Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Secrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Secrets

I love my rock beasts, theyre not the XLs, but they do awesome out on the trail n rocks

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

looking for a tire that works best in dirt, like in a forest. we don't have a lot of rocks. proline Hryax and Krawler T/A's have been best so far
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
looking for a tire that works best in dirt, like in a forest. we don't have a lot of rocks. proline Hryax and Krawler T/A's have been best so far

im loving the RC4WD Wrangler Duratrac for these kinds of conditions was really surprised how well they work.

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Goodye...es_p_7007.html

atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Those look great on the VS4-10.

I love my RC4WD 4.19" MT/Rs, but I still want to try out the new RC4WD Milestar Patagonia M/T 1.9" rubber:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:03 AM   #25
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's an unbelievable attitude to have especially when running a business and selling products.

The tires are fine, but I don't see why they got so much hype especially at the price. The sociopath running the company makes them that much less attractive.

I thought they were garbage until I put them on one of my heavier rigs (TRX-4 Bronco). Only then did the super hard carcass start compressing and the tires starting working. I got blue or silver compound - whatever he recommended - and it was way too stiff for the Sawback for which they were originally intended. It's not even the foams that are bad. It's just that the tires are different than the competition and the carcass has enough stiffness on their own to support rigs. You have to use much softer foams in KLR tires.
I traded for a set of the Gold Compound KLR X4 and totally agree with your foam comment. I ended up cutting op some soft open cell foams I had which really helped out. Your assessment about the carcass is spot on as it is plenty stiff. Out of all my tires from other companies these are easily the stiffest carcass of all of them. Overall they work just fine for me but not any better than my other Pit Bulls, Prolines, Boom Racing and RC4wd tires that I own.

Last edited by wyd; 04-27-2019 at 05:06 AM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

While there seems to be as much attitude in here as there is on those pages I will say this. I recently made the swap from the X4 KLRs to Predator Compound KM3s (some slight siping) and pulled some lines the KLRs couldn't. I was very unhappy with the KLR X4 side hill performance.

Nothing will get me to swap out these KM3s with PL dual stages. I love them! Did I mention they look great too!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GTSLOW; 04-29-2019 at 10:02 PM.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 AM   #27
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
While there seems to be as much attitude in here as there is on those pages I will say this. I recently made the swap from the X4 KLRs to Predator Compound KM3s (some slight siping) and pulled some lines the KLRs couldn't. I was very unhappy with the KLR X4 side hill performance.

Nothing will get me to swap out these KM3s with PL dual stages. I love them! Did I mention they look great too!
Looking good! So, you are running the KM3's with the foams that come with the tires, the same foams front and rear?

Last edited by JC3; 04-30-2019 at 05:36 AM.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Looking good! So, you are running the KM3's with the foams that come with the tires, the same foams front and rear?
I'm running the PL Dual stages (open outer/closed inner) front and rear. I've also vented the tires with 3x holes equally spread in each.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #29
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm running the PL Dual stages (open outer/closed inner) front and rear. I've also vented the tires with 3x holes equally spread in each.
I see, thanks. I've never understood why a tire specifically designed to perform best in muddy and wet conditions is preferred in the dry as well.

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
I see, thanks. I've never understood why a tire specifically designed to perform best in muddy and wet conditions is preferred in the dry as well.

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk

Cuz it's a tire for a toy.

Out of a half-dozen top-tier tires I've tried on all my rigs, the KM3's grip the best. The only tire I would like to see challenge it is the Hyrax Predator - have not tried those. They are the least scale looking so I've never bought a set. Now with the KM3's probly never will.

CI foams work well too. The 4.5's with firm outers are pretty darn squishy but don't twist up the sidewall.

IMO they have a nicer profile than the RB XL's. Interesting though, my RB 'scalers' they're calling them now - the 4.45's with Komp are nearly as good.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

To be honest I think compound plays more of a role than the tread pattern. That's just an opinion though. The Predator compound is very soft. I will add something about the KM3s. They have fantastic lateral traction. I have noticed on several occasions when side hilling they hold great while other tires slide off.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #32
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Cuz it's a tire for a toy.

