Check these out !

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: More shocks, team ottsix.

"Two stage springs"

Without a secondary nut on the shock body or extended lip on the shock slider (Pro Line) to lockout the secondary spring and engage the primary lower spring, it isn't a dual rate setup.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
"Two stage springs"

Without a secondary nut on the shock body or extended lip on the shock slider (Pro Line) to lockout the secondary spring and engage the primary lower spring, it isn't a dual rate setup.
How dare you question Matt's marketing wank!!!!!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

But ther’ye Ultra-Honed. 🥴
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Awesome!
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #8

I know it's popular to bash Ottsix these days, but I'm not going to do that. I'm just going to say these shocks look like rebranded Chinese shocks judging from this horrible photo.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
"Two stage springs"

I'm seeing two separate springs. The different colors may not be definitive proof but the separator is also quite visible. I know that it is considered stylish to bash Ottsix products because the owner is disliked but two separate springs looks like dual rate to me. I'm not a fan boy because I've never used any of the products but shouldn't we be fair?

The whole dual spring thing is overdone, in my opinion, with the added complexity. A simple single spring can achieve almost as much with a rising rate and no extra parts.

Last edited by bbrigg; 09-15-2019 at 06:28 PM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

They look alright but really would have to be <$100 to be in consideration for me.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I'm seeing two separate springs. The different colors may not be definitive proof but the separator is also quite visible. I know that it is considered stylish to bash Ottsix products because the owner is disliked but two separate springs looks like dual rate to me. I'm not a fan boy because I've never used any of the products but shouldn't we be fair?

The whole dual spring thing is overdone, in my opinion, with the added complexity. A simple single spring can achieve almost as much with a rising rate and no extra parts.

Unless the upper spring has a stop on it making the lower spring take over boingy boingy duties at some point all dual springs are giving you is an average rate. They are not truly dual rate, it is pure marketing wank to fool people into thinking they are performing a function they simply cannot do.

Proline powerstrokes have a sleeve on the spring seat that makes them a true dual rate. These do not.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Unless the upper spring has a stop on it making the lower spring take over boingy boingy duties at some point all dual springs are giving you is an average rate. They are not truly dual rate, it is pure marketing wank to fool people into thinking they are performing a function they simply cannot do.

Proline powerstrokes have a sleeve on the spring seat that makes them a true dual rate. These do not.
If you check out the blurb again it says "two stage", not "true dual rate". In any case I have my doubts that the Proline shocks setup has any real benefit over the normal dual spring setup. What we need is a progressive rising rate.

A spring's rate, assuming equal modulus material used, is determined by the coil spacing and the thickness of the spring material. A spring wound with equal spacing will exhibit a rising rate. That is to say the force required to compress the spring, say, 10mm is more than twice the force required to compress it 5mm. The difference in the increase will vary according to the modulus of the material used.

Having coils closer on one end and farther on the other increases the rising rate characteristics of the spring. Having the spring material tapered, i.e. thicker on one end, has the same effect. Tapering the spring diameter is not practical on our toy trucks.

Having a "bump stop" on the softer spring of a dual spring puts a hard step in the force/deflection curve. I don't see this being greatly beneficial.

I would like to see a linkage, like that used on monoshock MX bikes, which provides an improved rising rate, that would work on our toys but it probably isn't practical for reasons of weight and complexity.

Until we can develop a better setup a dual spring, dual rate setup is as close as we can get, with or without a bump stop that forces a sudden rate change which may or may not be all that beneficial.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

What does "true dual stage springs" infer? With no stop on the upper spring it is simply an average spring rate between the upper and lower.

Traxxas has been winding dual rate springs for years and they do work pretty well. Pro-line powerstroke dual rates are solid. I have them on my U4 & bouncer rigs tuning the tender springs makes a noticeable difference.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The rising rate springs from Traxxas are based on the spacing of the coils, not tapered spring material. I explained this so I'm not sure what your point is in mentioning them. So let's get back on point.

What tangible benefit does the Pro-Line "true dual-rate" setup give that any shock with dual springs of different rate don't have? As I explained above a normal spiral spring with the same wind pitch throughout gives a rising rate. As deflections increase the softer rate spring is compressed more thus its rate has increased so that the harder spring comes into play. This gives a pretty smooth force/defection curve.

Even with a glorified bump stop on the softer spring the Pro-Line shock will do the same thing until the softer end's bump stop comes Into play. Without the bump stop any dual spring will compress the softer spring more than the harder spring. If the spring rates are chosen well the full travel of the shock will be used up before the softer spring gets into a coil bind condition giving a smoother curve than you can get by using a bump stop.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

They look like the King ones which everyone says are crap so I'll stick to the Traxxas GTS
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The rising rate springs from Traxxas are based on the spacing of the coils, not tapered spring material. I explained this so I'm not sure what your point is in mentioning them. So let's get back on point.

What tangible benefit does the Pro-Line "true dual-rate" setup give that any shock with dual springs of different rate don't have? As I explained above a normal spiral spring with the same wind pitch throughout gives a rising rate. As deflections increase the softer rate spring is compressed more thus its rate has increased so that the harder spring comes into play. This gives a pretty smooth force/defection curve.

Even with a glorified bump stop on the softer spring the Pro-Line shock will do the same thing until the softer end's bump stop comes Into play. Without the bump stop any dual spring will compress the softer spring more than the harder spring. If the spring rates are chosen well the full travel of the shock will be used up before the softer spring gets into a coil bind condition giving a smoother curve than you can get by using a bump stop.

The biggest thing about a true dual rate spring setup is it isn't marketing wank in the case of proline. It actually happens. Whether that good, bad or otherwise it at least is the truth.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I reiterate, "true dual stage springs" is quite accurate. Don't let your personal opinion of the owner of the company cloud your judgement of the products.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

Fair points. For pure simplicity, I have no problem running a single, full length linear rate spring. Easy to tune, predictable as its a constant rate all the way to coil bind.

I could babble about 1:1 shock/suspension tech, but no one here really cares. The guys that do and play with toy cars, will take the time to create and tune a real two stage spring setup. Most people will never bother and wont know the difference.

Quote:

Until we can develop a better setup a dual spring, dual rate setup is as close as we can get, with or without a bump stop that forces a sudden rate change which may or may not be all that beneficial.

Well, we cant be waiting for the big manufactures to develop this stuff

Wasn't bashing voodoo, just making an observation.

Last edited by gottorque; 09-16-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I reiterate, "true dual stage springs" is quite accurate. Don't let your personal opinion of the owner of the company cloud your judgement of the products.
When does one stage end and the other begin? If there is no identifiable end and beginning it is simply a single stage of spring with a rate averaged between the two springs.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Two stages, not two steps. The nice thing is that there is no hard change in the resistance to deflection.

More shocks, team ottsix. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RESTOCK Team Ottsix Racing! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-07-2019 02:44 PM
Team Ottsix ?? Frank211 General Scale Talk 5 05-17-2018 07:12 AM
Team Ottsix 1.9 Tires - Restocked! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 03-23-2017 05:30 PM