Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Would a dual foam kit be worth it for a traxxas canyon tire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #1

Default Would a dual foam kit be worth it for a traxxas canyon tire?

I have a Bronco TRX4 which weight around 6.5lbs

The Canyon trail are pretty good tire and I did the cut mod on them.

Do you think it would be worth it to replace the stock foam with dual-compound foam?

If so which foam would you recommend?

Thank you
shingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Would a dual foam kit be worth it for a traxxas canyon tire?

I don't have a TRX4, but does the Bronco come with beadlock wheels? if not, you're gonna have a difficult time removing the tires since they're glued on (and Traxxas uses lots of glue). I just took a set of Canyon Trails off some TRX4 sport wheels because the foams had gotten wet and broken apart. Used a heat gun and some welding gloves. Unfortunately after all that work, I discovered that the Traxxas tires don't really fit 1.9 beadlocks too well, especially old ones that have been heated and stretched to get them off the stock wheels. The hole was noticeably larger than all the other 1.9 tires I have. Maybe 2.2 beadlocks would work better? See here: Beadlocks don't fit canyon trail

If you can get them off successfully and have some wheels to put them back on, I'd recommend the Crawler Innovations Lil Nova 4.5" dual stage foams
Front: Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.50
Rear: Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.50

I'm using the soft/med 4.25" in my Pit Bull Rock Beast tires that are 4.45" diameter in my truck (6-7 lbs) and they're great. Since the Canyon Trails are 4.64" diameter, I think the 4.5" foams would work better for you.

Last edited by Mletchworth; 01-15-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #3

I was thinking of removing the trx 4 tire from the oem wheel which is glued on, putting dual stage foam and gluing them back on the oem wheel.

According to your experience, it doesn’t seem to be a good idea because of the glue.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #4

The best thing to do is contact Crawler Innovations and ask him. He usually has a pretty good idea, but sometimes I do think he oversizes the foams. But foams, like most things, are also preference based.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo View Post
I was thinking of removing the trx 4 tire from the oem wheel which is glued on, putting dual stage foam and gluing them back on the oem wheel.
That's a pretty decent plan as long as you're not planning on driving through water. If you're planning on staying dry, then ignore this whole paragraph. The TRX4 plastic wheels are vented on the inside with small holes. If water gets in there, it will be impossible to get back out. You could always vent the tires as well (punch 2 small holes middle of tread) but even then it's hard to dry out open cell foams inside the tires.

It just depends how badly you want to use the Canyon Trails and how much you're willing to spend. If there's nothing really wrong with your tires now but you want to upgrade, I would recommend buying a different set of tires and a set of cheap aluminum beadlock rims to add some weight down low. That way you've got an extra set of fully functional wheels/tires.

Injora beadlock wheels $40-42 (I have a set of these and they're surprisingly good quality) https://www.amazon.com/INJORA-Beadlo...d-games&sr=1-5 or you can find plastic beadlocks for even cheaper

Maybe you don't want to spend another 90 bucks on top of the $40 or so for CI foams. But in my case, I probably ruined my Canyon Trails trying to get them off the rims to the point that they're in the trash right now. I don't feel too bad about it because the foams had gotten wet, turned to mush, and wouldn't support any weight at all. If they still had good foams and worked properly, I would have regretted trying to take them off.

You might have better luck than I did though.
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mletchworth View Post
I don't have a TRX4, but does the Bronco come with beadlock wheels? if not, you're gonna have a difficult time removing the tires since they're glued on (and Traxxas uses lots of glue). I just took a set of Canyon Trails off some TRX4 sport wheels because the foams had gotten wet and broken apart. Used a heat gun and some welding gloves. Unfortunately after all that work, I discovered that the Traxxas tires don't really fit 1.9 beadlocks too well, especially old ones that have been heated and stretched to get them off the stock wheels. The hole was noticeably larger than all the other 1.9 tires I have. Maybe 2.2 beadlocks would work better? See here: Beadlocks don't fit canyon trail

If you can get them off successfully and have some wheels to put them back on, I'd recommend the Crawler Innovations Lil Nova 4.5" dual stage foams
Front: Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.50
Rear: Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.50

I'm using the soft/med 4.25" in my Pit Bull Rock Beast tires that are 4.45" diameter in my truck (6-7 lbs) and they're great. Since the Canyon Trails are 4.64" diameter, I think the 4.5" foams would work better for you.

An excellent way to get glued on tires off a wheel is to boil them. I had great success getting my Canyon Trails off the plastic, glued RTR wheels super clean with no glue residue left behind.

Boil them for around 20 mins or so. Pull them out and work the edge of the bead manually. Obviously be careful as they'll be super hot and the foams will be holding some scalding water. Works perfect, and beats the heck out of the heat gun method.

To the OP's question - Yes, the Canyon Trails are definitely a good enough tire to invest in some good foams. This is precisely why I boiled mine off - that and to add some weight down low with aluminum wheels.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #7

I decided to buy another set of wheel, tire and foam

I bought CI soft and medium dual stage 4.75inch

A set of cheap aluminum bead lock from aliexpress ( got a great deal )

A set of jconcept landmines tire
Old 01-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run the Proline dual stage foams in TRX4 Canyon Trail tires (with cut mod) on aluminum China eBay beadlocks and they are my favorite combo.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
I run the Proline dual stage foams in TRX4 Canyon Trail tires (with cut mod) on aluminum China eBay beadlocks and they are my favorite combo.

Any issues ungluing the canyon trail?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Any issues ungluing the canyon trail?

No.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #11

I’ve used the ci lil nova in a few different tires now, they really can change a rig. Like the others side get a size smaller and give the out foam a little more room to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacrawford View Post
I’ve used the ci lil nova in a few different tires now, they really can change a rig. Like the others side get a size smaller and give the out foam a little more room to work.

So fo Jconcept landmines tires which are about 4.73 inch tall, would you get the 4.5 CI or 4.75 CI ?
Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
So fo Jconcept landmines tires which are about 4.73 inch tall, would you get the 4.5 CI or 4.75 CI ?

I’m running hyrax that measure 4.73 and I have lil’ nova 4.5. They have been the most deadly combination I’ve ever run.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacrawford View Post
I’m running hyrax that measure 4.73 and I have lil’ nova 4.5. They have been the most deadly combination I’ve ever run.

What is the weight of your rig and which 4.5 do you have front and rear?

Old 01-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
What is the weight of your rig and which 4.5 do you have front and rear?

Running soft front and rear, with the additional thin outer foam it came with to help fill the void

Would a dual foam kit be worth it for a traxxas canyon tire? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas canyon trail 1.9 AustinR262 Tires and Wheels 14 04-19-2019 02:39 PM
Traxxas canyon trail mods pieterv3814 Tires and Wheels 7 03-23-2019 12:08 PM
Deuce's Wild XL Foam Pair; 3.8" ID; Yeti XL Foam / BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 12 08-31-2015 08:20 AM