Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tallest 1.7 tire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #1

Default Tallest 1.7 tire?

Hey everyone. Im working on a custom build, and I have decided on a set of 1.7 wheels. I am wanting to find the tallest 1.7 tire I can to help aid in ground clearance. So far, I have found the RC4WD Interco Super Swampers, at 4.49 inches. I was curious if anyone knew of anything that might be a little taller. My ultimate goal was to have the tires be between 4.5-5 inches tall, so this is right at the low end of my goal, so I thought I would ask if anyone knew of any that might be closer to 5.

With that being said, I also am not a super huge fan of the tread on these, but if its what I have to use for the height, its what Ill do. But, I would prefer more of an A/T or M/T type of tire.

Here are the tires I found at 4.49 inches. https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Interc...re_p_3846.html
jfrye2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tallest 1.7 tire?

I dont think 5" tall tires are offered in anything below a 1.9 and even with the 1.9's I think theres only 1.

Check out this tire size database and see what you can find! click the tire size tab at the top and it will filter by tire size.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1883783709
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. On my Ascender I run Duratrax at 4.75 inches tall, so was just trying to find the closes thing. I see people stretching 1.9s onto 2.2 wheels. Does that only work for beadlock wheels? The wheels I will be getting are glue on, so is it possible to stretch and glue a 1.55 tire onto it? I found a 1.55 with a tread I like better that is only .2mm shorter than the tires I posted.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sorry I've never stretched tires. I would assume its done with beadlocks though I dont see why it wouldn't also work with a glue on. Getting the bead in the groove where its glued is probably easier than with a beadlock, just stretch it over. Compared to a beadlock where the bead gets pressed in from the side likely making it whole different challenge.

I'd want to do a test fit it before gluing them to make sure it looks right, or ideally before the tires were purchased lol.

here's a bunch of threads on stretching tires https://www.google.com/search?q=stre...w=2560&bih=983

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-13-2020 at 11:00 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There shouldn't be any issue at all with stretching 1.55" tires onto a 1.7" glue-on wheel.

What wheels are you using?

Any particular reason you are going with glue-ons rather than beadlocks?

(just curious...)

I have a set of 1.7" tires mounted on 1.9" beadlocks, and a set of 1.9" tires mounted on 2.2" beadlocks - as long as the tire has a decent amount of sidewall it all tends to work quite well.

The taller the tire, the better it will work stretched onto a larger wheel - too small of a outer diameter and you end up with the dreaded "mall-crawler" look!

top pic are the 1.7" tires mounted on 1.9" beadlocks, bottom pic are the 1.9" tires mounted on 2.2" beadlocks:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #6

The wheels I am looking at using are actually for 1/14 semi trucks. So they are all 1.7 glue on wheels. It does seem though, that the wheels might be too narrow to actually work for what Im wanting. It seems like most of the wheels are only 3/4 to 1 inch wide, and im not sure how well that will work on the rears when the tires I am looking at are 1.6 inches wide. Even if I could get them to fit on the front wheels, I dont see anyway possible to get the tires mounted properly on the duals.

With that being said, I do currently own a set of Axial 1.9 Dually wheels. https://www.amazon.com/Racing-SCX-10...9239090&sr=8-4
But everything is plastic, including the hubs. The hubs crack as soon as you try to install the screws, so rather than trying to find someone to make the hubs in aluminum, I was looking at other options for wheels. But it looks like I might have to stick with these wheels just due to the 1/14 dually wheels being so narrow.

Only other option would be RC4WD 1.7 OEM dually wheels, but they are being discontinued, and I wasnt really wanting to spend 350 on wheels, if I can even find the front wheels.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ebay and Amazon have quite alot of choices for 1.7 dually's. Not sure what style your looking for, but I just picked up these Integy rims from Amazon...

Fronts
Rears

I'll bet you could get these to stretch onto 1.7's easily.

MT Baja Claws

While you have decided to use 1/14 duallys, the other issue is the width of tires at the height you want. When you try to put them on your dually rims, there isn't enough space between the rims to get those large tires to seat right. You may be able to fab a spacer to widen the space. Also the bead width on the semi rims is narrower than a standard 1.7 or 1.9 rim so the bead for most tires would have to be trimmed to seat correctly. You could try reducing some tall 1.9's also.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
Ebay and Amazon have quite alot of choices for 1.7 dually's. Not sure what style your looking for, but I just picked up these Integy rims from Amazon...

Fronts
Rears

I'll bet you could get these to stretch onto 1.7's easily.

MT Baja Claws

While you have decided to use 1/14 duallys, the other issue is the width of tires at the height you want. When you try to put them on your dually rims, there isn't enough space between the rims to get those large tires to seat right. You may be able to fab a spacer to widen the space. Also the bead width on the semi rims is narrower than a standard 1.7 or 1.9 rim so the bead for most tires would have to be trimmed to seat correctly. You could try reducing some tall 1.9's also.
Thank you for the response. I had actually looked at those wheels, but at only 3/4 of an inch wide, the narrowest tire I could find was 1.6" wide. There is no way for me to get those on the rear duals, since I cant really fabricate anything myself.

I did however find out that the 1.9 dually wheels I do currently have, I can use rc4wd hubs on the front wheels, but since the rears are a 7 lug, I will have to have some rear hubs machined for those wheels. I think this will be the best bet to achieve my goal, so as of now that will be the path I attempt.

Thank you to those who have helped with input on this. I do appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

As long as we have a thread talking about duallies, Boom Racing has dually adapters for their 1.55 and 1.9 steelie wheels:

https://www.boomracingrc.com/boom-ra...beadlocks-3279

Their adapters are adjustable in width, allowing for different tires to be used.

Their steelie wheels can be run with the hubs bolted to either side of the wheel, giving them a deep-dish look when flipped inside out.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Durok, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Tallest 1.7 tire? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tallest 1.9 tire? Bigdaddy76 Tires and Wheels 10 12-05-2014 01:54 PM
Tallest 2.2 tire??? fatguy7814 Newbie General 4 12-03-2012 08:48 PM
Tallest tire 1beatjeep General Crawlers 6 01-13-2009 08:13 PM
Tallest 1.9 tire??? rock runt Tires and Wheels 5 07-13-2008 04:52 PM