Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Proline hyrax vs. jconcepts rupture?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Proline hyrax vs. jconcepts rupture?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new set of tires for my axial Capra. Definitely going to run 2.2. I'm in Arizona.

Trying to decide between the hyrax in Predator compound or jconcepts rupture in green compound. The last high performance 2.2 Tire I used was the HB Rover White so I'm a bit out of the loop on what works best today.

Both have excellent reviews, anyone have a chance to compare hyrax to Ruptures or have an opinion?

PS, also considering the new d-lux Tire, but at $80 with no foams, that might be out of my budget.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #2

Default Re: Proline hyrax vs. jconcepts rupture?

Tire performance varies by terrain. For around here I prefer the Hyrax Predator over JConcepts green. JConcepts makes nice tires that work pretty well, but I don't think they are on the same level as Hyrax in Predator or even G8.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

In general, I prefer the Ruptures over the Hyrax myself. The compound wasn't as much of an issue as the actual pattern and I find that the more open lugged pattern of the Ruptures works better for me. Predator is softer than "green", but that's only noticeable for me on slick/polished rock. The sidewall on the Ruptures have too much tread for my liking so I shaved it off. The Hyrax sidewalls got shaved too, but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary. The Ruptures also stand 1/4-3/8" taller on the same car.

Here's a ringer that many won't agree with: the Duratrax DeepWoods might be better than either of those. Their compound falls somewhere between the 2 (Predator and Green), their height is closer to the Ruptures, they have nice tall/open lugs on the edges but with a tighter pattern down the center, and the sidewalls aren't obnoxiously lugged like the Ruptures. I'd for sure choose them over the Proline's (it doesn't hurt that they're 1/2 the price too) but it would be a toss up between the Deepwoods and Ruptures for me, I could argue the pro's/con's of either depending on the situation.

One thing is for sure, all of their included foams suck! They're much too soft. The Duratrax are the biggest offender here, even on a 5lb car, I was able to wad them up into little balls with even a hint of getting in a bind. Soft outer foam isn't the problem, such tall tires just need more inner support, even on a light car.

I had to run .475 hubs to keep the Ruptures from latching on to the cage/links on my Capra when turning, but get away with a .225 using the Hyrax. The size of the Hyrax or Dlux tires just makes more sense to me on that particular car to keep it reasonably narrow (still far from narrow at ~10 7/8") had the Dlux tires been available at the time, I likely would have gone with them since they seem to offer the most features I desire from each of the tires mentioned.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Predator is softer than "green", but that's only noticeable for me on slick/polished rock.
The only time I noticed the Predators being significantly better than Proline's own G8 compound is when the rocks were wet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thx for your thoughts. Your feedback helps me process the data, but I'm still not settled on which way to go.

Yeah, the Ruptures resemble a modern Rover with that open lug pattern.
Love the price, don't love the 6" tire height.

Calling several Arizona LHS's guys seem pretty much Hyrax fans, favoring the Predator compound.

Dlux tires look like they would be amazing, but they're new with very little feedback (theres some on FB). And the price is steep.
$80 tires + $40 foams = $120!

Here's a pic of the Dlux alongside Ruptures and Rovers...

Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
In general, I prefer the Ruptures over the Hyrax myself. The compound wasn't as much of an issue as the actual pattern and I find that the more open lugged pattern of the Ruptures works better for me. Predator is softer than "green", but that's only noticeable for me on slick/polished rock. The sidewall on the Ruptures have too much tread for my liking so I shaved it off. The Hyrax sidewalls got shaved too, but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary. The Ruptures also stand 1/4-3/8" taller on the same car.

Here's a ringer that many won't agree with: the Duratrax DeepWoods might be better than either of those. Their compound falls somewhere between the 2 (Predator and Green), their height is closer to the Ruptures, they have nice tall/open lugs on the edges but with a tighter pattern down the center, and the sidewalls aren't obnoxiously lugged like the Ruptures. I'd for sure choose them over the Proline's (it doesn't hurt that they're 1/2 the price too) but it would be a toss up between the Deepwoods and Ruptures for me, I could argue the pro's/con's of either depending on the situation.

One thing is for sure, all of their included foams suck! They're much too soft. The Duratrax are the biggest offender here, even on a 5lb car, I was able to wad them up into little balls with even a hint of getting in a bind. Soft outer foam isn't the problem, such tall tires just need more inner support, even on a light car.

I had to run .475 hubs to keep the Ruptures from latching on to the cage/links on my Capra when turning, but get away with a .225 using the Hyrax. The size of the Hyrax or Dlux tires just makes more sense to me on that particular car to keep it reasonably narrow (still far from narrow at ~10 7/8") had the Dlux tires been available at the time, I likely would have gone with them since they seem to offer the most features I desire from each of the tires mentioned.
Thanks for taking the time to give all that info. Ive been researching the Duratrax tires and both the deep woods and showdown have loads of excellent reviews!

Why aren't they being talked about more on here?

Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.DUKE View Post
Thanks for taking the time to give all that info. Ive been researching the Duratrax tires and both the deep woods and showdown have loads of excellent reviews!

Why aren't they being talked about more on here?

I think most of the discussion regarding the Duratrax tires takes place here:

Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires
durok is online now   Reply With Quote

Proline hyrax vs. jconcepts rupture? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Hyrax 2.2 Question magic_yeti Tires and Wheels 12 10-14-2019 01:07 PM
Proline Hyrax G8 or Predator? Need help! Insanehobbies Traxxas TRX-4 17 01-22-2019 08:25 AM
Proline Hyrax wobble Labenske Tires and Wheels 1 12-22-2018 09:49 AM
proline hyrax 1.9 any new updates? fomoco Tires and Wheels 14 07-09-2017 12:34 PM
Jconcepts rupture 2.2 tire review in tire section of crawler stankulas Massachusetts 0 08-17-2016 02:35 PM