Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Default Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks

I've been having a hard time getting much information on this topic.

I have a TRX4 and the wife picked up a set of beadlocks. I used a heat gun and got the tires off the factory wheels and installed on the beadlocks.....However, there are no wholes drilled in the beadlocks.

Should I vent the tires? I have a 4mm leather punch that I use on all my 1/8th scale stuff, but wasn't sure if crawler tires should be purposely punctured or not.

I have a drill press and could try to drill holes into the wheels but with the beadlock ring going over top of the inner wheel pieces I'm not sure how air would get through, I feel like I'd have to drill a hole and line it up during installation.

What do you all do?
Hoss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks

Just curious, but, what brand are the beadlocks? Using SSD & Vanquish as examples, SSD uses plastic center rings, so they're easy to drill, and Vanquish has "pre-tapped" points from their rings, showing where to drill

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Venting is not required but it can improve traction. You can vent the wheel or the tire, personally I vent the tire.

Depending on the foams and whether you run through water or not you may or may not want to vent. A closed cell foam is waterproof but open cells are not. People will say that you can get the water out of the foam if you vent the tire and spin the tires up... but I disagree with that as I've had sets that were wet after trying that and letting it sit up high (to dry out) for weeks. Only way to completely dry them out is to disassemble them which can be a huge chore depending on the wheels.

I use a old soldering iron to melt 1/8" holes in the tire, usually 2 on opposite sides or 3 (equally spaced). 4mm seems just a touch on the large side but it may be okay.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-28-2020 at 04:12 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'd try em without venting first, it's much easier to add holes then it is to remove them.

You could also cover any holes you make with Gorilla tape etc. if you know it's gonna be a wet run.

Where I live there is ALWAYS water, I personally never vent for that reason.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
I'd try em without venting first, it's much easier to add holes then it is to remove them.

You could also cover any holes you make with Gorilla tape etc. if you know it's gonna be a wet run.

Where I live there is ALWAYS water, I personally never vent for that reason.
So your tires are always "Inflated" essentially since there is no way for air to move in and out?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Just curious, but, what brand are the beadlocks? Using SSD & Vanquish as examples, SSD uses plastic center rings, so they're easy to drill, and Vanquish has "pre-tapped" points from their rings, showing where to drill

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I believe she got then on Amazon so I'm sure they are cheap CN crap. She is a little too practical to dump $100 on beadlocks for a toy car.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss81 View Post
I believe she got then on Amazon so I'm sure they are cheap CN crap. She is a little too practical to dump $100 on beadlocks for a toy car.
Not a "toy". Kids play with "toys"...adults play with "powered scale vehicles".

Old 01-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Your best bet is to vent your tires. Your leather punch will work perfect. I do 2 holes 180 opposite each other on the tire, along the centerline and between treads. To allow your foams to work, you have to allow the tire to breathe. CI foams has some good posts on this here on the forums, at his website.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Not a "toy". Kids play with "toys"...adults play with "powered scale vehicles".

Lol, trust me. I've been through that a thousand times with her. She hates all hobbies and sees them as a gigantic waste of money.

She calls them toys to bother me.....it usually works.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Lol, trust me. I've been through that a thousand times with her. She hates all hobbies and sees them as a gigantic waste of money.

She calls them toys to bother me.....it usually works.
Sounds like one of our other chauffeurs, and his live-in ex-wife.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So your tires are always "Inflated" essentially since there is no way for air to move in and out?
I'm not adding air to my tires, no they aren't inflated.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I'd say its more like running a tire with low PSI as even a non vented tire has some "crush" to it.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'd say its more like running a tire with low PSI as even a non vented tire has some "crush" to it.
If you could read the tire pressure or lack there of with a standard tire gauge, it would read 0 psi.

Literally not adding any air pressure to the tire, it's the exact same air pressure as the atmosphere surrounding it when mounted.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 01-28-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
If you could read the tire pressure or lack there of with a standard tire gauge, it would read 0 psi. Literally not adding any air to the tire, it's the exact same air pressure as the atmosphere surrounding it when mounted.

I agree, I wasn't trying to correct you. You're right it is running 0 PSI essentially, but since its an RC the comparison to a 1:1 tire would be closer to an aired down tire. Thats all I meant.

I think people underestimate how good crawler tires can work non vented, sure there's some room to improve but they still work damn good (provided they are actually good tires to begin with).
Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think people underestimate how good crawler tires can work non vented, sure there's some room to improve but they still work damn good (provided they are actually good tires to begin with).
Absolutely!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #16
RCC Addict

The only tires I have that are vented are the stock glued tires on plastic wheels. None of my bead lock wheels are vented and I have never felt a need to vent them. But do what works best for your driving style.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-30-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Same. Non vented tires.
I like to run with CI closed cell foam in a smaller diameter. This way I have an air gap which let the tire work really well and still have good side hill stability.
Maybe not as good as vented, but more then good enough for my runs and no mess when driving through mud and water.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I run non vented on my heavy d90. It works much better for me. Its all dependent on your setup though. It doesn’t work on any of my other rigs because they weigh almost nothing compared to the d90. The rigs seem too bouncy then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #19

Well I appreciate all the feedback. I'm still running on the factory TRX4 foams but I have done the "Star" modification where I have cut the foams. They seem to be ok un-vented but I am going to my first crawler course in a few days and wanted to make sure they were going to be ok. Should be entertaining.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Color me stupid then. I started in go fast trucks, non vented and taped to stop tire growth at speed..(pizza Cutter effect) found that belted tires and good foams didnt grow, good foams are the "air" in our tires. yes you need to vent], PLEASE stop the water nonsense. Eddie at CI has an entire article on WHY and WHAT......simply put two stage foams are for our crawlers, single stage or none is for toys.

side note, I live in the Everglades..........A bit of water here!
Foam Guide

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-29-2020 at 01:50 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venting aluminum wheels ?? nitro5514 Tires and Wheels 6 03-10-2013 06:44 AM
How To: Venting and adding weights to beadlocks... justinart24 Tires and Wheels 4 03-16-2011 02:48 PM
venting maximizer beadlocks Thorsteenster Tires and Wheels 4 10-24-2006 12:47 PM