RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Secrets (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/607992-secrets.html)

JC3 04-17-2019 08:00 AM

Secrets

It amazes me how manufacturers can provide little to no information about their products. Team Ottsix are a prime example.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these items relative to their tire lineup.

OG
M/T
M/T-X
A/T
KLR X4
Voodoo

Also, in a bulletin put out by Ottsix in this forum, they recommend ONLY open cell foams in their KLR tires. However they say nothing about rig weight relative to their foam offerings. Furthermore, they only offer one range of foams for 1.9 tires. They have a dual stage foam: "1.9 True 2 Stage Foams (for trucks up to 10 lbs)(not for 4.19 tires)."

So, my question is, Are they suggesting the same foam front and rear?

Sneetches 04-17-2019 08:54 AM

Re: Secrets

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 5928082)
It amazes me how manufacturers can provide little to no information about their products. Team Ottsix are a prime example.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these items relative to their tire lineup.

OG
M/T
M/T-X
A/T
KLR X4
Voodoo

Also, in a bulletin put out by Ottsix in this forum, they recommend ONLY open cell foams in their KLR tires. However they say nothing about rig weight relative to their foam offerings. Furthermore, they only offer one range of foams for 1.9 tires. They have a dual stage foam: "1.9 True 2 Stage Foams (for trucks up to 10 lbs)(not for 4.19 tires)."

So, my question is, Are they suggesting the same foam front and rear?

Well Ottsix tires come in blue (soft), silver (softer), gold (softest), and red (soft but supposed to wear more like silver?)

OG KLR are 4.75" x 1.75" wide. Then theres the whole 4.19 lineup of A/T, M/T, and M/T-X (tread spacing follows that order from least to most). Finally the KLR X4 is the newer 1.9 skinny tire thats 4.75" but 1.4" wide. From what I've seen with their foams (not much) I think they do typically recommend running the same set front/rear.

WHITE-TRASH 04-17-2019 09:07 AM

Og are roughly 4.5" x 1.75"

AT, MT and MT-x are all class 1 (4.19" tall x 1.3" wide) tires with varying amounts of space between the lugs. AT are tightly spaced so they're more of an all terrain. Mt and mt-x are widely spaced, the x version has more siping in the lugs.

Klr-x is 4.7" x 1.4" version of the mt-x. Larger lugs spaced further apart.

Voodoo is a comp crawler pin tire.

Matt is a salesman and and a marketing hype man. He banks on people buying his bullshit and it works. :lol: The tires are good but more often than not but just realize that is the situation when dealing with him and his disciples.

I've ran most forms of ottsix tires and the recommended foam setup for klrs is shit. Open cell foam is too soft so the tires just roll over themselves on off camber sidehills. Dual stage closed cell inner keeps them in check.

JC3 04-17-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5928104)
Og are roughly 4.5" x 1.75"

AT, MT and MT-x are all class 1 (4.19" tall x 1.3" wide) tires with varying amounts of space between the lugs. AT are tightly spaced so they're more of an all terrain. Mt and mt-x are widely spaced, the x version has more siping in the lugs.

Klr-x is 4.7" x 1.4" version of the mt-x. Larger lugs spaced further apart.

Voodoo is a comp crawler pin tire.

Matt is a salesman and and a marketing hype man. He banks on people buying his bullshit and it works. :lol: The tires are good but more often than not but just realize that is the situation when dealing with him and his disciples.

I've ran most forms of ottsix tires and the recommended foam setup for klrs is shit. Open cell foam is too soft so the tires just roll over themselves on off camber sidehills. Dual stage closed cell inner keeps them in check.

I could not have asked for a better response to my questions. THANKS!

JC3 04-17-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneetches (Post 5928101)
Well Ottsix tires come in blue (soft), silver (softer), gold (softest), and red (soft but supposed to wear more like silver?)

OG KLR are 4.75" x 1.75" wide. Then theres the whole 4.19 lineup of A/T, M/T, and M/T-X (tread spacing follows that order from least to most). Finally the KLR X4 is the newer 1.9 skinny tire thats 4.75" but 1.4" wide. From what I've seen with their foams (not much) I think they do typically recommend running the same set front/rear.

Thanks for the detailed info. Very helpful!

JatoTheRipper 04-17-2019 10:33 AM

All of the Voodoo tires are similar and overpriced. I think the company slogan should be "How many iterations of a cut Trepador can you make?!"

Along with the high prices and questionable performance you will get the less than friendly service. Recently on his Facebook group somebody made a post about their disappointment with the tires (I had the same disappointment) and Matt and his legion of circle jerkers just berated the guy. Matt said something like they are high level tires obviously not meant for the guy that created the post.

Don't get entangled in that bullshit. Proline and Pitbull RC are just as good without the drama. Pitbull does have the over inflated prices though.

JC3 04-17-2019 10:43 AM

"Along with the high prices and questionable performance you will get the less than friendly service." That is not a very high recommendation! Thanks!

svt923 04-17-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5928122)
Recently on his Facebook group somebody made a post about their disappointment with the tires (I had the same disappointment) and Matt and his legion of circle jerkers just berated the guy. Matt said something like they are high level tires obviously not meant for the guy that created the post.

I had to go hunt that post down and it didn't disappoint: next level douche-baggery right there. :lmao:

Team Ottsix - If our tires aren't amazing, you're the problem!

