Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: JConcepts Scorpios v Landmines v Pro-Line Hyrax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default JConcepts Scorpios v Landmines v Pro-Line Hyrax

I've never used any JConcepts tires before, but it seems like they're beginning to show up with more regularity at our local indoor rock crawling course so I'm considering trying a set. However, I don't know which versions to try, the Scorpios or the Landmines.

So far, the Scorpios are more prevalent but I believe that's because Scorpios are easier to get right now (Landmines seems to be out of stock at most places).

I've talked to drivers running the JConcept tires and they all claim there's a performance advantage but it doesn't look like they're doing any better to me when I watch them.

What do y'all think of these JConcept tires? And which ones are better (Scorpios or Landmines)?

For reference, I'm running a TRX-4 that weighs between 9-10 pounds on Pro-Line Hyrax G8 tires with Pro-Line dual stage foams. My rig performs well, but like everyone, I'm always looking for any advantage that allows it to perform better.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: JConcepts Scorpios v Landmines v Pro-Line Hyrax

I've had a set of 1.9 Scorpios for a few years, they work great on high traction surfaces like sandstone or broken concrete... but what tire doesn't? Everywhere else, they're average at best. I'm pretty sick of seeing the Hyrax on everything (yes, I have a set on one of my cars) so I wouldn't get them for that reason alone, but they definitely work better than the Scorpios by a pretty good margin. That said, of your 3 options, I'd give the Landmines a shot. They've got a tread pattern with enough similarities to a Pitbull Rock Beast that I'd expect them to perform similarly, which is to say: pretty dang good.

...though they're not the "cool" tire, the Duratrax Deepwoods will outperform all 3 of them.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 03-02-2020 at 05:17 PM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've got the Landmines on my first Capra, and they are fantastic...didn't even need to really break them in, as they had plenty of grip from the beginning. As for the second Capra I'm currently building, those will have 2.2 Hyrax...but, mostly, because there aren't any 2.2 Landmines.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
...though they're not the "cool" tire, the Duratrax Deepwoods will outperform all 3 of them.
I'd challenge that. No tire is the best at everything. I do think the Duratrax tires are great, budget tires though.

I have not run my Landmines yet. I do like the tread pattern because it's similar to the Pitbull Rock Beast tires as was mentioned. The JConcepts rubber has a harder and plastic-like feel to them compared to Pitbull compounds. But as most of us know, bench fondling conclusions don't necessarily translate into real world performance.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Interesting that two of you mentioned the Rock Beasts. That was another tire I've considered in the past but ruled out solely based on price. I would spend the money though if I were convinced they would improve my rigs crawling ability.

Maybe I'll give the Landmines a shot once I can find a set. Won't hurt much to try them and if they don't work out I can go back to the Hyrax.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Any updates on this thread?

I just got a set of Rockbeast IIs.

But looking for a set of shoes for my Ryft. How do you all think the Scorpios would hold up to a Ryft rock bouncer/occasion crawler, seldom rock racer?
The Scorps are just about 6" tall, so a good fit.

i know a few like the stock ryft tires, but I'd like a 3rd set to try and like to keep in the 5.5-6in tall area on 2.2s

Suggestions?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Around everyone runs rock beasts until they try to follow me and then I'll trade tires and wheels with them and let them try the same obstacles again. I've sold a lot of proline krawlers and jconcepts landmines for sure.

Landmines are a great tires right out of the bag. They get better with wear too.

Scorpios are easily the biggest disappointment I've ever had with rc tires. I tried everything to get them to work and ended up cutting them apart to use the sidewalls to build other tires

Hyrax are ok, I have a set in predator I'll run when it's cooler out since they're soft.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm almost done with my review on the Duratrax Deep Woods, but the short answer is save your money. They have a few inherent flaws in the design than cannot be compensated for or solved. The cleats load easily and quickly deforms the inner carcass, breaking traction on technical rock.

Out here on the sandstone, the Scorpios pull the steepest lines. We have one 1.9 that does 68 degrees on our incline board.

I'm in the middle of testing Landmines on the 1.9, and they are been very good. More well rounded than the Scorpio, and I would take the Landmines over the Scorpio if you are doing anything other than dry, gritty smooth rock.

Once I finish the Deep Woods review, I will post it. That said, it's just my opinion.

Here is the Scorpio review:

https://www.mojavevalleyrcadventures...corpio-22.html

SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Around everyone runs rock beasts until they try to follow me and then I'll trade tires and wheels with them and let them try the same obstacles again. I've sold a lot of proline krawlers and jconcepts landmines for sure.

Landmines are a great tires right out of the bag. They get better with wear too.

Scorpios are easily the biggest disappointment I've ever had with rc tires. I tried everything to get them to work and ended up cutting them apart to use the sidewalls to build other tires

Hyrax are ok, I have a set in predator I'll run when it's cooler out since they're soft.
How are the sidewalls on the Landmines? Looks like they are not avail in 2.2? Only seeing 1.9s.
For the Ryft they'd need to be 2.2s, Preferably 5.5 tall at least.

