Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: SSD Steelies!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SSD Steelies!

SSD Rc are my go to beadlocks. Super easy to assemble and look great.
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #42

I am considering buying the 1.9 stock steel in silver am wondering do they rust or does the colour come off?
DaveCrawls35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

They're great quality, with good paint - scuff 'em up if you want them to get weatherized...

Otherwise they should be fine!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #44
Slow is the new Fast

SSD Slot Steelies. Grab the Pitbulls like they own 'em

Stunners, thanks SSD!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Looking great with those scale hubs mounted up!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #46
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Looking great with those scale hubs mounted up!
Thanks Durok

It’s a nice scale touch.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #47
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Man, that totally seals the deal for me.

One dumb question. How is it they fit regular 12mm hexes like on my SCX10ii and Traxxas (which I don't have) at the same time?

Cheers...
Hey hobbyjumper, I might be the dense one. I am not sure what you are asking. Here is a photo of the mount. Same wheel, just in black. Perhaps it answers your question?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #48
Gold Star Baby!

I love the ssd steelies, because of the bead lock design the vanquish 2.2 stainless steel disc weights fit in them (with at least a .475 slw hub)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Man, that totally seals the deal for me.

One dumb question. How is it they fit regular 12mm hexes like on my SCX10ii and Traxxas (which I don't have) at the same time?

Cheers...
The 10.2 and the traxxas hexes are the same size, the main difference is the orientation and placement of the pin that holds it into place. Axial hex will click over the pin whereas traxxas actually has a grub/set screw type pin.

SSD sells their own hexes with a raised lip on the top of the hex, which fits perfectly into their hub design. I imagine the purpose of this is to tighten up the fit of the wheel so there is less play and wobble on the hex.

At the end of the day they’re all 12mm, so they’ll “work” but the ssd hex is recommended for best fit with the ssd wheels.

Not sure if this is what you were asking but hope it helps.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 05-15-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #49

Just got them set up for my Gen 8 the other night. Got a question on with the steelies should I still vent the tires? When I go to squeeze the tires they seem air tight so wasn't sure if water getting inside would be an issue.

Thanks
Jay
RunningWithBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

I just wanted to let you guys know that a buddy of mine is about to start making custom aftermarket rock rings for the ssd wheels. Pm me if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWithBeers View Post
Just got them set up for my Gen 8 the other night. Got a question on with the steelies should I still vent the tires? When I go to squeeze the tires they seem air tight so wasn't sure if water getting inside would be an issue.

Some vent, some don't...we don't have much choice if we drive to the high-desert to run trucks, the elevation will either balloon them or squash them, depending on which leg.

I vent with an exacto slit between tread blocks at 180*. Some use a small punch. Some wheels are already drilled to vent.

If you like to drive in a lot of water and run open-cell foams you surely can get them waterlogged and they'll never dry out. Venting the tire can allow most of any water ingress to spin out. But most of us don't run fast enough to actually do that. So they really should be disassembled and the foams dried out if they do get waterlogged.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Some vent, some don't...we don't have much choice if we drive to the high-desert to run trucks, the elevation will either balloon them or squash them, depending on which leg.

I vent with an exacto slit between tread blocks at 180*. Some use a small punch. Some wheels are already drilled to vent.

If you like to drive in a lot of water and run open-cell foams you surely can get them waterlogged and they'll never dry out. Venting the tire can allow most of any water ingress to spin out. But most of us don't run fast enough to actually do that. So they really should be disassembled and the foams dried out if they do get waterlogged.

Thanks for the input I guess I'll leave them as is and plan on breaking them down if I opt to play in the water at some point.

Take it easy
Jay
RunningWithBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

As a previous non-venter, I always vent with leather punch, 3 small holes evenly spaced. Closed cell foams.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

SSD steel spokes
Attached Images

SSD Steelies! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb question about 2.2 Ssd steelies Flippinrigs Tires and Wheels 0 12-30-2016 04:11 PM
SSD steelies Delbert Tires and Wheels 2 12-30-2015 08:03 AM
SSD Steelies & Vanquish OMF rings. Compatible? turbodan13 Tires and Wheels 6 08-17-2015 03:04 PM