RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Cheap eBay knock offs vs higher end tires (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/616187-cheap-ebay-knock-offs-vs-higher-end-tires.html)

#lifebehindbars 03-07-2020 02:25 PM

Cheap eBay knock offs vs higher end tires

Is it really worth paying more for the high end tires over a cheap eBay one with the same lug pattern?

#lifebehindbars 03-07-2020 02:26 PM

Re: Cheap eBay knock offs vs higher end tires

And if there of a similar compound?

JatoTheRipper 03-07-2020 04:42 PM

Brand name tires are definitely worth the money. They are the single part that has the most effect on performance. Proline tires are the least expensive out of the top brand names and they’re my favorite.

Lots of people will tell you knockoff tires are just as good. That’s a lie. I have brand names and knockoffs. The brand names are always better.

durok 03-07-2020 06:57 PM

Duratrax, JConcepts, and RC4WD (listed in order of average price on RPP Hobbies) also offer less expensive tire options but with much better than cheap eBay knock-off rubber compounds.

For RC4WD, pay attention to which specific compound the model you want is offered in, as they have many different ones.

Advanced X2S³ is their stickiest (and fastest-wearing), Advanced X2 SS next best - other compounds are available, but tend to be harder rubber.

mewalsh100 03-08-2020 12:39 PM

Yes - it’s worth it. Along with good foams, tires are one of the single best improvements you can make to your rigs performance. As durok mentioned, compound is very important. The knock off tires tend to be a cheaper, harder compound that just won’t hook up and stick where and when you need it.

ferp420 03-08-2020 04:29 PM

the name brand tires are about 25% better for 75% more in price are they worth it well that depends mostly on what your doing with the truck if you want peek performance ya its worth it but thats not always needed and almost every tire has its day
were the name brands shine though is in the cold and the wet
the chinese tires do good on warm dry ruff rock and hard pack and are best on a heavy rig

odomandr 03-08-2020 06:49 PM

Proline fits my budget and I have been impressed by the g8 compound in multiple patterns and sizes. The knockoff has some serious off gassing and the pitbulls were not impressive for their cost in comparison. I need to see some in person evidence of voodoo or pitbull outperforming the others for me to be swayed. I have liked the few rc4wd tires I have purchased for their scale appearance but cannot comment on performance for them in any way. The knockoffs smell something fierce. Buyer beware

DeoreDX 03-09-2020 06:57 AM

For me the biggest advantage of the "Name Brand" tires is you know exactly what you are getting as far as tire compound. NO name knockoff tire? Who knows what compound it is. Maybe it's good, maybe it isn't. Who's to say it's the same compound the second time you buy the tire? I've bought cheap knock off tires before and they've worked fine. Usually when I've done that it's because I just needed a set of tires to get a vehicle running and I didn't really care if it was a great performer situation.

colbynobo 03-09-2020 09:22 AM

Depending on how and where you drive you may also discover that the tires can last a long time. Since I only give my crawler tires the occasional full-trigger blip they don't get thrashed too often. For example, I have a set of Pitbull Rockbeasts that are 3 years old and still look very, very good. I feel as though I've truly gotten my money's worth out of them and more-or-less easily absorbed any cost difference between them and a clone.

soze 03-09-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 6003277)
The knockoffs smell something fierce. Buyer beware

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 6003396)
I ordered Amazon tires once. They stunk up the house for days and days.

This is one of the reasons that I stay away from those cheap tires now. I really cannot stand the smell, and it gives me headaches. On the swamper knock-offs... I tried leaving them out to off-gas for days to no avail. The toxic stink is a hard one to get rid of with the knock-offs.

My favorite tires by far are pro-line g8's. They perform well and are durable enough to last you for a while.

I tried the pitbulls, and they're ok, but IMO the pro-line compound is better and for less money.

themountain 03-09-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 6003396)
Yes, in my experience. I ordered Amazon tires once. They stunk up the house for days and days. Never grippy.....

Yeah, yeah ...thats a common song but the truth is that some copies are out there which are probably better than the original ;)
The thing is to find them 8)

Natedog 03-09-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 6003402)
This is one of the reasons that I stay away from those cheap tires now. I really cannot stand the smell, and it gives me headaches. On the swamper knock-offs... I tried leaving them out to off-gas for days to no avail. The toxic stink is a hard one to get rid of with the knock-offs.

My favorite tires by far are pro-line g8's. They perform well and are durable enough to last you for a while.

I tried the pitbulls, and they're ok, but IMO the pro-line compound is better and for less money.

"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

JatoTheRipper 03-09-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 6003446)
Yeah, yeah ...thats a common song but the truth is that some copies are out there which are probably better than the original ;)
The thing is to find them 8)

What copies are better than the original? I’ve never found this to be true.

dezfan 03-09-2020 10:21 PM

You want a really good tire that’s inexpensive?

This is it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Louise-Cham...tuBDbEGPL0HBXQ

Essentially Duratrax Deep Woods.

Note, you’ll still need a good set of foams.

Natedog 03-10-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 6003595)
Ditto. And, find them how...order, wait, try, discard, order again? You could easily drop more dough than had you trotted down to the LHS to squeeze a pair of name brand tires in your own two hands.

Jato said:

Originally Posted by themountain View Post
The thing is to find them

"thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 6003690)
Yeah, some guys don't mind Duratrax tires. You're right about needing good foams on account of the sidewalls being thin. Just this weekend a buddy showed me how he had to close a big gash using Krazy glue. He gave up trying to unglue them for beadlocks, fearing they would rip to shreds.

I've found similar results. "thumbsup"

#lifebehindbars 03-10-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6003534)

The sound of silence, disturbeds “copy” is way better than the original

JatoTheRipper 03-10-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #lifebehindbars (Post 6003844)

That's not RC parts though! I guess I should have specified! :lmao:

themountain 03-11-2020 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6003534)

Probably better ....Austar chirax copy, KLR fom Injora, Louise tires...list goes on brother ;-)

GA Dawg 03-11-2020 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #lifebehindbars (Post 6003844)

https://media1.giphy.com/media/hPPx8yk3Bmqys/giphy.gif

JatoTheRipper 03-11-2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 6003882)
Probably better ....Austar chirax copy, KLR fom Injora, Louise tires...list goes on brother ;-)

Louise is just Duratrax and I don't consider those to be copies of anything so I'll leave them out of the conversation.

I've tried Injora and those are far from "probably better" than the real things. On clean and dry rocks the performance is close, but once you add in wet forget it. Also, the Injora tires wear faster than any other tire I've seen.