Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Review of Pitbull Rock Beast XL 3.8 tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Review of Pitbull Rock Beast XL 3.8 tires

In my search for better crawler tires for my 1/8 scale Mad Torque crawler I was given the opportunity by Pitbull Tires to give a product review of the Pitbull Rock Beast XL tires. My current tires are the stock Exceed 2.8" tires and although they performed ok, I was looking for something with a little more grip. We installed Pitbull Rock Beast XOR tires on my son's Everest 10 and I can't believe the difference it made on his truck. It made me realize how much my tires were lacking. I've had some time to put a few hours on the new tires and hope to be able to give everyone a good summary of what these tires are capable of on a crawler.

First of all, I don't think the original intent of these tires were to be used on a low speed crawler. They have heavy ribbing on the sidewalls and underside of the tread for high speed stability. The rubber isn't hard, but is not soft either. For my test I had the foam entirely removed from both the stock wheels and the rock beast tires. They are both firm enough that I felt foam was not needed and the stock foam was very firm. Both tires are also vented through the wheel. I used Axial 3.8 beadlock wheels for mounting the Rockbeast xl tires and had to cut them down to narrow the wheels so that the tires would fit properly.

Immediately I noticed the tires offered a significant increase in overall clearance vs the 2.8 tires. This extra clearance allowed me to navigate larger boulders with ease and handle larger step-ups than before. At first the tires looked huge on the mad torque, but when I switched back to the 2.8 tires, the stock tires just looked ridiculously undersized on the truck.

On steep rock climbs I immediately noticed the Rockbeast XL tires did not offer anywhere near the grip of the XOR tires (as expected). I did a test of both tires on a steep rock climb and also compared them to my son's Everest 10. The XOR tires on my sons everest allowed him to crawl right up the incline without much slippage. I found that the stock mad torque tires could make it up the climb with some difficulty and I had to rely on speed rather than sheer tire grip to make it up the rock, but it did make it. With the rock beast tires I tried over and over, using speed, bashing, different angles, etc and could not make it up the incline. It would just slip and slide all over.

Although the stock tires have better grip, they also have less clearance and the truck does get hung up on rocks a little more than with the 3.8 sized tires. Both tires offer advantages in different areas, neither performing better in all areas.

In summary I think my search for a better alternative is still on. I sure wish that Pitbull made an XOR tire in a 3.8 size. I think that tire would make the mad torque truck almost unstoppable.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cP...3iEZE95dkrGNOH

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mK...Sc9KUL-ez6A9lq

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xa...4RtrF-d7oXmc5b

Last edited by Cbd23; 02-09-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Cbd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Review of Pitbull Rock Beast XL 3.8 tires

I have probably a dozen flavors of 3.8 tires (crawlers atleast), and without a doubt the RC4WD Irok is the softest hands down, they needed "custom" foams but they are super soft AND very tall.

Youre right about these Pitbulls, I dont know for sure but these came out a little after the Yeti XL i believe ( dont quote me). Thats what I have them on and even on my second set actually as they are absolutely perfect for it and I just bash it. But they have just enough grip to thrash on the rocks, trails, woods.... What height are you looking for? I have tons of them and most are similar in compound in this size.

A cut and shut 2.2 would yield the best traction. Not always, but in general the smaller the tire (a factory 2.2 , 1.9 etc) the softer, thinner and more pliable a tire will be with the right compound. Then with proper foams to do the support you got an animal.

Let me know if you wanna off those pits
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What about the tires on the Losi Super Rock Rey?
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Does rc4wd not make the irok in the 3.8 size anymore? I don't see it on their website. I'm not for sure what tire to switch to but I'm not going to stick with the rockbeasts probably. They are way good looking tires but not functional as crawlers. I would like to stick with the 3.8 size if possible. I've thought about cut and shutting some XOR's but have read it's pretty hard to glue up to the 3.8 size.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchman View Post
What about the tires on the Losi Super Rock Rey?
Do you have any experience with these tires? Are they a soft compound?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

The Rok Lox aren't too bad. Very tall as well!
dweano is offline   Reply With Quote

Review of Pitbull Rock Beast XL 3.8 tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2.2 Pitbull Rock Beast II review War Pig Tires and Wheels 443 05-02-2019 04:35 PM
Pitbull rock beast xl 3.8 review twissted Tires and Wheels 5 01-26-2016 09:05 PM
Griz's Pitbull Rock Beast II Review Grizzly4x4 Tires and Wheels 34 10-09-2012 10:24 AM