Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Ssd wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ssd wheels

Will these wheels bolt directly to the Trx 4 or will I need different hexes?
*1.9" Double Time Beadlock Wheels
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ssd wheels

They will bolt on no problem!
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hex wise you wont have an issue.

I would just be cautious of the inside ring bolts. it looks like they are flush with the rear of wheel? If so your portals will most likely hit unless its offset enough to keep the portal out of the wheel. I am not positive as I dont have these. Just something to look for as I tried a bunch of wheels until I found one I liked. But that was a common issue, so just be aware.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Hex wise you wont have an issue.

I would just be cautious of the inside ring bolts. it looks like they are flush with the rear of wheel? If so your portals will most likely hit unless its offset enough to keep the portal out of the wheel. I am not positive as I dont have these. Just something to look for as I tried a bunch of wheels until I found one I liked. But that was a common issue, so just be aware.
I see what your saying.. Im using the ssd portal cover weights as well.. They might not work. I ordered them anyway to try so I guess we will see Wednesday..
Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I noticed they have them mounted on a trx4 in these pics..Scroll down to the bottom. PARTS FOR TRX-412mm Aluminum Hex Set for TRX-4
But I cant tell if the ssd portal cover weights are mounted in that pic..
Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroM!KE View Post
I noticed they have them mounted on a trx4 in these pics..Scroll down to the bottom. PARTS FOR TRX-412mm Aluminum Hex Set for TRX-4
But I cant tell if the ssd portal cover weights are mounted in that pic..
I’ve ran a couple different sets of ssd wheels on a trx4 with the brass portal covers. You’ll be fine there.

Regarding the hexes you don’t “need” them but those wheels will fit better and tighter at the hex if you have them. The TRX4 stock hex is completely flat and m the outside. These wheels you’ll notice have a little raised ring part at the very center on top of the hex. With the SSD hexes there is a step, for lack of a better term, on the hex that fits into the indentation on the wheel hub and offers a tighter fit.

If you haven’t already ordered some I’d also recommend getting some of the ssd scale locking hubs (and the corresponding tool) as they’ll finish off the look of the wheel proper.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 02-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I’ve ran a couple different sets of ssd wheels on a trx4 with the brass portal covers. You’ll be fine there.

Regarding the hexes you don’t “need” them but those wheels will fit better and tighter at the hex if you have them. The TRX4 stock hex is completely flat and m the outside. These wheels you’ll notice have a little raised ring part at the very center on top of the hex. With the SSD hexes there is a step, for lack of a better term, on the hex that fits into the indentation on the wheel hub and offers a tighter fit.

If you haven’t already ordered some I’d also recommend getting some of the ssd scale locking hubs (and the corresponding tool) as they’ll finish off the look of the wheel proper.
Thankyou good information
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

These wheels do fit the stock portals on the trx4. But the ssd brass portal covers require a couple mm dremeled down. Wasnt an issue really..
Old 02-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Added the SSD hexes today and some Mickey Thompson hub covers.. I love these wheels on the trx4 sport.. Looks very sporty

photo F7070E0D-3186-43DD-99D0-C9C1069CB88B_zpsgzfmgcmz.jpeg

photo F8C5E7E3-98D6-4269-8863-E037A9E038AE_zpsq9fuslr4.jpeg
Old 04-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
JC3
Quarry Creeper

I don't understand how you guys can say that SSD wheels on the TRX4 are a direct fit and that the SSD hexes aren't needed. This is my second set of SSD wheels that I've attempted to mount my Canyon Trail tires on. With the first set, I struggled to get the two wheel halves together. Then I found out from SSD, that these were a set of their "older wheels" and the hole in the hub was to small to fit the 5mm TRX4 axle! I didn't want to get new hubs or drill the hole out so I figured I'd sell them at some point.

