Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tyre Compound's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Tyre Compound's

Can anyone tell me how the following tyre compounds compare please?

Proline Predator

RC4WD X2SS

Ottsix Super Soft

Thanks
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Default Re: Tyre Compound's

X2SS doesn't even compare as it's an older compound.

The Predator compound is great, but some people say they were quickly. I haven't used mine enough to find out yet.

No experience with Ottsix Super Soft, but their tread pattern leaves a lot to be desired.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
X2SS doesn't even compare as it's an older compound.

The Predator compound is great, but some people say they were quickly. I haven't used mine enough to find out yet.

No experience with Ottsix Super Soft, but their tread pattern leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks for the info, quite a few folk have recommended the predator compound to me so think I'll go for that.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't forget, RC4WD does have a newer/softer compound called X2S3 and their MT/R works well. I'd say it's softer than their old X2SS and Proline G8 for sure, but I can't compare to the Predator compound just yet (though I bought my son a set of Predator KM3's for his birthday in a few weeks.) Pitbull also has their own super soft "Alien" compound that may be a consideration for you since it seems like your looking at soft compounds.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

How does Axial R35 stack up these days?
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
How does Axial R35 stack up these days?
Not good. Even some RTR tires have surpassed it.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not good. Even some RTR tires have surpassed it.
Interesting to know.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
Interesting to know.

Traxxas Canyon Trail tires are a good example.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:03 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

It's tyres for the Capra that I'm trying to decide on, too much choice!
Old 09-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
It's tyres for the Capra that I'm trying to decide on, too much choice!
Same here until I realized I already had new Rock Beast XLs at home.

I'd highly recommend Hyrax for best performance. If you want scale and performance choose Proline TSL Super Swampers or Pitbull Rock Beasts. Those are the three best tires for the terrain near me.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Same here until I realized I already had new Rock Beast XLs at home.

I'd highly recommend Hyrax for best performance. If you want scale and performance choose Proline TSL Super Swampers or Pitbull Rock Beasts. Those are the three best tires for the terrain near me.
Cool thanks. I was tempted by the Rock Beasts in Alien compound.

Another tyre I was looking at is the RC4WD Baja Claw TTC, I've ran the class 1 version before which performed well but that was before all these other choices.

I'm looking for best performance for the most part but reasonably scale. I do like the look of the Capra with the Hyrax's.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Cool thanks. I was tempted by the Rock Beasts in Alien compound.

Another tyre I was looking at is the RC4WD Baja Claw TTC, I've ran the class 1 version before which performed well but that was before all these other choices.

I'm looking for best performance for the most part but reasonably scale. I do like the look of the Capra with the Hyrax's.
I think the RC4WD MT/Rs are better than the Baja Claw TTCs. They have a the newer and better X2S3 rubber compound and the tread just works better for me. The only thing I don't like about the MT/Rs is the tread is almost too soft and it is pushed over at times by obstacles rather than remaining upright and gripping. That's the 1.55's with stock foams though. I do not have experience with the 1.9" versions.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think the RC4WD MT/Rs are better than the Baja Claw TTCs. They have a the newer and better X2S3 rubber compound and the tread just works better for me. The only thing I don't like about the MT/Rs is the tread is almost too soft and it is pushed over at times by obstacles rather than remaining upright and gripping. That's the 1.55's with stock foams though. I do not have experience with the 1.9" versions.
Most definitely agree here, the new X2S3 is better than the X2SS - and the newer compound rubber comes with surprisingly decent foam. Of course, your results may vary, based on vehicle weight and terrain. My MT/R 1.7" tires grip very well, but the tradeoff is always some increased tire wear. I'd get the ones with the biggest lugs - there are 2 of the 1.9" sizes, and the tread is slightly different as well as the OD and width.

Most of RC4WD's new tires are in the new compound.

I don't comp, and I don't currently have any Pro-lines (except for Badlands on my DB8 buggy) or that other brand of tire, so I can't say what is the best in outright traction - especially not for your area.

Best of luck with your build!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have Proline G8 compound in TSL's (4.3"),and Boggers (5.4"). They just plain work and wear like Iron.

