Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels
Loading

Notices

Thread: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 51
Default Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Hey all, was just wondering what some of the pros and cons of the Pitbull Rockbeast XLs and the Proline KM3 are. I do mostly trail runs with some technical rock sections along the way. I'm mostly concerned about how they preform. I just want to see if anyone on here has opinions or experience with them to help me make a better decision. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

I think the Proline Hyrax is a better direct competitor than the Rock Beast in terms of performance. Of course the Hyrax isn't a scale tire.

For east coast conditions open tread is better IMO. Dirt and mud tends to clog up tires like the KM3. My favorite tires are the Hyrax, TSL Super Swamper and Rock Beasts.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 275
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

I run the Pitbull xl on my rig and have to say I have been quite happy with them. had to play with the foams a little but they run great now. I have been looking at the hyrax though.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,016
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Have you considered the BFGoodrich Krawler KX? They have a nice lug spacing and look great. Also the RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MT/R works well in those conditions.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Have you considered the BFGoodrich Krawler KX? They have a nice lug spacing and look great. Also the RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MT/R works well in those conditions.
I don't think KX's would work great around here, but I haven't tried them. MT/Rs are awesome. I can vouch for those.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,299
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

I have all three - Krawler in G8, KM3 in predator as well as the TSL's, and both sizes of RockBeasts. The best of all of them is the 4.45" rockbeasts - go figure eh??
But if you have a rig that can handle the XL size tire, for granite and bare rock the KM3 is the best. The TSL is just as good, but it looks even wider, and it's wide spacing with the super soft rubber just shreds on the rocks. I took them off after about 6 months and went back to the RB XL's. My buddy runs the Hyrax, they're tops for traction it seems, but any of the other tires properly setup will keep up.

So far like the KM3's the best, they're very scale looking and have the super soft compound, but a tread configuration that doesn't shred on the rocks.

The RB XL's are a REALLY big tire. They almost look silly on a 1.9 rig. Surely grip well though, they are their 'alien' super soft compound which is comparable to Proline's predator. For a more scale look the RB 'scaler' they're calling them now, the smaller one, work really well - 'komp compound' which is comparable to Proline's G8 rubber.

All my comparisons are on bare rock. That's what all the comps are out here, so we tire up for that. Pretty much anything will do a trail run.

Oh and the Krawlers are fine, just nothing special, and G8 rubber. They have a really nice scale look though, so for a rig where that is important they have their place. I'll be running them on a Nukizer build I have going. They look a lot like that military tire that is similar.

And for any of them, CI Lil'Nova foams make all the difference. At least for the fronts. Improves grip, compliance, and prevents tire roll over for side-hilling and sharp turning in rocks.

I have tons of pics if there's any interest.
Browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I have all three - Krawler in G8, KM3 in predator as well as the TSL's, and both sizes of RockBeasts. The best of all of them is the 4.45" rockbeasts - go figure eh??
But if you have a rig that can handle the XL size tire, for granite and bare rock the KM3 is the best. The TSL is just as good, but it looks even wider, and it's wide spacing with the super soft rubber just shreds on the rocks. I took them off after about 6 months and went back to the RB XL's. My buddy runs the Hyrax, they're tops for traction it seems, but any of the other tires properly setup will keep up.

So far like the KM3's the best, they're very scale looking and have the super soft compound, but a tread configuration that doesn't shred on the rocks.

The RB XL's are a REALLY big tire. They almost look silly on a 1.9 rig. Surely grip well though, they are their 'alien' super soft compound which is comparable to Proline's predator. For a more scale look the RB 'scaler' they're calling them now, the smaller one, work really well - 'komp compound' which is comparable to Proline's G8 rubber.

All my comparisons are on bare rock. That's what all the comps are out here, so we tire up for that. Pretty much anything will do a trail run.

Oh and the Krawlers are fine, just nothing special, and G8 rubber. They have a really nice scale look though, so for a rig where that is important they have their place. I'll be running them on a Nukizer build I have going. They look a lot like that military tire that is similar.