Out of a half-dozen top-tier tires I've tried on all my rigs, the KM3's grip the best. The only tire I would like to see challenge it is the Hyrax Predator - have not tried those. They are the least scale looking so I've never bought a set. Now with the KM3's probly never will.

CI foams work well too. The 4.5's with firm outers are pretty darn squishy but don't twist up the sidewall.

IMO they have a nicer profile than the RB XL's. Interesting though, my RB 'scalers' they're calling them now - the 4.45's with Komp are nearly as good.
FWIW, the Canyon Trails are easily the equal to a set of Hyrax's or Super Swamper's. I run side by side with my friend who uses both. We run wet, dry, and in mud. He prefers the Swampers over the Hyrax.

I've got a set of the ProLine dual foams. Currently trying a set of Pitbull single stage foams. Both have been used in my Canyon Trails. So far I like the single stage foams more.

When the Canyon Trails wear out, I'm looking for a replacement and the KM3's might be worth a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
To be honest I think compound plays more of a role than the tread pattern. That's just an opinion though. The Predator compound is very soft. I will add something about the KM3s. They have fantastic lateral traction. I have noticed on several occasions when side hilling they hold great while other tires slide off.
Excellent info! We do quite a bit of side hilling so I'm really glad to have that feedback. Do you run a heavy rig? I run mine lite, around 7.5 pounds.

Last edited by JC3; 04-30-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
FWIW, the Canyon Trails are easily the equal to a set of Hyrax's or Super Swamper's. I run side by side with my friend who uses both. We run wet, dry, and in mud. He prefers the Swampers over the Hyrax.

I've got a set of the ProLine dual foams. Currently trying a set of Pitbull single stage foams. Both have been used in my Canyon Trails. So far I like the single stage foams more.

When the Canyon Trails wear out, I'm looking for a replacement and the KM3's might be worth a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Excellent info! We do quite a bit of side hilling so I'm really glad to have that feedback. Do you run a heavy rig? I run mine lite, around 7.5 pounds.
My friends are the same. We love the off camber technical stuff.

My rig comes in right at 6lbs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #34
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My friends are the same. We love the off camber technical stuff.

My rig comes in right at 6lbs.
Nice and lite. Like you, we prefer the most radical stuff we can find. If I could post pics/vids, I'd share our latest challenge. I bet you have some good stuff too.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Tires perform differently on different rock types across the country. Then consider weather temperature foam wheel width and vehicle weight. Because what works in one part of this vast country is no guarantee it works the same in yours. The best knowledge of tire performance for any tire is always local.

Ottsix is a good manufacturer and a kindly sponsors of many of our events. There was a day not that long ago were the choices were few and had limited performance. We should be glad we have so many choices today, it wasn't always like this. All of our Manufacturers and Vendors support us and should be treated with respect it's in all of our best interest. IMO thats not exactly what happened here in a few cases.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 04-30-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

The problem with sponsorships is you end up beholden to them. If someone is being an assbag but is a manufacturer and sponsor they should be protected? Not in my world, there are too many choices out there these days.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #37
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Tires perform differently on different rock types across the country. Then consider weather temperature foam wheel width and vehicle weight. Because what works in one part of this vast country is no guarantee it works the same in yours. The best knowledge of tire performance for any tire is always local.

Ottsix is a good manufacturer and a kindly sponsors of many of our events. There was a day not that long ago were the choices were few and had limited performance. We should be glad we have so many choices today, it wasn't always like this. All of our Manufacturers and Vendors support us and should be treated with respect it's in all of our best interest. IMO thats not exactly what happened here in a few cases.
I agree, lots of factors to consider. As we transition into warmer weather here, I'm sure things will change. My hope is the the Canyon Trails get even better than they already are!!

Unfortunately, personalities get in the way of things and sponsors are not immune from that. Regarding what happened in this thread earlier, it is my experience so far that this type of thing is quite rare.

Secrets - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis Makers! Share some of your secrets! Cheddarcheesus Tools, and Procedures 4 04-28-2016 04:08 PM
Bully Secrets " Classified " run2jeepn RC4WD Bully 6 03-04-2016 10:36 AM
Crawling Secrets Harvo Chit Chat 41 12-12-2010 06:57 PM