I have 1.9 Hyrax on my SSD TK kit and it does ok. I do need to get other tires for it. just not looking forward to swapping them over on my SSD 1.9 rims. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
I'm almost done with my review on the Duratrax Deep Woods, but the short answer is save your money. They have a few inherent flaws in the design than cannot be compensated for or solved. The cleats load easily and quickly deforms the inner carcass, breaking traction on technical rock.

Out here on the sandstone, the Scorpios pull the steepest lines. We have one 1.9 that does 68 degrees on our incline board.

I'm in the middle of testing Landmines on the 1.9, and they are been very good. More well rounded than the Scorpio, and I would take the Landmines over the Scorpio if you are doing anything other than dry, gritty smooth rock.

Once I finish the Deep Woods review, I will post it. That said, it's just my opinion.

Here is the Scorpio review:

https://www.mojavevalleyrcadventures...corpio-22.html

Ive seen the Deep Woods, they look the part. But they're Duratrax... so I didn't give them too much look. Thanks for the review on the Scorpios.
I'll take a read and appreciate the on hands experienced opine!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If I was running the Ryft, I'd for sure run Ottsix USD Stickies. There is a review of them on the same website.

The Landmines are not offered in 2.2 unfortunately.

s.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:13 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yes, that seems to be the other one most are talking about. Hard finding them in stock atm.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:24 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
I'm almost done with my review on the Duratrax Deep Woods, but the short answer is save your money.... The cleats load easily and quickly deforms the inner carcass, breaking traction on technical rock.
well...as their name says "Deep Woods" they are not made for rock
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Mountain,

That had crossed my mind as well, being that maybe the name Deep Woods is inferring their ideal use. Problem is that Durtrax is known to have artistic names with many of their tires. If you only look at their crawler tires, you have; Deep Woods, Showdown, Approach, and Scaler. All four of these are listed as Rock Crawler tires in their description. Their buggy and SCT tires have even more unusual names. I'm not sure about you, but I've never been headed to a Showdown, and as for Approach, does that mean we only should approach the rock and not actually crawl it? Confusing to say the least.

So this leaves the customer to look at the tread and make a decision based on what they see. My hope is that a little more information from my website will help the customer make the best decision for their needs.

All that said, I do feel that these Deep Woods would probably do best driving in woodland terrain.

s

Last edited by SteveB1; 07-08-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Tim,

If you're running them on the Ryft, the Deep Woods with a good two-stage foam might work ok for you. I'm basing this on the assumption that you are still rock bouncing and not super slow crawling. If you give the Deep Woods a blip on the throttle, they will hook up. Just be careful about tearing the sidewalls. 4s is serious power and I'm not sure these tires would be able to handle it.

s
Old 07-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Good info SteveB1. Not alot of ROCKY Mountains here in Mi, but plenty of concrete ones. lol broken and otherwise.

So ya, not MUCH Slow Crawling, but there can/will be some here and there. Mostly riverbed, hills, Broken Crete Piles on occasion.

Vast majority will likely end up being hill/trail running. May look at making a slightish U4 type track to play on around the yard/play area just to make something a bit challenging opposed to flat lands. lol
Old 07-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think you should be ok with the Deep Woods then. invest in some good foams and you'll be set. We have plenty of rock out here.

s
Old 07-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Wish we had rock like that. We do have some, Up in Iron Mountain in the UP, 5 hours north of Me. lol
Iron Mountain and Copper Harbour are full of bedrock of similar makeup.

I still want to get up there. Have a buddy that owns a hobbyshop in Escanaba. May go hang at his place one weekend and take a day or two and hit the cooper mines! That would be a riot no doubt.

I'm certainly looking for a set of the sticky. Maybe I'll grab some Deep Woods and cheapass China 2.2 beadlocks to toss the Deepwoods on them for the Trails only runs. A good dirt/woods 2.2 type tire would get a lot of use. Would like to try to stick in the 5.5 inch tall area if possible.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

If you do hit the copper mines, be sure to get some photos! I bet they will be awesome.

s.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Indeed would be the plan. Some beautiful scenery up there just because.

Got a set of DW coming and a set of cheapy china set of 2.2 black and orange beadlocks. Amazon offered a 100.00 to open a card, so I did. lol got them for free basically. I'll likely never use the card, and it adds a few grand to my credit limit. lol

Thinking Dirty Richards Firm n the rear and Mediums in the front for the DW. I didn't realize they were 5.8 inches tall. Which is good for the Ryft imo.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #20

i like landmines but don't have a whole lot to compare them to.

I would rate them better than traxxas stock tires but not by much, and it's terrain dependent
nightro is offline   Reply With Quote

JConcepts Scorpios v Landmines v Pro-Line Hyrax - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro-Line Hyrax - Predator or G8 compound? Hoyle Tires and Wheels 2 11-13-2019 11:07 AM
Pro-Line Racing 1.4 x 4.19 - 1.9PL Hyrax JatoTheRipper Tires and Wheels 53 05-26-2018 04:32 PM