch allows you to make a nice, clean hole. You want to do it in the center line of the tread and not through a lug, but at the nase of the tire.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks like the wheels you have on the truck may also be glue on? If so, get yourself a set of beadlock wheels and not have to mess with glue. You can find them cheap on amazon / ebay ($30-45).

I just mounted up stock TRX4 tires (on 26mm wheels). The TRX4 tires are a little wider than most tires, so I test fit both Proline 2-stage and CI LilNovas, and the Prolines fill the tire out better, IMO anyway.

Also, read some threads to vent / not to vent your tires before you do it, just to understand both sides and decide for yourself what you think. I vented a set of Proline TSL’s and wish I’d never done it.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

First get them off those plastic glue on rims. Beadlocks can be had for pretty cheap. Get some good dual stage foams. I run soft up front and medium in the rear. If you want some more grip you can cut them like I did. It made a world of difference. I like them better then my Hyrax now.
This is the first cut. Works good

This is the second cut I made to them. Now they're great

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

^ This mod above is solid. I just did these on my stock canyon trail tires, and the difference is dramatic. Removing the center trapezoid shaped lug and putting horizontal sipes on the larger lugs allows the tires to grip the rocks so much better, it's amazing.
I went from running proline hyrax back to the stock tires. They grip just as well now.
rschoi_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Do you guys have trouble getting beadlocks to grip the beads of the stock tires? I spent all day boiling them off and cutting those lugs out to find that my Gmade SR02s could barely hold onto them while I was mounting - seems like the bead of the tire is narrower than it needs to be, or am I alone in this? I ended up giving up and ordering another set of Duratrax Deep Woods to hold me over until I find another tire I like.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #7

Sorry, I can't answer that one. I'm still using glued stock wheels.
rschoi_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

I also made the cut mods to the Canyon Trails. What a difference on the rock face climbs (night to day). Just takes awhile cutting out the small trapezoid chunks. Did this mod on 8 tires, for two Deadbolts.
Rocky Bar is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas canyon trail mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 1.9" Canyon Trail Desmo Tires and Wheels 11 12-29-2017 09:05 PM
S.W.R.R.C. Trail Run @ Mckelligon Canyon teamvaladezhobb New Mexico 0 09-28-2013 11:05 AM
S.W.R.R.C. trail run at Mckelligon Canyon teamvaladezhobb New Mexico 3 08-29-2012 03:47 PM
Boxcar canyon trail run wheelinjp Scale Videos! 0 07-03-2011 11:01 AM