And for any of them, CI Lil'Nova foams make all the difference. At least for the fronts. Improves grip, compliance, and prevents tire roll over for side-hilling and sharp turning in rocks.

I have tons of pics if there's any interest.
I'm shocked to hear your TSLs are just shredding on the rocks. California rocks look much more abrasive than what we have on the east coast though. But my TSLs, which were one my very first scale tires, still look better and less worn than any of my Pitbulls. Proline G8 compound just doesn't die for me yet it's somehow still super grippy.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 2,681
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Agreed. Must be our smooth granite. Compared to what out west? Sandstone? Fieldstone? Wannabestoned? Whatever it is, it must be abrasive as heck. I've seen Browneye's tire pics IIRC and they were shredded.

I've been running my 2.2 PL TSL's for years and they show very little wear. My 1.9's are in great shape and are nearly as old. Granted, they are not always running on rocks but they've both gotten a LOT of wheel time over the years.

Last edited by OSRC; 03-13-2019 at 10:20 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 51
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

So it sounds like if there is any mud I should stay clear of the KM3s. I like the Rockbeasts, it's just they are so much more expensive.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
So it sounds like if there is any mud I should stay clear of the KM3s. I like the Rockbeasts, it's just they are so much more expensive.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Price is why I only buy Pitbulls when they have their big 25% to 50% discounts. They are overpriced at regular price. And the new Pitbull foams suck for my rigs. Proline tires are just as good and cost nearly half as much.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,299
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm shocked to hear your TSLs are just shredding on the rocks. California rocks look much more abrasive than what we have on the east coast though. But my TSLs, which were one my very first scale tires, still look better and less worn than any of my Pitbulls. Proline G8 compound just doesn't die for me yet it's somehow still super grippy.

I was referring to the new predator tsl's. Got them at the Proline By The Fire event last year. The new compound is a bit softer than their original G8.

The wide treadblock spacing of the TSL caused all of the block edges to simply peel off. Coming off the rocks there would be little black threads of rubber like hair around the tire. LOL

And yes, some of the exposed granite we crawl on is like 60grit sandpaper or worse. If you rub your elbow or shin on it you bleed. LOL The good news is tire grip isn't much of an issue - it's usually enough to flip your rig, so weighting, balance, and attack line become much more critical. Some of the grades they'll pull is just mind boggling. I've seen tracks where I would have bet a car could not go - and low and behold after a few tries they make it. These also become a test bed for trying new configurations and tires.


As far as pitbull prices - you have to source them from a store or etailer that discounts, or wait 'till they have one of their sales. My LHS discounts all tires 20%, so they're similar in pricing to proline. I know at least one of their tire styles don't come with foams, but in any case most still opt for a 2-stage upgraded foam anyway. And I've always said a good set of tires, foams, and some nice alloy wheels is a small fortune. Likely prohibitive for many. You can easily drop a couple of hundred.

Last edited by Browneye; 03-13-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I was referring to the new predator tsl's. Got them at the Proline By The Fire event last year. The new compound is a bit softer than their original G8.

The wide treadblock spacing of the TSL caused all of the block edges to simply peel off. Coming off the rocks there would be little black threads of rubber like hair around the tire. LOL

And yes, some of the exposed granite we crawl on is like 60grit sandpaper or worse. If you rub your elbow or shin on it you bleed. LOL The good news is tire grip isn't much of an issue - it's usually enough to flip your rig, so weighting, balance, and attack line become much more critical. Some of the grades they'll pull is just mind boggling. I've seen tracks where I would have bet a car could not go - and low and behold after a few tries they make it. These also become a test bed for trying new configurations and tires.


As far as pitbull prices - you have to source them from a store or etailer that discounts, or wait 'till they have one of their sales. My LHS discounts all tires 20%, so they're similar in pricing to proline. I know at least one of their tire styles don't come with foams, but in any case most still opt for a 2-stage upgraded foam anyway. And I've always said a good set of tires, foams, and some nice alloy wheels is a small fortune. Likely prohibitive for many. You can easily drop a couple of hundred.
Makes sense. I have Hyrax in the Predator flavor, but I have yet to get them out on the rocks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,299
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Makes sense. I have Hyrax in the Predator flavor, but I have yet to get them out on the rocks.

