Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: SSD Steelies!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up SSD Steelies!

We do a lot of griping around here about products sometimes, but every once in a while I think we need to remember to offset that by spreading the word about the good stuff, so - here goes:

I know they've been around a little while now, but I must say after installing tires on wheels from Incision, Gearhead, RC4WD, LockedUpRC, and a couple of varieties of China-made copies - absolutely nothing I'm aware of is as easy to mount tires up on than the 5-slot, 8-hole, and Stock Steel 1.9" wheels from SSD.

I crammed some oversized C.I. Lil' Nova Comp Cut Inner with Firm Outer foams inside some RC4WD Interco Super Swamper 1.7" TSL/Bogger "Siped" Scale tires and undid the 6 hub bolts, slid the aluminum rings inside the foams, and pushed the steel rear wheel halves inside, flipped them over and pushed the steel front halves inside, and then dropped the aluminum hub into the rear half and simply screwed in the 6 hub bolts from the front until snug.

I can tell from how much rubber that these wheels capture that they will never throw a bead, and I was very pleased with their more than reasonable price. Best thing of all, I didn't let loose a single obscenity during the disassembly and reassembly of the 4 wheels, foams, and tires - the hardest part was cramming the quite firm dual density CI foams into the tires (I've used them before, so I at least knew what to expect there!).

I'm sure the thinner steel rim's rounded lip profile compared to that of most aluminum beadlocks makes for these differences. Anyone that has the desire for some excellent quality, good looking, inexpensive, relatively low-rotating weight (they're surprisingly light, as only the two center halves are steel) beadlock wheels that are amazingly easy to install your tires on, snap up a set.

They are available in 3 styles, and each of the styles is available in bad-ass black, subtle satin silver, and chrome for some added flash - there's a combo that should suit anyone. Spice them up with some scale hardware and scale hubs, or even with some scale rotors peeking out from behind - they're Vanquish SLW hub-compatible, fit Axial hexes as well as the new popular kid on the block - the Traxxas TRX-4.

I am VERY stoked to have purchased these, and will likely be buying more in the future - maybe they could come up with some 2.2" versions!

Pics:
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SSD Steelies!

I love mine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Nice review Durok! I picked up a set of SSD slot wheels in the Satin Silver. Haven’t wrapped em yet but I am thrilled to know it won’t be exercise.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yep. Love mine too. I forget about them, how simple and inexpensive, but they really do work well.

I recently added their hub weights. I know, rotating mass, but for crawling they're the bomb. Cheap too.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If you do have any trouble getting them together try using some nylon bolts and wingnuts next time. After struggling with a set of proline tsl's I figured it out fast.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

SSD wheels are a breeze to mount. I’m a fan for sure. Solid write up Durok.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Any excuse to show off wheelies

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I am VERY stoked to have purchased these, and will likely be buying more in the future - maybe they could come up with some 2.2" versions!
Haven't bought any of the 1.9 steel wheels yet but I do have the 1.55 and old 2.2 versions. The 1.55 versions are like cheating compared to trying to mount tires on the RC4WD steelies.

As for the 2.2s, SSD said something on another thread about the 2.2 steel wheels not being very popular so I wouldn't expect them on the market any time soon. I have been saving this set for a suitable build, the SSD 2.2 steel wheel with the Axial 1.9 KO2 may still be the most perfect tire stretch ever.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice review Sir..... I concur that SSD is the easiest mounting steel wheel on the market. Not to mention the overall quality of them... They are fantastic....
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Mounted!

(spare is on a Vaterra plastic wheel for maximum lightness)
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Nice Durok! Congrats and glad you’re part of the Rex squad now. Excited to see what you do with it.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #12

What SSD does they do it well. I have a set of these wheels, still NIP, but good to know they are simple to mount just like their other wheels.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I am definitely going to use some of my up-until-now hoarded SSD chrome decals on this build, got them long ago with a pair of Bomber trailing arms - now that I see SSD has visited this thread, maybe they will see fit to make them available perhaps for separate purchase at RPP, or even directly upon sending them a SASE?

