Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: CI Foams in Pitbull RockBeast 1.9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

Default CI Foams in Pitbull RockBeast 1.9

Looking at changing the foams out on my TRX-4. The stock RockBeast foams are way to stiff. Truck is mainly used as a crawler on rock. Truck weighs around 8lbs in its current form. Per the guide it calls for lil novas 4.50. Firm in the rear medium in the front. Will this be soft enough for rock crawling? What do you recommend?
Nez02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: CI Foams in Pitbull RockBeast 1.9

Yes it will, Lil Novas are designed for crawling performance.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Yes it will, Lil Novas are designed for crawling performance.

So stick with the firm mediums or go with the softs?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nez02 View Post
So stick with the firm mediums or go with the softs?
Medium front and firm rear.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

agree with gottorque. I'm using the soft front/med rear CI foams with my PB rockbeasts on my SCX10.2 and there's some nice squish, but my rig is closer to 6lbs
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mletchworth View Post
agree with gottorque. I'm using the soft front/med rear CI foams with my PB rockbeasts on my SCX10.2 and there's some nice squish, but my rig is closer to 6lbs

That's good to hear. This truck will rock crawl 95% of the time. The local shop we run at has some very steep climbs but also some steep side hills. 99% rock. I just want to make sure these are soft enough to get a good bite there. Sounds like the extra weight of my truck should help me get the same "squish" you are getting with your lighter set up. Many of the guys are running very soft foam but im unsure of the brand.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #7

I have the same suggestion as the others. I run soft/medium in my stock-weight Enduro and I find that the softs up front have too much squish for my tastes. I'm going to add the outer ring back to the foams next time I get motivated to take the wheels apart. You may want to assemble one with the ring and one without the ring, install them, and see which you prefer, then adjust the other one to match.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I picked up some lightly-use Vanquish 2.2 OMFs, to be installed on my 2nd Capra (being built as a Class 3 rig), which came with Rock Beast XLs installed. Truth be told, I got this for the wheels, not the tires. However, the tires are decently broken in, although one pair does have a few small tears between lugs. Since they're already broken in, and at least 2 of the 4 tires are in very good condition, I figured I might as well use them...however, I have some questions.

First, regarding the 2 with the small tears, how long could I expect them to last (installed on the 2.2 wheels, you don't even notice the tears)...or, should I just toss them? Second, if it's suggested/recommended to toss e not-as-good pair, my alternate idea is to mate them up with a pair of Pit Bull Growlers, Pro-Line Hyrax, or JConcepts Landmines. With the last two, I'm assuming either could be front/rear...however, considering the tread pattern on the Growlers, I was thinking the Rock Beast XLs would make great front tires, and the Growlers would make great rear tires. What are people's thoughts on this "mismatched pairing" idea? I do happen to already have 4 very lightly used Growlers (Alien compound), as I recently swapped them for 4 Landmines (also mounted on 202 wheels) on my 1st Capra. So...thoughts, anyone?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote