Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Recommendations for new tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Recommendations for new tires

My stock TRX-4 tires already worked so well. Crawler Innovations single stage foams coming soon.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I do have to say that I read a lot of positive comments about the stock TRX4 tires so I dug mine out of the box I tossed them in 20 months ago and mounted them on some VP Method 105s and put them on my Sport. I have to say I am surprised that they actually do very well even with the stock foams. I plan to install a set of CI Li'll Novas before spring and that should make them even better. Judging from all the tire discussions we have had here and elsewhere it is pretty clear that there is no one best tire for every rig, driver and terrain.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-20-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Different rigs different terrain. I cannot for the life of me get pitbull rock beasts to work in my terrain but deepwoods and tells are magic, finding grip where there shouldn't be any. So Crawlers might work good where he is at and not where you are at.
All of the crawling competitions out here are on rocks. They call these rigs 'rock crawlers', you know, crawling? Pretty much anything will do a trail run - if you get stuck you drive a different way or pick it up.

But for crawling comps your rig has to be able to climb on rocks better than all the other rigs, and this is what all of the manufacturers shoot for as well - something that is competitive in competition. And that's what the tire and foam companies show - crawling on rocks.

Anyway, so that's what I pay attention to. I got all kinds of mild stuff that will play run and drive trails. Hell, I even mount a speaker to it and stream xm radio in. LOL

If I'm not mistaken most people in the hobby are coming here to find out what works best on their rigs, how to mod and set them up, so competition is what bears that out. The rest of it is scale stuff and other special interests. We got a guy asking about traction here!!!!

EDIT: if you're driving your truck in deep woods possibly the duratrac tires are dabomb. Out here they don't hold a candle to either proline or pitbull. I have seen a few ottsix and I think they're good, but the rest of everything out there is out-classed by these two.

Last edited by Browneye; 02-13-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Default Recommendations for new tires

I got some Louise CR Champs (same as Duratrax Deep Woods) a while ago and they run everywhere. I also have their stock foams in still. Wood, wet rock, sandstone, dirt, sand, whatever. They just grip and plow through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Do the tire mod on the stock tires and they will be greatly improved.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I’ve personally run every sized pit bull rock beast tire there is. I liked them all. The 4.45” ones I had on a hilux truggy worked the best so far. I was running the xl’s on my tundra truggy until the other night I decided I wanted to try out the proline bfg km3’s. It’s been to cold here to test but they seem firm I can’t wait to test them to see if they will stay on the truck or not. The 1.55 rock beasts also performed very well. I’ve actually outdriven people with Klr’s and hyraxes but I’ve put a ton of time on my pit bulls and they work for me. Even in the snow they worked great. Just my 2 cents take it as you please

lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Just installed KM3's myself.
Can't wait to try them out - so supple and scale looking. Nice profile, used CI foams too.

The Krawlers are going on a play rig with some steelies and a NuKizer truck body.

Last edited by Browneye; 02-16-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Growlers are known for not being the best for any kind of slippery conditions. They're fine on dry rock surfaces. CI foams can make a huge difference - so whatever you get, get some Lil' Novas in a slightly smaller size than your tire, with the comp-cut inners and medium to firm outers. You'll thank us later.
And something to weight your axles, either beeftubes or hub weights or knuckles - you need something to put some weight down low on your tires, lower your COG.

I have the TSL's in stock Vaterra flavor as well as the Proline predator ones. The latter is a bigger tire, and definitely grips better, but is a very soft compound. About 7 months on granite and they are just shredded - took them off and went back to RockBeast XL's in alien compound.

I also have the Krawlers in G8 - they're fine, nothing special. The Rockbeast XL's and predator tsl's are very on par as far as traction - a hyrax hangs right in there too - either compound, but the newer softer compounds do grip a little better.

IMO most of the 4.75" tires are too big for most 1.9 crawlers. They grip, and roll over obstacles well, but you have to either hog out your wheel wells, or raise body, and it affects side-hilling and climbing. You would be shocked when a guy with a properly setup rig with class-1 tires out climbs you - it's just not all about the tallest tire.

One of my most favorite tires out of all the various ones I've tried are the simple PitBull RockBeast Scalers - the 4.45" size. They fit rigs well, look great, and with CI foams and some weight, they can go with the best of them.

My two-cents.

Here's three different rigs I've run them on, all were just amazing in how they would climb. A real surprise for sure.