Sneetches 04-17-2019 11:11 AM

I think Ottsix tires are fine, having driven them on rigs along with Pro-Line, Pitbull, and RC4WD's tires. As White Trash said and I forgot to mention myself, I'm also not convinced at all that open cell foams are better than closed cell for any Ottsix tires. The reason that even happened a while back was when Ottsix started releasing more tires/compounds they suddenly came out with their own foam line and stopped recommending closed cell foams, which Crawler Innovations was typically the source of. One reason they might give is that the added sidewall supports/ribbing means a closed cell isn't needed, but I haven't really seen that to be the case.

Edit: And as Jato mentioned, unfortunately the Facebook page is very much a "cult of personality" place where all Ottsix tires can drive 90° up greased baking sheets and all other tires are worthless even as spares.

LSXGMC 04-17-2019 11:27 AM

From what I recall, Matt and Eddy w/ Crawler Innovations had a dispute/falling out a couple years ago which is why he doesn't recommend closed-cell foams. I won't support Ottsix based on the reasons stated above. A completely unnecessary attitude in the RC community.

WHITE-TRASH 04-17-2019 11:44 AM

I like the tires, I'd better since I own a pile of them.

I just buy them used so I'm not putting money in the emperors hand directly. It helps me sleep better at night. :lol:

JatoTheRipper 04-17-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5928137)
I had to go hunt that post down and it didn't disappoint: next level douche-baggery right there. :lmao:

Team Ottsix - If our tires aren't amazing, you're the problem!

It's an unbelievable attitude to have especially when running a business and selling products.

The tires are fine, but I don't see why they got so much hype especially at the price. The sociopath running the company makes them that much less attractive.

I thought they were garbage until I put them on one of my heavier rigs (TRX-4 Bronco). Only then did the super hard carcass start compressing and the tires starting working. I got blue or silver compound - whatever he recommended - and it was way too stiff for the Sawback for which they were originally intended. It's not even the foams that are bad. It's just that the tires are different than the competition and the carcass has enough stiffness on their own to support rigs. You have to use much softer foams in KLR tires.

svt923 04-17-2019 12:35 PM

I have a set of X4s for a lightweight truck I'm slowly building. Those have a set of Axial foams out of a set of SCX10 tires (you know, the ones too soft for any tire support) and those still feel like they may be too stiff. The tires could probably support the weight of the truck on the carcass alone.

The downside of KLRs that no one likes to mention is all that "engineering" in the internal ribs makes the tires weigh a ton. A set of unmounted X4s without foams weighs over a pound, a full set of 1.9 Hyrax with P/L foam has literally half the rotating weight.

JC3 04-17-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5928170)
I have a set of X4s for a lightweight truck I'm slowly building. Those have a set of Axial foams out of a set of SCX10 tires (you know, the ones too soft for any tire support) and those still feel like they may be too stiff. The tires could probably support the weight of the truck on the carcass alone.

The downside of KLRs that no one likes to mention is all that "engineering" in the internal ribs makes the tires weigh a ton. A set of unmounted X4s without foams weighs over a pound, a full set of 1.9 Hyrax with P/L foam has literally half the rotating weight.

That is a very useful bit of information. Sort of explains their open cell foam recommendation. 30 grams per tire heavier than most other tires isn't too bad IMO. I run plastic wheels and don't like wheel weights, so I'm not too bothered by the extra weight. Thanks!!

JC3 04-17-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5928161)
It's an unbelievable attitude to have especially when running a business and selling products.

The tires are fine, but I don't see why they got so much hype especially at the price. The sociopath running the company makes them that much less attractive.

I thought they were garbage until I put them on one of my heavier rigs (TRX-4 Bronco). Only then did the super hard carcass start compressing and the tires starting working. I got blue or silver compound - whatever he recommended - and it was way too stiff for the Sawback for which they were originally intended. It's not even the foams that are bad. It's just that the tires are different than the competition and the carcass has enough stiffness on their own to support rigs. You have to use much softer foams in KLR tires.

Great info. My TRX4 sport is right around 7 pounds which is where I intend to keep it while I toy mainly with weight distribution. Thanks!

WHITE-TRASH 04-17-2019 01:09 PM

Gutting the tires makes them better. Let the nice and predictable foam do the work not the rubber that wants to spring back into shape.

JatoTheRipper 04-18-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 5928174)
Great info. My TRX4 sport is right around 7 pounds which is where I intend to keep it while I toy mainly with weight distribution. Thanks!

You're welcome! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5928176)
Gutting the tires makes them better. Let the nice and predictable foam do the work not the rubber that wants to spring back into shape.

How dare you modify his perfect design for competition minded people?! You obviously aren't good enough for these tires. :lmao:

Sneetches 04-18-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5928321)
You're welcome! "thumbsup"

How dare you modify his perfect design for competition minded people?! You obviously aren't good enough for these tires. :lmao:

Unbelievable, are you telling me all the simulation were for naught? :ror:

sgtlt 04-18-2019 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I was really thinking about getting a set of these. The very high price kept me away, now I know I won't waste my money. I'll stick with Proline. Might try some rock beast Xl's

Sneetches 04-18-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtlt (Post 5928464)
Thanks for all the feedback. I was really thinking about getting a set of these. The very high price kept me away, now I know I won't waste my money. I'll stick with Proline. Might try some rock beast Xl's

RB XLs are the most expensive tires out of the bunch though :|