Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Review: G-made SR03 Beadlock Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Review: G-made SR03 Beadlock Wheels

I ordered these rims for a set of previously glued, worn-in Traxxas Canyon Trail tires, expecting to be underwhelmed by old tech from a "lesser" inexpensive brand.

Pleasant surprise. I would have been fine with stamped inner and outer halves, but the inner is cast metal, adding some beneficial weight to the rig. I don't mind the way the lugs feed into hidden recessed nuts, instead of hex screws in a tapped hub. This way looks more scale. Not sure if the bolts will stay tight without thread locker, so we'll keep an eye on that.

Assembly is not something you can do blindfolded. Patience required; experience a definite bonus. They mounted up nice, in the end, with left over fasteners in case you strip or lose something (listening SSD?). Plus a socket head to slip over your hex driver--smart and a handy addition to your toolbox at no additional cost.

Gotta say I'm impressed, and not just because they arrived in two days, free shipping from Amazon. All in all, score one for Korea.

hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Review: G-made SR03 Beadlock Wheels

I see you have a Comanche body on that Sawback. Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeeptec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks, but it's an Axial RBK chassis under that Proline body. Funny because I nearly pulled the trigger on the Sawback. It lost the coin toss.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
with left over fasteners in case you strip or lose something (listening SSD?)
This.

Nice write up. I've been seeing those around and thinking they'd be perfect for a Unimog build.
punkindrublik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Great write up. You covered everything I love about my SR02s. Hefty. And look great. I went with the raw steel and they are developing a gorgeous patina of real rust to match the weathered “MJ” hard body.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've got a couple of things to add to your review:

I have 3 sets of SR03s and 3 sets of SR02s and have not needed threadlock on any of them. I did however find that the plastic version of the same wheels that come stock with the original Sawback require thread lock.

I stripped a few sets to raw steel and clearcoated one of them - I find raw they rust quite a bit, so you need to want that look. My painted versions get a nice amount of rust just where they scratch and around the lugs.

These are heavy wheels, but certainly not too heavy. I have not seen any evidence that they are damaging my drivetrain, although some would imply that heavy or weighted wheels do just that.
MrBlank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #7
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Assembly is not something you can do blindfolded. Patience required; experience a definite bonus. They mounted up nice, in the end, with left over fasteners in case you strip or lose something (listening SSD?).
Our wheels come assembled. We pack spare scale M2 bolts with every pair of wheels (if they use them).

Our hubs use a very common/easily available screw (M2.5x8mm). They are very easy to find and replace.

So I'm not sure why we need to pack spares in our wheels. Nobody has every complained about it before.

I doubt many wheel manufacturers include spare hardware so I'm not sure why you mention SSD in your Gmade wheel review? As you have, I will say SSD wheels also fit tires better than Gmade wheels with minimum effort.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks, Punk, Push and Blank. I was hoping to go unplated, but those weren't available on Amazon.ca, and definitely not at 16 bucks Canadian (!) per pair. So the black were simply too good to pass up.

I should point out, Punk, that the rims are offset, so be aware. My front sidewalls were gently rubbing parts used for steering. Luckily I had some 8mm wide hexes in inventory for that exact issue with an earlier build. Problem solved. Mind you, those are WIDE tires.

Agreed that the rims are heavy, but not too heavy. Good heavy.

Cheers...
Old 08-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I also love my gmade steelies, very easy to mount for sure. Lots of heft and I got mine in raw they can weather naturally. Win win.
DukeMinnix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I appear to have struck a nerve. Happy to explain why I singled out SSD.

A review worth reading includes a comparison to a recognized top tier benchmark, in this case, you. A quick forum search shows my thoughts on your 00272 rims (they're super). I even sent SSD an email with congratulations. I will, however, mention that four of the 24 screws were sloppy in the hex driver from the get-go and unusable without vice-grips to snug them up, or remove them once snug. The odd wonky fastener is a problem far and wide, as I'm sure you know. Just ask the assembly line worker who picks up a bolt with no threads. Since screws and such are outsourced, and no one can possibly inspect every thread, I say why not toss in a few spares. I see it all the time, starting with IKEA. I strongly object to the suggestion that customers should simply drive an hour to the LHS or order (and wait) via Amazon at a buck apiece.

Btw, it's a stretch to make the blanket statement that SSD rims always fit better than Brand X. The Gmades grabbed my Traxxas tires while your 00272 rims did not, and believe me, I tried. RC4WD ZW0127 didn't fit either, leading me to blame the tires. That said, they're too awesome to toss, and there's a million of them out there.

I do appreciate you responding, as I appreciate the quality products you guys offer the hobby community.

Cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Our wheels come assembled. We pack spare scale M2 bolts with every pair of wheels (if they use them).

Our hubs use a very common/easily available screw (M2.5x8mm). They are very easy to find and replace.

So I'm not sure why we need to pack spares in our wheels. Nobody has every complained about it before.

I doubt many wheel manufacturers include spare hardware so I'm not sure why you mention SSD in your Gmade wheel review? As you have, I will say SSD wheels also fit tires better than Gmade wheels with minimum effort.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well said HJ...
punkindrublik is online now   Reply With Quote

Review: G-made SR03 Beadlock Wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linear actuator review (made for rc) Juddp Scale Videos! 2 09-22-2013 03:51 PM
My review of RC4WD’s “OEM Steel 1.9/2.2 Stock Beadlock Wheels” justinart24 General Scale Talk 35 02-03-2012 05:38 PM