Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations inserts for Proline Hyrax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Sr. Product Developer

Default Crawler Innovations inserts for Proline Hyrax

Hi guys i did search the forum but couldn't find specific info...maybe i missed it.

That being said, i'm looking for some suggestions for CI inserts to use on my Predator compound 4.7 Hyrax tires. Running about 2 ounces of weight in the front, zero in the rear on Vanquish wheels.

There are so many options, just trying to get a general idea of what you guys might be using.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Crawler Innovations inserts for Proline Hyrax

Ive run the 4.5 and 4.75 foams i preferred the 4.75 foams in the G8 compound. The predator felt too soft so i have toyed a bit with the tuning rings to keep them from rolling over on themselves. Interested to see what others are doing
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

I'm going to be running Pitbull Rock Beast XLs (4.75" claimed) in Alien Kompound. Eddie of CI recommended CWR-2024 front and CWR-2025 rear. They fill out the tire more than I expected, which is a good thing, since the foams are listed at 4.50". I think these would work well in your rig. If you contact Eddie / Nova's Ark on here and he'd let you know for sure. He's usually quick to respond.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm going to be running Pitbull Rock Beast XLs (4.75" claimed) in Alien Kompound. Eddie of CI recommended CWR-2024 front and CWR-2025 rear. They fill out the tire more than I expected, which is a good thing, since the foams are listed at 4.50". I think these would work well in your rig. If you contact Eddie / Nova's Ark on here and he'd let you know for sure. He's usually quick to respond.
I run these two foams in my stock Gen8 tires. The Gen8 Super Swampers are said to be 4.75", but I suspect they may be a bit smaller. I feel like the 2024/2025 foams fill the tire too much. I don't get any noticeable sidewall flex out of the tires, and I can't even distinguish between the medium and soft foam compounds when I squeeze the tires.

I just bought the same foams for the 4.75" Hyrax tires that I'm going to use on my upcoming Element Enduro kit build. Hopefully those tires are taller so that the foams have a little room to compress a bit. If not, I may go down to 4.25" foams.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run 4.50 soft front and medium rear on the trx4 in very soft 4.75" duratrax deep woods tires.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

4.5 soft non comp cut front with the outer shoulder cut like; so outer --> / ]<-- inner to keep the inner foam from rolling on hard corners and sidehills and the rear gets 4.5" comp cut inners unmodified.

This is in predator compound krawlers but they're basically the same carcass.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
4.5 soft non comp cut front with the outer shoulder cut like; so outer --> / ]<-- inner to keep the inner foam from rolling on hard corners and sidehills and the rear gets 4.5" comp cut inners unmodified.

This is in predator compound krawlers but they're basically the same carcass.
Why don't you like comp cut on the front?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why don't you like comp cut on the front?
It's already soft enough without comp cut and solid foam works better for my cut style.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I prefer 4.5 standard inner, medium outer
Alternatively 4.75 standard inner, soft outer front, medium outer rear
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Very interesting posts. I enjoy reading these threads where customers are posting what works for them individually. RC is unique because each driver, is also the builder/mechanic. Then add in that each crawler and its terrain is also specific. It creates so many variables and opportunities. Fun stuff.

It is interesting to read that some of you prefer the standard shape, but with the outside edges angled. That shape is being discussed on how to offer it as an option, but some details are still being worked out. I know that on the Competition crawler side (not scale rigs), the angled outside edge is preferred. Dlux Fab and I have emailed about this a little bit. I have not seen an interest for that outside angle on the scale side though. Also, sadly, the old school competition crawler market is shrinking. There is no support or seemingly no desire for it.

Also, I have been toying with the idea of eliminating the standard shape all together, to replace it with only comp cut with radius outside edges. By doing this, it would speed up production and allow CI to offer a new line of Heavy Weight Lil Nova Foams. These heavy weight inners are amazing in steering response. Sadly this year has been quite challenging for me and there has been no push for advertising the immediate performance increase of the Heavy Weight line of foams. They clearly work though, the first production run of the Heavy Weight Rock Beast (original height) and the Rock Beast XL height sold out in under one month. More are being cut now and available this month. However, RPP Hobby, A Main Hobbies, and other dealers have them in stock.

Another new product are the Deuce's Wild Dual Stage foams. These are 100% water proof, provide superior steering response, and can be made into triple or quad stage foams with conventional outers and tuning rings stretched over it.

Deuce's Wild Dual Stage - 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast Foam Pair - Crawler Innovations

Deuce's Wild Dual Stage 1.9 *XL* Foam Pair (2) - Crawler Innovations

Also out this year are the new Heavy Weight Tuning Discs. These stop folding on a side hill whether you are using CI foams or stock.

Deuce's Wild Heavy Weight Single Stage 4.50

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The angle cut was brought to my attention by dlux several years ago. After seeing how it makes things react on my comp rigs I've began doing the same to my scale rigs with the same positive results.

Whether offered as a factory setup or not I'll still be cutting foams to my liking.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Sr. Product Developer

Thanks all for the input...still gotta figure it out but the info is very helpful.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #13

Is there any reason angle cuts wouldn't be desirable on scalers?

If you could find or develop closed cell foams with the softness of open cell foams that would be a game changer. Scalers want soft outer foams that are waterproof. I know the architecture of closed cell foams are part of what makes them stiff though.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The angle cut was brought to my attention by dlux several years ago. After seeing how it makes things react on my comp rigs I've began doing the same to my scale rigs with the same positive results.

Whether offered as a factory setup or not I'll still be cutting foams to my liking.
Is there a pic for reference? For some reason I've having trouble visualizing it.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hyrax G8’s Running 4.75 Comp Cut Inners with Soft outers up front, Medium outers in back. Rig is about 8-1/2 pounds with pack. I’ve been pleased with the set up. Great traction and conformity, and the 4.75” foams keep the sidewall a bit stiffer for side hilling.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

This is what we do. The reason is to keep the inner foam from being forced sideways on the wheen on shaft turns, especially down hill turns. It will fold over and then spring back and you'll lose your line. With the cut the force pushes the foam onto the wheel as the tire rolls over a bit and keeps the line held. It works, no doubt about it.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

White-Trash - what’s your method and tool for cutting. I tried this a while back on some foams for my old AX10 and butchered them horribly.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
White-Trash - what’s your method and tool for cutting. I tried this a while back on some foams for my old AX10 and butchered them horribly.
I did that with some mid grade scissors but I used to use some dull old scissors my wife gave me and they worked fine.

I used to make the cuts and then buff the foam back smooth with a 1" flat faced stone in my dremel but figured it didn't make that big of a difference in function and it made a mess so I stopped.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I will have to try that out. I just ordered a hot wire cutter for something else but it should make short work of the foams too.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I will have to try that out. I just ordered a hot wire cutter for something else but it should make short work of the foams too.

My dad turned a 1.9 plastic wheel into a jig for his drill press. This with very low speed plus the hot wire would make it easy.

I don't exactly understand how the angle cut works. Are you saying it leans the foam into the wheel which puts pressure on the opposite side and holds it in place kinda by squeezing the wheel?

Crawler Innovations inserts for Proline Hyrax - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Hyrax 2.2 Question magic_yeti Tires and Wheels 12 10-14-2019 01:07 PM
Proline Hyrax wobble Labenske Tires and Wheels 1 12-22-2018 09:49 AM
Proline foam hyrax 1.9 Crawler innovations deerco Tires and Wheels 6 12-29-2016 10:19 PM
Proline foam hyrax 1.9 Crawler deerco Tires and Wheels 0 12-29-2016 05:45 PM