I then bought another set of SSD wheels and after getting the Canyon Trails mounted, the tires just didn't look right. Frustrated, I just said whatever and attempted to mount them on the chassis. Well, they don't fit on the stock hexes properly. The hole in the wheel is huge and the wheel wobbles around on the hex! It is very obvious to me that you do in fact need the SSD 12mm hexes on the TRX4 for a proper and solid fit. This problem on top of the fact that these wheels simply do not work well with the Canyon Trails, has left me very unhappy with my two SSD experiences.

By contrast, I have a set of the cheapest Pro-Line plastic beadlock wheels you can buy. They go together effortlessly, fit the tires perfectly, and match the axle and hex without any problems!
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I don't understand how you guys can say that SSD wheels on the TRX4 are a direct fit and that the SSD hexes aren't needed. This is my second set of SSD wheels that I've attempted to mount my Canyon Trail tires on. With the first set, I struggled to get the two wheel halves together. Then I found out from SSD, that these were a set of their "older wheels" and the hole in the hub was to small to fit the 5mm TRX4 axle! I didn't want to get new hubs or drill the hole out so I figured I'd sell them at some point.

I then bought another set of SSD wheels and after getting the Canyon Trails mounted, the tires just didn't look right. Frustrated, I just said whatever and attempted to mount them on the chassis. Well, they don't fit on the stock hexes properly. The hole in the wheel is huge and the wheel wobbles around on the hex! It is very obvious to me that you do in fact need the SSD 12mm hexes on the TRX4 for a proper and solid fit. This problem on top of the fact that these wheels simply do not work well with the Canyon Trails, has left me very unhappy with my two SSD experiences.

By contrast, I have a set of the cheapest Pro-Line plastic beadlock wheels you can buy. They go together effortlessly, fit the tires perfectly, and match the axle and hex without any problems!
Which type of SSD wheels did you get? It was only the Steel D Hole wheels that required the hubs iirc. I don't have any problems running SSDs on both my rigs, but I bought the hex adapters just for general wheel compatibility.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
Which type of SSD wheels did you get? It was only the Steel D Hole wheels that required the hubs iirc. I don't have any problems running SSDs on both my rigs, but I bought the hex adapters just for general wheel compatibility.

I first got these - RC D Hole 1.9" Steel Beadlock Crawler Wheels

Then these - Rock Racers

The Rock Racers are a bit wider and the tire now rubs the portal cover. Hopefully, the larger SSD hexes will also provide some offset. Even then, I'll have to figure out why the tires are just not fitting the wheels right.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have SSD rock racers on my TRex with hyrax and .475 slw Hubs using the SSD trx-4 Hex with no issues. Have Brass Portal Covers and Weights installed.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
I have SSD rock racers on my TRex with hyrax and .475 slw Hubs using the SSD trx-4 Hex with no issues. Have Brass Portal Covers and Weights installed.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
When I mounted the Rock Racers on my Canyon Trails, the front tires rubbed the top of the portal housing. The Rock Racers are wider than most other wheels and also have less offset. Apparently, the .475 SLW hubs make up for that difference. The only thing that I don't like about the .475 hubs is that increase in track width which is not always desirable. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by JC3; 04-25-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Couldn't agree more. SSD wheels are the only 'inner ring' beadlocks that I'd use. After struggling with RC4WD wheels. and some others in the past i was reluctant to try SSD's. But i have to say they were quicker and easier to mount tires on than any of the 'dual' ringed wheels I've used in the past.

neilus is offline   Reply With Quote

Ssd wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ssd rc contender wheels based on trd wheels? rockhopper2 Tires and Wheels 9 10-25-2018 01:44 AM
New SSD 2.2 Proline Rings for SSD wheels SSD Tires and Wheels 32 02-07-2017 10:56 PM
Race line Monster Wheels or SSD-RC Assassin wheels rckjeep Tires and Wheels 9 07-24-2016 06:30 PM
SSD wheels and SSD knuckle interference? skybolt Tires and Wheels 7 02-13-2016 02:56 AM