Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pitbull Kronik Shocks - Unboxing and review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Pitbull Kronik Shocks - Unboxing and review

Pitbull was kind enough to send me a set of their new officially licensed BDS Suspension Kronik shocks to test and review. I am interested to see if they are as nice as advertised. Since one of my builds calls for some shorter shocks I chose the 80mm version. Below are a few unboxing pics that show the packaging and the accessories you get with the shocks.

Right out of the box i will say they look the part. Nice anodized black and gold color. They come with an exra set of springs in case you want to run a single spring set-up. I'm not sure just yet if the single spring is a different rate but I research that and let you know. They also come with a wrench that can be used to adjust shock collars as well as remove the cap. Last but not least decals. each package comes with 4 mini sets of decals. Can't go wrong with those.

Make sure and check out the next post for pics of a disassembled shock so you can see the seal system. I believe this is one of the coolest features of the new shocks.

Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Pitbull Kronik Shocks - Unboxing and review

Part #2 - Disassemble shocks and review of the seal system.

Here is a pic of a disassembled Kronik shock. The shock cap and bottom rod end are both aluminum and have hard anodized pivot balls. The adjustable aluminum spring collar is snug so it will stay where you set it. The quality of the machining is apparent when you see these in person.

finally

Here is what I see that these shocks offer that others don't. The seal system on these is a little different than I've seen in other shocks. In the pics below, starting on the left is the shaft guide. It looks pretty standard as most shocks have these to keep the shock shaft centered in the body. This one has an extra feature though. More on that later. Next, in the middle there is a soft silicone x-ring. These seal much better than o-rings IMO. Finally on the right is the lower seal which is actually two piece assembly using an aluminum shaft guide combined with a silicone compression ring. The innovative part is both the upper and lower shaft guides are conical. What the conical parts of the shaft guides do is when all the seals are assembled and secured in the bottom of the shock body the compression forces the silicone X-ring and compression ring against the shock shaft as well as the wall of the shock body creating a nice leak free seal. Damn cool IMO.

My photography sucks but if you look close you can see the conical parts i was talking about. Personally I've never seen this on any other shocks.

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 08-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

For testing the 80mm Kronik shocks will be installed on my Blazer along with some VP rock jocks and of course Pitbull tires. Pics and video up soon

Old 08-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #4

Congrats on scoring these!

The sealing method is interesting. I'm interested to see how it works in the real world.

Black and gold isn't my thing, but on the right build they will look great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

They look good and would probably match the Enduro's stock wheels. I'm also curious whether that new 4 seal system will work as well as advertised.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Those shocks look great quality. The seal design is clever, but if over tightened or incorrectly assembled, would it cause friction on the shaft?

Nice to see another choice of shock coming along. I still like the Gmades that I use a lot and have a box full of them and on 5 trucks, but a change would be cool.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing, I'm happy to see the four seals aren't just a big stack of O-rings which is kind of what I was expecting.

I think Pitbull should use some disassembled shots like these on the product page as its hard to tell what sets these shocks apart.

Did you get any shots of the pistons?

And it looks like it doesn't have a bladder, or does it?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-08-2019 at 02:09 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yep, the million dollar question is do the really seal. I currently have all four shocks filled. One with 30wt, 40wt, 60wt and 80wt so we will see. I have heard that a lot of the comp guys are running 100k+ diff fluid. I would think there would be no leaks with that.

HumboltEF, They don't have a bladder but they do have an o-ring on the cap that fits in a groove at the top of the shock body. Seems nice and tight. I will post some pics of the pistons as well.

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 08-08-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks for sharing, I'm happy to see the four seals aren't just a big stack of O-rings which is kind of what I was expecting.

I think Pitbull should use some disassembled shots like these on the product page as its hard to tell what sets these shocks apart.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
Yep, the million dollar question is do the really seal. I currently have all four shocks filled. One with 30wt, 40wt, 60wt and 80wt so we will see. I have heard that a lot of the comp guys are running 100k+ diff fluid. I would think there would be no leaks with that.

HumboltEF, They don't have a bladder but they do have an o-ring on the cap that fits in a groove at the top of the shock body. Seems nice and tight. I will post some pics of the pistons as well.
Nice testing, good looking test vehicle, these might be great on leafed TF2 with the coils removed from the shocks.

Good, ime bladder type shocks are more pita to assemble, more prone to leak, and this type just needs little thicker oil to compensate for the inherent aeration. Looking forward to more updates.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Nice!

The only other place I’ve seen conical seals like that are on high pressure raw crude flow lines. Is the gold colour an option, or were those limited editions for the first batch?
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Ok guys I left the shocks standing vertically for almost 48hrs and I'm happy to report NO leaks in any of the 30, 40, 60 or 80wt oils. They also didn't show any signs of the aggravating "stick" that some shocks get after sitting for a couple days. Now this was just part of the leak test as they weren't mounted and carried no load. Next I plan to empty them and refill with 60wt oil and mount them on my test truck. I figure 60wt will be good for testing.

*Also I haven't forgot about showing the pistons and I'll be posting a few pics of them next.

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 08-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
Ok guys I left the shocks standing vertically for almost 48hrs and I'm happy to report NO leaks in any of the 30, 40, 60 or 80wt oils. They also didn't show any signs of the aggravating "stick" that some shocks get after sitting for a couple days. Now this was just part of the leak test as they weren't mounted and carried no load. Next I plan to empty them and refill with 60wt oil and mount them on my test truck. I figure 60wt will be good for testing.

*Also I haven't forgot about showing the pistons and I'll be posting a few pics of them next.
I wouldn't expect any shocks to leak sitting on a bench. I've never come across that anyway. One rough run on the trails will cause junk shocks to leak though.

No initial stiction after sitting is awesome!
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I wouldn't expect any shocks to leak sitting on a bench. I've never come across that anyway. One rough run on the trails will cause junk shocks to leak though.

No initial stiction after sitting is awesome!
Get some rc3wd kings. They'll bleed out without use.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Get some rc3wd kings. They'll bleed out without use.
Very true! Hence the reason I don't consider RC4WD in any serious RC discussion.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I drove a little yesterday but not enough to matter. I want to get some real hours on them before I call them leak free. Instead on running them on my Blazer that's not really finish I think I put them in my scx Jeep basher and beat on them a little. While I have them off switching trucks I'll get those picks of the pistons too.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

These look nice but $60 odd more than the Pro-Line Pro-Spec Scaler

nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for sharing this pics!!!
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Update coming soon. I mounted them on my scx10 jeep because it's a finished truck that offers better articulation and have run them several times for a total of approx eight hours. I haven't been easy on them either. So far so good but I'll have more info later. I want to get a few more runs in using some diff fluid so i can compare that to the 60wt that's in them now. Full write up to follow.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I won a pair of 90mm kroniks at axial fest and was wondering if it was woth the money to buy another set. Thanks
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Pitbull Kronik Shocks - Unboxing and review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kronik Shocks - by Pit Bull RC - More lengths In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-01-2019 10:29 AM
Coming Soon - Kronik Shocks from Pit Bull RC! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 06-12-2019 10:44 AM
Introducing The Crawlspace Inspection Rover TheRage43 General Crawlers 12 10-23-2018 03:46 PM
Axialfest 2015 Tech Inspection Experience jmecmore Recon G6 11 07-25-2015 09:54 AM
inspection rover toy4x4runner Newbie General 16 05-30-2013 07:28 AM