Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pitbull rock beast xl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

Default Pitbull rock beast xl

Ok guys I got a set because they were supposed to be so great. I have run them with stock foams unvented and vented also with CI comp cut inner medium outer and they just don’t have the bite that my proline tsl xls and hyrax. What am I missing? I even tried adding weight with beef patty’s now luck
kicker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Pitbull rock beast xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker1 View Post
Ok guys I got a set because they were supposed to be so great. I have run them with stock foams unvented and vented also with CI comp cut inner medium outer and they just don’t have the bite that my proline tsl xls and hyrax. What am I missing? I even tried adding weight with beef patty’s now luck
Rock beasts seem to bite better after they are roughed up a bit, do some doughnuts on asphalt or concrete and chew them up a bit. Also it might just be the terrain, my rockbeasts and tsl's work about the same
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
Rock beasts seem to bite better after they are roughed up a bit, do some doughnuts on asphalt or concrete and chew them up a bit. Also it might just be the terrain, my rockbeasts and tsl's work about the same
I was initially disappointed on my first set after 5 runs. I agree. I read "they need to be broken in". My terrain is probably close to your with rocks being mostly granite which slowly breaks them in. After 10 runs they changed big time almost like I poured glue on them before I went out. I haven't tested but a few tires and the PBR2's are perfect for me so I won't change anytime soon.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

You're missing the hype.

I agree with you that the Prolines are overrated and the Hyrax and TSLs work better.

Most tires work better when broken in. That's not specific to Pitbull.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You're missing the hype.

I agree with you that the Prolines are overrated and the Hyrax and TSLs work better.

Most tires work better when broken in. That's not specific to Pitbull.
The Prolines are overrated?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
The Prolines are overrated?

No.

The Pitbull Rock Beast Alien Kompound is overrated.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
v33
Rock Crawler

out of the package the Hyrax actually worked perfectly for me. where my RB2 had a hard time climbing the Hyrax just went over it. but there was something about the looks of the RB2 that made me keep using it.

the first thing i did was vent the tires (using a leather hole punch), then i change my foams to something a little softer (ordering would take a few weeks) so i used the stock axial BFG foams. this actually worked nicely on the trail we run our rigs on, but some how they seem like it could do better. I never thought about actually breaking in the RB2's and instead went the extreme route and cut some of the lugs. I have yet to test this on the trail we hit during weekends, hopefully they work even better.

on my home there is this slight elevation on the walkway that the hyrax climbs without effort, the stock RB2's actually could not make the climb despite it being taller... with the current setup it did manage to climb but i had to be creative with the angle, happy to report it climb it without effort now.

Last edited by v33; 10-19-2017 at 10:54 AM.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Proline TSL and Hyrax are two of the very best just pull out of the bag and have instant gratification tires. RB not in that category but they do have a tighter spaced more streetable lug look. I don't drive mine to work so I run Prolines most of the time. Im a tire collector tho so I keep my Pitbulls in a nice ziploc Proline tire bag.
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I had no problems taking third in Class 2 for my club this season on a set of RBXL. Only reason I took third was losing to scale points. Went against two 60 point trucks all season and I didn't have time to rebuild my rig up to 60. This winter it's game on though. The RBXL are definitely staying. I love them.

I had a set of Hyrax that I turned into 2.2 6" comp tires. I wasn't impressed with them as HyDoos. Didn't inspire me to order another set for my scale trucks.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have run both, I'm currently running XORs.

The hyrax work well on different surfaces that the pitbulls,

They both work better than anything rc3wd makes...
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
I have run both, I'm currently running XORs.

The hyrax work well on different surfaces that the pitbulls,

They both work better than anything rc3wd makes...

Hey man........ The new 1.7 MTR is the cats a_ _.... In all honesty, the PL TSL has served me well over the years. Currently all I own is PB XL's, and XOR's. Don't listen to the naysayer's the PB's are amazing.

P.s- I don't know how the HYRAX works because I refuse to purchase a comp based tire for my scale rigs...
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

These threads crack me up. One guy says X brand tire is the best. Another guy says no those tires suck, Z brand is the best. Then people start arguing over tecnicalities,X tire is to tall, Z tire is to short. X tire is to wide, Z tire is to narrow... Then someone starts hyping the newest tire out there.

But what it really boils down to is...

No one tire is going to be the best at everything. And terrain plays a big roll in the type of tire to choose. Closely spaced lugs like the P.B. rock beast work fantastic on big rock sheets, sand and hard pack, And the open lug tires work, cut boggers, Tsl's work good in mud, loose soil, and tree roots.

All of the major companies have good compounds, R35, G8, Alien, Rc4wd( whatever compound they are caling it now). Compared to ten years ago, we have so many choices it is mind boggling. Anyone else remember the scale tire from proline called the Hammer. avalible in M2 compound?

I think we had 3 tires from rc4wd, and two from proline back then, and all 2.2" and mostly hard as a rock.

So be glad for what we have now, and find a tire you like and run it.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Except for rc3wd tires. They don't work better than anything.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Except for rc3wd tires. They don't work better than anything.
I get you don't like RC4WD for whatever reason but their X2 S3 compound is legit (as Doubler mentioned the 1.7 MT-Rs). The Dick Cepek Extreme Country 1.9s are as good of a C1 tire as anything on the market (and I probably own all the good C1 tires and some not so good ones too).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

KLR's......
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No.

The Pitbull Rock Beast Alien Kompound is overrated.
That's what I thought you meant

tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I get you don't like RC4WD for whatever reason but their X2 S3 compound is legit (as Doubler mentioned the 1.7 MT-Rs). The Dick Cepek Extreme Country 1.9s are as good of a C1 tire as anything on the market (and I probably own all the good C1 tires and some not so good ones too).
Is X2 S3 a new compound? I haven't seen that one. X2 SS is the softest RC4WD compound that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
KLR's......
Nobody likes those rock hard tires. LOL
Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is X2 S3 a new compound? I haven't seen that one. X2 SS is the softest RC4WD compound that I know of.
X2 S3 is the newest RC4WD compound, it is noticeably softer and stickier than X2 SS. There are only a handful of tires out in the new compound so far (Extreme Country, all sizes of MT-Rs, Ground Hawgs, and maybe a few others).
Old 10-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
X2 S3 is the newest RC4WD compound, it is noticeably softer and stickier than X2 SS. There are only a handful of tires out in the new compound so far (Extreme Country, all sizes of MT-Rs, Ground Hawgs, and maybe a few others).
I didn't know that. How do they wear? The X2 SS tires wear way too quickly and they chunk as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I didn't know that. How do they wear? The X2 SS tires wear way too quickly and they chunk as well.
Haven't run them enough to get an idea on wear.

Pitbull rock beast xl - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers Vs. Mad Beast (1.9) Flim Flam Tires and Wheels 31 08-02-2016 03:02 AM