Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: hyrax predator compound review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default hyrax predator compound review

This is not going to be a real in depth review but it will have some information that I would've loved to find before purchasing these tires.

This is again for the Proline 1.9 Hyrax Predator compound. I'm running the tires on proline dual stage foams which seem great. I installed these tires in December and have about 10 packs or 15 hours of drive time on them. The first 3 packs I ran through them left me a little underwhelmed. The Traxxas canyon tires were what I had been using prior and really there didn't seem to be any benefits through the first few packs. Shortly after that the tires started to break in and break down and that's when they really starting grabbing. I live in Moab so all I'm driving on is slickrock but if the rock is dry and clean I'd put these tires up against any tire out there. The grip level is insane once they get worn in both forward and to the side. I have only two knocks on these tires that are also what makes them great. First these tires do not clear out worth a damn which I'm sure is because the sticky compound and all the sipping. If you run through wet sand, dirt or mud plan on your tires being caked for well after all your buddies tires are fully clean and clear. The second knock is the durability which I get is going to be shortened due to the softer compound. Like I said I have about 15 hours of drive time on these tires and well you can see in the photos how much break down there is. My overall assessment for these tires is if you want the best performing tire out there maybe to use in dry clean comps or you're just a performance junky like myself then these are the tire for you however if you are looking for a good all around tire that will last more than 1 winter season (I cant even imagine how quick these would burn up out on the rocks in the triple digit heat) then maybe look elsewhere. Hope this is helpful.
Attached Images

sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: hyrax predator compound review

This is a very informative review. Thank you for the words and the pictures - especially that close up of the wear.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

Thanks for the first hand info! Sounds about how I guessed. I have a set of the 4.19's in predator that I need to run. Again, thanks for the info. Also, a few questions about your rig that relate to tire wear if you don't mind. Curious to know how much your rig weighs, if it's overdriven and weight bias (front heavy or fairly neutral). Thanks!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

How are they with dust? I was talking about them last night with someone and he was concerned that the sticky compound would pick up too much dust. Your pictures do not reflect that but our indoor course definitely gets dusty and I notice that effect after crawling indoors. I feel like outside won't be as bad
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Thanks for the first hand info! Sounds about how I guessed. I have a set of the 4.19's in predator that I need to run. Again, thanks for the info. Also, a few questions about your rig that relate to tire wear if you don't mind. Curious to know how much your rig weighs, if it's overdriven and weight bias (front heavy or fairly neutral). Thanks!
The weight is just over 8 lbs and it has had the overdrive underdrive in it for the last 4 battery packs run through it. (I definitely should've added that in the review but it slipped my mind)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
How are they with dust? I was talking about them last night with someone and he was concerned that the sticky compound would pick up too much dust. Your pictures do not reflect that but our indoor course definitely gets dusty and I notice that effect after crawling indoors. I feel like outside won't be as bad
Not really sure on the dust aspect, it does pickup wet sand like crazy but not dry sand.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Update: 15 battery packs through them and they are mostly gone and are now performing worse then most regular trail tires.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the update!

Any idea what you will be installing next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Thanks for the review. Surprised how quick they break down. I guess thats the trade off for performance.
djc32294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #10

Those rocks look like they would destroy any tire. So much traction! I envy that. I have a set of Hyrax tires in Predator flavor that will be going on my TRX-4 Sport build. I expect that they have a much longer life here on the east coast.

What kind of power (battery, ESC and motor) are in the rig running these tires?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Mostly gone? Those are just getting broke in to run on the rocks now.

I've been eyeballing some sx's in predator but they changed the mold to make the lugs so shallow I'm not sure it's worth messing with.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Mostly gone? Those are just getting broke in to run on the rocks now.

I've been eyeballing some sx's in predator but they changed the mold to make the lugs so shallow I'm not sure it's worth messing with.
WTF? I hadn't noticed they did that. That change, alone, seems like it would reduce the effectiveness of TSLs.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
WTF? I hadn't noticed they did that. That change, alone, seems like it would reduce the effectiveness of TSLs.
Yea I had a set in my hands at my LHS and left them on the rack.

When bfg krawlers came out 20 years ago they sold a half tread version that was supposed to be better since krawlers have always gotten better with use so these were supposed to be good new. Marketing nonsense that sold more tires. krawlers get better because the carcass breaks in and the lugs wear down a bit for increased contact.

Watch for the pro line marketing department to spin it when people complain.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Wow, what kind of driving do you do? Lots of wheel speed?

I couldn’t remember when I bought my Predator hyrax. Had to search the email and found out I got them in July of last year. Ran lots of 3S packs through, on 3 different trucks, and here’s how they sit now.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Yea I had a set in my hands at my LHS and left them on the rack.

When bfg krawlers came out 20 years ago they sold a half tread version that was supposed to be better since krawlers have always gotten better with use so these were supposed to be good new. Marketing nonsense that sold more tires. krawlers get better because the carcass breaks in and the lugs wear down a bit for increased contact.

Watch for the pro line marketing department to spin it when people complain.
If Proline can sell a $65 generic body Lexan body and entice people to buy expensive, 3D printed add-ons then I know some people will buy any of their marketing BS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post

I couldn’t remember when I bought my Predator hyrax. Had to search the email and found out I got them in July of last year. Ran lots of 3S packs through, on 3 different trucks, and here’s how they sit now.
Yeah I'm guessing he's using a ton of wheel speed as well. And he's on those super abrasive rocks. That's the only thing that should wear tires that quickly.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Glad I wasn't going crazy. I noticed the same thing. TSL's need big lugs!!!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Thanks for the update!

Any idea what you will be installing next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure yet, I'm leaning toward either the voodoo klr or pitbull rb xls
Old 03-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Those rocks look like they would destroy any tire. So much traction! I envy that. I have a set of Hyrax tires in Predator flavor that will be going on my TRX-4 Sport build. I expect that they have a much longer life here on the east coast.

What kind of power (battery, ESC and motor) are in the rig running these tires?
3s lipo hobbywing 1080 esc with a HH 27t sport motor.

Last edited by sid lives; 03-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid lives View Post
3s lipo hobbywing 1080 esc with a HH 21t sport motor.
With tall gearing that's a ton of speed. I'm not surprised you are burning tires. You'll need a harder compound to get more life out of them.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post

Wow those look to be holding up very well, I don't do I a ton of wheelspin stuff but I am running over and underdrive gears.

hyrax predator compound review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Hyrax G8 or Predator? Need help! Insanehobbies Traxxas TRX-4 17 01-22-2019 08:25 AM
IN STOCK NOW the NEW Pro-Line Racing 4.19 Class Hyrax Predator Tires! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-10-2019 12:19 PM
Coming SOON the NEW Pro-Line Racing 4.19 Class Hyrax Predator Tires! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-14-2018 11:08 AM
RESTOCK Pro-Line Racing 1.9 Hyrax Predator!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-13-2018 10:47 AM
Proline Hyrax Predator 1.9 Ethan503 Tires and Wheels 1 05-15-2018 05:03 PM