The K10 on the left here:

They used to be on this Wrangler here:

And on the Axial Blazer. This stock blazer would nearly keep up with my full-blown comp rig with 4.75 RockBeast XL's or Predator TSL's:

In regards to your statement,
"One of my most favorite tires out of all the various ones I've tried are the simple PitBull RockBeast Scalers - the 4.45" size. They fit rigs well, look great, and with CI foams and some weight, they can go with the best of them. "
I bought a set of these for my Gmade BOM build. Which CI foams do you recommend? Lil Nova's? What size,cut and firmness?

Also what wheels are those? I like them...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GR8 PMKN; 02-18-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: adding Question
GR8 PMKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8 PMKN View Post
"One of my most favorite tires out of all the various ones I've tried are the simple PitBull RockBeast Scalers - the 4.45" size. They fit rigs well, look great, and with CI foams and some weight, they can go with the best of them. "
I bought a set of these for my Gmade BOM build. Which CI foams do you recommend? Lil Nova's? What size,cut and firmness?

Thanks in advance.

I was using the stock two stage foams that came with mine. Worked good on my truggy.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Growlers are known for not being the best for any kind of slippery conditions. They're fine on dry rock surfaces. CI foams can make a huge difference - so whatever you get, get some Lil' Novas in a slightly smaller size than your tire, with the comp-cut inners and medium to firm outers. You'll thank us later.
And something to weight your axles, either beeftubes or hub weights or knuckles - you need something to put some weight down low on your tires, lower your COG.

I have the TSL's in stock Vaterra flavor as well as the Proline predator ones. The latter is a bigger tire, and definitely grips better, but is a very soft compound. About 7 months on granite and they are just shredded - took them off and went back to RockBeast XL's in alien compound.

I also have the Krawlers in G8 - they're fine, nothing special. The Rockbeast XL's and predator tsl's are very on par as far as traction - a hyrax hangs right in there too - either compound, but the newer softer compounds do grip a little better.

IMO most of the 4.75" tires are too big for most 1.9 crawlers. They grip, and roll over obstacles well, but you have to either hog out your wheel wells, or raise body, and it affects side-hilling and climbing. You would be shocked when a guy with a properly setup rig with class-1 tires out climbs you - it's just not all about the tallest tire.

One of my most favorite tires out of all the various ones I've tried are the simple PitBull RockBeast Scalers - the 4.45" size. They fit rigs well, look great, and with CI foams and some weight, they can go with the best of them.

My two-cents.

Here's three different rigs I've run them on, all were just amazing in how they would climb. A real surprise for sure.

The K10 on the left here:

They used to be on this Wrangler here:

And on the Axial Blazer. This stock blazer would nearly keep up with my full-blown comp rig with 4.75 RockBeast XL's or Predator TSL's:

I ran some Growlers for the first time the other day on very thick clay mud on a fairly wet course and was surprised how well they did. I was thinking they'd do quite poorly but I didn't really encounter and problems either on mud or wet parts of the rock course. Even going over wet wood and exposed tree roots wasn't that much of a problem. The stock dual stage foams though I can't see lasting too long though. I quite liked them as a whole and won't be switching them out for another set like I thought I would. Foams will be replaced with some CI dual stages though.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I use the Lil'Nova 4.25 comp-cut inners with medium outers. Phenomenal foams. Also use them on the XL's, and the 4.5 size. The smaller inner is just a little more pliable, depending on your rig weight.

The 2-stage that come with the RockBeast Scalers aren't too bad. I recommend running them for awhile if you're at all short on cash, upgrade later. They do almost as good a job. You can also run the CI foams in the front and PB ones in the back - the main advantage with the CI is for hard turning on rocks and side-hilling - they keep the tire from rolling over while maintaining a very soft tread area. I think they're dabomb. BTW, this tire and foam combo is what NovasArk (CI) run on their rigs - that oughta tell ya something, no???

The wheels are 'chanquish' off ebay - my favorite seller from china is bmw-sticker, aka racing_car_mall
They ship fast out of Hongkong, and some wheel styles are in a LA warehouse. If you're ordering this wheel make sure you get the bright ones and not the silver painted ones if that's the look you want. Quality is very good with them, and I use his hub weights too, but you need to order a set of hub covers to get the longer screws - standard 3mm hex-caps don't fit right. Here's a link to the exact wheel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Crawler-...4AAOSwpmBZcAwu
And the hub weights:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Intern...0AAOSwVA5Z6EmS
And the hubs for the screws:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-SET-Al...K7MA:rk:5:pf:0

My main comp rig is about 7lbs, most of the others five and a half to six. I have beeftube type axles (codyboy) as well as heavy knuckles. I just installed the new Proline BFG MudTerrain in Predator compound with CI foams. Phenomenal tire - likely the best I've tested yet. They are big though, just a shy narrower than the PB RB XL's which I like. These things stick like velcro.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

I use the Lil'Nova 4.25 comp-cut inners with medium outers. ........Medium front and rears? Or softer in the front/harder in the rear??
GR8 PMKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
I use the Lil'Nova 4.25 comp-cut inners with medium outers. ........Medium front and rears? Or softer in the front/harder in the rear??

IIRC I order all medium outers. Frankly I don't think it makes that much difference. Over time the open cell foam does breakdown and flatten out, so the soft foams don't make sense to me. And I don't use the 'tuning rings' - just the outers that come with them. It's hard enough to get all of that into a tire straight.

For most of my rigs I'll install CI foams in the fronts and single-stage foams in the back, something that matches the tire and rig. If you're getting a lot of tire squash in the rear from climbing ridges and such then it can make sense to get some help from the firmer CI inner rings.

For my comp rig I put the CI's in front and back. It's taken me a couple of years to buy enough foams, and I still have some single-stage in some of them. If you figure adding fifteen or sixteen bucks to a pair of tires, on top of wheels, for a toy car, it can get a little ridiculous.

I have five rigs - if you spend $150-$200 on a set of wheels and tires, times five, that's $750 to a grand!! Hell, my Bomber wheels were about $200 by themselves - it's still running stock tires and foams.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

In my xl’s I’ve been running 4.5 soft fronts medium rears has worked for me. But everyone drives differently and has there own “feel” have to take that into account as well.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I have no complaints with my PB Growlers in Alien compound on either wet or dry rocks and even muddy conditions. OP did not say what compound his tires were and they look new. But what I have noticed that the Growlers tend to grip better once they get worn a bit.

I have the original growlers, old compound. I'd say they're very good also. I have no doubt that alien compound is generally better, though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

I agree with ALL the above posts... (it's a complex world).

But I have two issues:

1. If you choose to go the Duratrax route, why not the Showdowns instead of the Deep Woods? I have never tried the Deep Woods, but the Showdowns are... great for various terrain. But they look horrible.

2. Nobody ever recommends Axial tires. I think, with proper foam, they offer a good combination of performance/looks/size.

That being said, if I could only own two sets, I would pick Rock Beast 4.45 and TSL XL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Duratrax Deep Woods did just so so for me. I tried them with stock foams, CI DW foams, and Pro-Line Dual stage. The lugs just fold over too easily on me and don't bite.

So far my favorites are all Pro-Line Tires.

Hyrax - I like the performance, but not the looks.
TSL XL, BFG Krawlers, BFG KM3 - I like the looks and performance

I've also got the BFG KM3 in Class 1 size and Flat Iron XLs that I haven't tried yet.

I've got Pitbull Rock Beasts in 4.5 and 4.7, but I've yet to try them out. I like the way they look though.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
I got some Louise CR Champs (same as Duratrax Deep Woods) a while ago and they run everywhere. I also have their stock foams in still. Wood, wet rock, sandstone, dirt, sand, whatever. They just grip and plow through.

Nice Hugo,
I'm a great fan of Unimogs.
My Mog is still being build for a couple of years now.

In which area are you? If it's in Gauteng we maybe can organize a GTG for a casual crawl.
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Nice Hugo,
I'm a great fan of Unimogs.
My Mog is still being build for a couple of years now.

In which area are you? If it's in Gauteng we maybe can organize a GTG for a casual crawl.

I’m in Cape Town.

Build that Mog. We wanna see it!

HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Around 5 years ago I was a RC4WD Team driver. Fun days I will never forget. A U400. Actually it came from a shop in the Cape area.

The Mog is based on a G-Made R1 Axles.If only I cab\n figure out again how to post a photo.
reden is offline   Reply With Quote

Recommendations for new tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tires /foams recommendations butaford Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 02-08-2017 08:00 AM
Need Recommendations 864runner Axial Wraith 10 05-05-2016 07:36 PM
Recommendations for wheels/tires eatmorepizza Axial SCX-10 14 04-01-2015 10:06 PM
Recommendations NCSDRacing Newbie General 7 01-17-2012 11:02 PM
Recommendations sabohead Electronics 5 12-19-2010 03:31 PM