Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Why Proline, Why ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Why Proline, Why ?

At 6:15 give or take Harley is running these wheels.....
https://youtu.be/BwSDUucjkeI
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

They don’t look like they do too bad. Seems like less tread flex than a dual stage foam but that may not hurt it.

I’d like to see them doing some slower/less wheel-speed climbs, definitely have my attention thus far.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Personally I don't think they will have the tread deformation needed for ultimate traction compared to regular tires, but they will possibly be great for higher speeds...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

make these a tire insert and its gold insert these inside a normal tire for the best of all worlds this is what ive been working on for years my proto types are extremely crude and dident work well the best i could come up with i moved on to tire in tire but its the same basic idea that i had these could even be 3d printed with flexable fillament with different webing paterns for more or less suport

its about time there moving away from foams #gofoamless
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well the simple answer is these do work.... Josh said he wouldn't comp with them, but they do work. I like the idea as a trail tire, foams be damned!!
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post

its about time there moving away from foams #gofoamless
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Personally I don't think they will have the tread deformation needed for ultimate traction compared to regular tires, but they will possibly be great for higher speeds...
Just like the PL dual stage foams. Too firm to be any good. PL sure likes firm tires.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I think the future is closed cell foams with cross holes like somebody posted as being available in Germany. Possibly do the outer part with circumferential grooves like the CI closed cell foams and maybe even some star cuts if necessary then add different sized and positioned holes to soften them some more.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbrigg; 09-16-2019 at 03:09 AM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I think the future is closed cell foams with cross holes like somebody posted as being available in Germany. Possibly do the outer part with circumferential grooves like the CI closed cell foams and maybe even some star cuts if necessary then add different sized and positioned holes to soften them some more.

The "star cut" on the outside is stupid IMO, but the holes inside are a great idea.

I certainly hope we get rid of open cell foams at some point. And dual stage foams, while having good performance, are a PITA to insert into a tire and get lined up.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't be so quick to call the star cut stupid. It won plenty of comps back in the days when only single stage foams were available.

Be that as it may, perhaps I should have been clearer. More of a modified star with much shallower grooves just a little more pronounced than the ones in the image. That would likely help lighter rigs. After all, having a more deformable outer section is the basis for the most highly regarded foams currently available.

I do agree that the placement, size and even shape of the lateral holes would be the biggest factor. Some experimentation with this, in conjunction with the far more flexible outer portion due to the grooves, could give us performance equal to triple stage foams.

Having used both the Pro-Line and CI closed cell foams the circumferential grooves absolutely need to be there to "soften" the outer part. I can't see lateral holes doing as well.

bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #31

Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to call the star cut stupid. It won plenty of comps back in the days when only single stage foams were available.

Be that as it may, perhaps I should have been clearer. More of a modified star with much shallower grooves just a little more pronounced than the ones in the image. That would likely help lighter rigs. After all, having a more deformable outer section is the basis for the most highly regarded foams currently available.

I do agree that the placement, size and even shape of the lateral holes would be the biggest factor. Some experimentation with this, in conjunction with the far more flexible outer portion due to the grooves, could give us performance equal to triple stage foams.

Having used both the Pro-Line and CI closed cell foams the circumferential grooves absolutely need to be there to "soften" the outer part. I can't see lateral holes doing as well.

Star shaped was used when nothing else was available. I just think there are better ways to do it now. Cross, or star, cuts make for uneven surfaces.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Star shaped was used when nothing else was available. I just think there are better ways to do it now. Cross, or star, cuts make for uneven surfaces.
Spot on. Better than what was available doesn't mean good.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

https://youtu.be/Er0I7qEhEzk

I will certainly check that out!
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The "star cut" on the outside is stupid IMO, but the holes inside are a great idea.

I certainly hope we get rid of open cell foams at some point. And dual stage foams, while having good performance, are a PITA to insert into a tire and get lined up.
Yeah, I hate putting two stage foams in...damn things never seem to be perfect. The holes drilled into closed cell foams looks like it could be great.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
make these a tire insert and its gold insert these inside a normal tire for the best of all worlds this is what ive been working on for years my proto types are extremely crude and dident work well the best i could come up with i moved on to tire in tire but its the same basic idea that i had these could even be 3d printed with flexable fillament with different webing paterns for more or less suport
Good ideas and points!

Quote:
....Having used both the Pro-Line and CI closed cell foams the circumferential grooves absolutely need to be there to "soften" the outer part. I can't see lateral holes doing as well.
Yes circumferential outer grooves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Spot on. Better than what was available doesn't mean good.
X2.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Why Proline, Why ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yokohama Geolandar with Proline Titus 2.2 on SCX10/Proline 74' Bronco FreedomRiding Tires and Wheels 0 06-25-2012 03:26 PM