That has to be a terrific tire, cuz the G8 ones were great. I've just never liked the look of them, so tried the other styles. I have not tried any of the OttSix tires either - a lot of competitors swear by them - the KLR styles.

Seems like all the RC4WD offerings are all too 'chinese' - the same crap you get from ebay or amazon direct from china. IMO they're just not competitive with Proline or Pitbull, at least not for crawling comps.

And I have never found any of the oem tires to be competitive either - although the Ascender TSL's aren't bad if you scuff them, simplegreen them, and upgrade the foams.

I just can't comment on mud...we simply don't do mud.
Browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,950
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
That has to be a terrific tire, cuz the G8 ones were great. I've just never liked the look of them, so tried the other styles. I have not tried any of the OttSix tires either - a lot of competitors swear by them - the KLR styles.

Seems like all the RC4WD offerings are all too 'chinese' - the same crap you get from ebay or amazon direct from china. IMO they're just not competitive with Proline or Pitbull, at least not for crawling comps.

And I have never found any of the oem tires to be competitive either - although the Ascender TSL's aren't bad if you scuff them, simplegreen them, and upgrade the foams.

I just can't comment on mud...we simply don't do mud.
LOL, yeah... not a fan of mud. Too much work to clean.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
That has to be a terrific tire, cuz the G8 ones were great. I've just never liked the look of them, so tried the other styles. I have not tried any of the OttSix tires either - a lot of competitors swear by them - the KLR styles.

Seems like all the RC4WD offerings are all too 'chinese' - the same crap you get from ebay or amazon direct from china. IMO they're just not competitive with Proline or Pitbull, at least not for crawling comps.

And I have never found any of the oem tires to be competitive either - although the Ascender TSL's aren't bad if you scuff them, simplegreen them, and upgrade the foams.

I just can't comment on mud...we simply don't do mud.
I'll find out if it's as terrific if I hope!

I hated my KLRs until I tried them on my TRX-4. They work well with a heavy rig. Are they worth the price premium? Nope.

I agree. RC4WD tires have always been second rate in the past. My original Iroks worked, but they wore so quickly. The new MT/Rs are pretty good though and they are in a new compound. I'm not sure how they'll last long term. And RC4WD foams always seem to suck.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave
 
CODYBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakridge
Posts: 2,659
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'll find out if it's as terrific if I hope!

I hated my KLRs until I tried them on my TRX-4. They work well with a heavy rig. Are they worth the price premium? Nope.

I agree. RC4WD tires have always been second rate in the past. My original Iroks worked, but they wore so quickly. The new MT/Rs are pretty good though and they are in a new compound. I'm not sure how they'll last long term. And RC4WD foams always seem to suck.
Good discussion guys, info should be very help full to most on here.

And Tim, I should be starting a large scale build soon, I ordered a Traxxas UDR and $500 worth of parts yesterday with 15% off sale on EBAY.

Ernie
CODYBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,016
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
So it sounds like if there is any mud I should stay clear of the KM3s.
Oh, the irony of avoiding a tire with "Mud Terrain" in its name if you want to run in any mud.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Good discussion guys, info should be very help full to most on here.

And Tim, I should be starting a large scale build soon, I ordered a Traxxas UDR and $500 worth of parts yesterday with 15% off sale on EBAY.

Ernie
Congrats! I had one in my cart, but I bought something else instead.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #19
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dogpatch
Posts: 799
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Oh, the irony of avoiding a tire with "Mud Terrain" in its name if you want to run in any mud.
I was thinking the same thing.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #20
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 51
Default Re: Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL

Pulled the trigger on the Proline krawlers this weekend. Look forward to seeing how they do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Proline KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What size CI foams for Proline KM3? GTSLOW Tires and Wheels 3 02-28-2019 09:18 AM
Proline Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 vs Pitbull Rockbeast XL tjohanne Tires and Wheels 8 07-22-2018 07:12 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com