I have Rc4wd Boggers in x2ss (4.75")and Goodyear Mtr's (4.19")in the newer compound. The older compound works good not as good in the wet as proline. The new compound works as well as if not better but wears fast.

I have Pitbull Komp compound tires in Growler (4.75") and Rock Beasts (4.45"). Very comparible to prolines G8 compound, but.... They don't like to spin.

Axial r35 compound is similar to Rc4wd x2ss compound, not bad but not great. I put Vaterras tsl's in the same group.

I have no experiance with Voodoo's, but the guys I ran with soon went back to Proline and Pitbull.... If that tells you anything.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 09-21-2019 at 12:49 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Looks like it’s a toss up between the Proline or Pitbull.

I’ve not seen any pics of the Capra with Rock Beasts or Growlers yet.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'd like to just mention that my predator compound mud terrain km3 really stand out from my other tires. Impressive performance.
As for Axial, I'd like to put in a good word for the Nitto trail grapplers (C.I 4.25 double stage foam). Performs great and they also look good. I wish more people would give them a try.
Seems to me the R35 compound varies a lot between tires. Nitto = great. KO2 = terrible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 10-01-2019 at 05:41 AM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I'd like to just mention that my predator compound mud terrain km3 really stand out from my other tires. Impressive performance.
As for Axial, I'd like to put in a good word for the Nitto trail grapplers (C.I 4.25 double stage foam). Performs great and they also look good. I wish more people would give them a try.
Seems to me the R35 compound varies a lot between tires. Nitto = great. KO2 = terrible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
the R35 KR2s that came with my Bomber kit were awful. The tires that came on my sub-$200 Force RC Hammerjaw put them to shame. The KR2s are soft-ish, but have absolutely no "stick" at all.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Looks like it’s a toss up between the Proline or Pitbull.

I’ve not seen any pics of the Capra with Rock Beasts or Growlers yet.

Mine will have 1.9 Rock Beast Cal's on it when I'm finished the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
the R35 KR2s that came with my Bomber kit were awful. The tires that came on my sub-$200 Force RC Hammerjaw put them to shame. The KR2s are soft-ish, but have absolutely no "stick" at all.

Agreed. The Bomber kit R35 tires were garbage. That's why I'm not upset that the Capra doesn't come with R35 tires.

The R35 of the Ripsaw days seemed much better than the new R35 compound, but maybe that's just because they didn't have as much competition as what we have now. But to me it seems like R35 rubber changed for the worst over years.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Agreed. The Bomber kit R35 tires were garbage. That's why I'm not upset that the Capra doesn't come with R35 tires.

The R35 of the Ripsaw days seemed much better than the new R35 compound, but maybe that's just because they didn't have as much competition as what we have now. But to me it seems like R35 rubber changed for the worst over years.
I haven't done a back-to-back comparison on the same rig yet (maybe this weekend?), but I think that the R30 Falcon tires that came with my Yeti kit work better than the R35 KR2s.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

My first tires were Komp Compound 4.45 rock beasts. They have worn and performed well for me. I also run ProLine Hyrax and TSL super swampers in G8 compound 4.75 and they too have predicability for me that does well on the rocks. I have run both the hyrax predator and the rock beast alien 4.75 tires as well. I found them softer than I liked, though I feel that there could be some great use in colder weather outside with them so i have held on to them both for change in weather or for further testing on other surfaces, possible when running through water as well as I found they hold dust as well.

I find that the Hyrax does better on rock surfaces and doesn’t clean out well for mud, dirt or snow.

I have the goodyear MTR in the x2sss in a 1.55 tire that feels soft but not alien or predator soft. Have not driven this rig yet.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tyre Compound's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tyre shopping minicrawler1 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 11-29-2011 01:42 PM
Tyre ?? rccounter Tires and Wheels 1 01-28-2011 07:02 AM
What tyre could be used besides the stock tyre? lotaloi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 03-31-2010 06:22 PM
what tyre to use munky Tires and Wheels 16 09-28-2009 06:23 AM
What 1.9 Tyre to get? Kanzai Tires and Wheels 2 12-01-2007 01:39 PM