Look at these beauties:

Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I am definitely going to use some of my up-until-now hoarded SSD chrome decals on this build, got them long ago with a pair of Bomber trailing arms - now that I see SSD has visited this thread, maybe they will see fit to make them available perhaps for separate purchase at RPP, or even directly upon sending them a SASE?

Look at these beauties:

I'm not going to ask for yours but can you point the rest of us in the right direction to buy some of those decals? Thank you.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I agree, SSD wheels are my go to wheels. The stamped steel wheels are not only easy to mount but allow for maximum clearance inside the hub. I've discovered with a few other sets of wheels that I really liked that they simply wouldn't fit over my knuckle weights, when I 'm concerned about clearance or being able to swap wheels around to any other rig I go for SSD stamped steel wheels.

I just gave a set of SSD wheels, some tires, and foams to my brother for Christmas and I mounted them for him as he usually has some trouble with that but I kind of felt like I should have let him mount them just so he could see and understand firsthand just how simple these are.

Oh and I agree about the stickers and I'm not a sticker fan at all, but with certain companies I really respect I do like to rep them. I have a drawer full of sticker I've got from various products but I've yet to get any SSD stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Yep. Love mine too. I forget about them, how simple and inexpensive, but they really do work well.

I recently added their hub weights. I know, rotating mass, but for crawling they're the bomb. Cheap too.
If you like those check out their weighted knuckles, you can add even more weight and it wont be rotating mass, I love em!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah I agree, SSD wheels are my go to wheels. The stamped steel wheels are not only easy to mount but allow for maximum clearance inside the hub. I've discovered with a few other sets of wheels that I really liked that they simply wouldn't fit over my knuckle weights, when I 'm concerned about clearance or being able to swap wheels around to any other rig I go for SSD stamped steel wheels.

I just gave a set of SSD wheels, some tires, and foams to my brother for Christmas and I mounted them for him as he usually has some trouble with that but I kind of felt like I should have let him mount them just so he could see and understand firsthand just how simple these are.

Oh and I agree about the stickers and I'm not a sticker fan at all, but with certain companies I really respect I do like to rep them. I have a drawer full of sticker I've got from various products but I've yet to get any SSD stickers.
Me neither, where's my stickers SSD!! Please

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:

Look at these beauties:
SASE across the big pond? No chance!

I also have a sheet of these awesome, chrome decals. I didn't know they weren't easy to come by.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Regarding the decals:

I believe they only came with certain products - mine (like I said) came with Bomber trailing arms - but I have tons of other SSD parts - complete front and (centered)rear Diamond aluminum axles for the Bomber, brass parts for front and rear on my Ascender, multiple sets of knuckles, c-hubs, steering links -and the set of wheels and I only have have ever got the one set of decals.

And, I think the trailing arms may have been the first thing I ever bought from SSD - they may have just stopped inserting them in their product packaging because of a supplier issue - who really knows?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Regarding the decals:

I believe they only came with certain products - mine (like I said) came with Bomber trailing arms - but I have tons of other SSD parts - complete front and (centered)rear Diamond aluminum axles for the Bomber, brass parts for front and rear on my Ascender, multiple sets of knuckles, c-hubs, steering links -and the set of wheels and I only have have ever got the one set of decals.

And, I think the trailing arms may have been the first thing I ever bought from SSD - they may have just stopped inserting them in their product packaging because of a supplier issue - who really knows?
Quality, chrome decals like that can't be cheap to produce so I wouldn't be surprised if they are no longer freebies.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I'd pay, plenty of companies sell their decal sheets. They really are nice - maybe some options other than chrome would be nice, too. Same design, of course!

SSD Steelies! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb question about 2.2 Ssd steelies Flippinrigs Tires and Wheels 0 12-30-2016 04:11 PM
SSD steelies Delbert Tires and Wheels 2 12-30-2015 08:03 AM
SSD Steelies & Vanquish OMF rings. Compatible? turbodan13 Tires and Wheels 6 08-17-2015 03:04 PM