RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   KLR and KLR-X4 Tires (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/616431-klr-klr-x4-tires.html)

JatoTheRipper 03-19-2020 07:06 AM

KLR and KLR-X4 Tires

I am going to get another set of KLR's for my VS4-10. I currently have KLR's in silver and they are stiff for my liking. I'm going for either the KLR or KLR-X4 in gold or red and I'm looking for as much feedback as I can get.

Thoughts on KLR vs KLR-X4?

Also thoughts on gold compound vs red compound?

Thank you.

B-MOW71 03-19-2020 09:14 AM

Re: KLR and KLR-X4 Tires

Following!:)

JatoTheRipper 03-19-2020 10:48 AM

Hopefully I get better responses here than on FB. :lmao:

soze 03-19-2020 11:03 AM

Interested as well. I haven't tried these tires yet.

Joshs4x4toyz 03-19-2020 11:18 AM

I prefer the OG, I have a few sets (but no OG in gold). The X4 has taken too much to modify and get where i want in the NW (usually wet smooth rock). The OG flat hooks up with just some CI foams. the x4 is just too tight, and the carcass is THICK. I still use them on 1.9 U4 and they sure are happy there no doubt. All i put in them for that is stock vs410 foams (has stiff feeling like a closed). Id go OG reds for a dedicated crawler/trail rig if wet regions. If you were to live where its hot and lots of traction, maybe golds if you worried about wear. My silvers were bought for U4 anyway and they are tough for sure but great traction in the loose stuff.

All that said....... I still REALLY like PL tires, weird how when they get wet they get tackier both g8 and predator.... "thumbsup"

JatoTheRipper 03-19-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz (Post 6005662)
I prefer the OG, I have a few sets (but no OG in gold). The X4 has taken too much to modify and get where i want in the NW (usually wet smooth rock). The OG flat hooks up with just some CI foams. the x4 is just too tight, and the carcass is THICK. I still use them on 1.9 U4 and they sure are happy there no doubt. All i put in them for that is stock vs410 foams (has stiff feeling like a closed). Id go OG reds for a dedicated crawler/trail rig if wet regions. If you were to live where its hot and lots of traction, maybe golds if you worried about wear. My silvers were bought for U4 anyway and they are tough for sure but great traction in the loose stuff.

All that said....... I still REALLY like PL tires, weird how when they get wet they get tackier both g8 and predator.... "thumbsup"

Oh if the X4's are stiff they are out! The KLR silvers are already too stiff.

Proline tires are my favorite, but I want to give something else a shot. All I tend to use anymore is Proline and Pitbull.

svt923 03-19-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6005666)
Oh if the X4's are stiff they are out! The KLR silvers are already too stiff.

Proline tires are my favorite, but I want to give something else a shot. All I tend to use anymore is Proline and Pitbull.

Yeah, X4s are hella stiff and heavy. Between the thick carcass and inner ribbing, you could run no foam on a 8 lb truck and the sidewalls wouldn't fold over.

JatoTheRipper 03-19-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 6005670)
Yeah, X4s are hella stiff and heavy. Between the thick carcass and inner ribbing, you could run no foam on a 8 lb truck and the sidewalls wouldn't fold over.

So then I guess the question is gold or red? :ror:

Yeti.stealth 03-20-2020 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have tried the X4 in red compound, tyres are very stiff, heavy sidewalls, but fold over on side hills and tight turns with soft foams. Currently running closed cell foam with a decent air gap, they don’t fold over much now and even with a big air gap to the foam still don’t flex or squish much. Compared to other tyres I have they are on par in most places, just meh in others.... always thought about sanding the heavy internal ribbing off the inside of the sidewalls. The red seemed to wear pretty quickly too.

Attachment 387830

Attachment 387831

durok 03-20-2020 07:19 PM

I still think you wear out tires like no one else, my friend... awesome pics of destroyed rubber!

JatoTheRipper 03-21-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth (Post 6006055)
I have tried the X4 in red compound, tyres are very stiff, heavy sidewalls, but fold over on side hills and tight turns with soft foams. Currently running closed cell foam with a decent air gap, they don’t fold over much now and even with a big air gap to the foam still don’t flex or squish much. Compared to other tyres I have they are on par in most places, just meh in others.... always thought about sanding the heavy internal ribbing off the inside of the sidewalls. The red seemed to wear pretty quickly too.

Yeah it sounds like the X4's aren't for me which is a shame. I kinda like the tall and skinny look now.

Holy cow you wear out tires! I get bored with a tire before wearing them out. :ror: I also must not crawl enough, but the rocks here on the East Coast aren't as abrasive as in some other areas either.

I'm OK with fast wearing tires if they work. But the red appear to kind of "chunk" like RC4WD tires which I can't stand.

drneptune 03-24-2020 09:49 AM

I've been running the X4's in the red compound under a 7.8# rig. With the voodoo 2 stage foams the front tires had way, way too much squirm/roll under load and while side-hilling. With narrowed C.I. lil' novas they seem to be at the right balance now. BILLYGOAT was my lead on the x4's. He runs pro-line 2 stage front and pitbull rears. He chimed in about them on the fb vs410 page last week.
I did have the o.g. KLR's on a previous rig. I thought they worked well, but the height and footprint of the X4's works better for the crawling I like.

JatoTheRipper 03-27-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drneptune (Post 6007093)
I've been running the X4's in the red compound under a 7.8# rig. With the voodoo 2 stage foams the front tires had way, way too much squirm/roll under load and while side-hilling. With narrowed C.I. lil' novas they seem to be at the right balance now. BILLYGOAT was my lead on the x4's. He runs pro-line 2 stage front and pitbull rears. He chimed in about them on the fb vs410 page last week.
I did have the o.g. KLR's on a previous rig. I thought they worked well, but the height and footprint of the X4's works better for the crawling I like.

Thanks for the feed back.

I was waiting for KLR/m's to come back in stock so I could order those and KLRs at the same time. Well the m's came in today and I got those in Red, but that was sold out in KLR's so I got those in Gold. That company needs to step up the supply chain.

Now I'll have to figure out which foams to stuff them with.

smog 03-27-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth (Post 6006055)
Currently running closed cell foam with a decent air gap, they don’t fold over much now.

H]

I have a set of these oTTSIX kicking around.Been considering trying the CI mAD Beast single stage in them. Is this your foam? I have been sensing these tires should be on a heavy or quicker rig. I really like the size and tread.

Yeti.stealth 03-28-2020 12:30 AM

I think they are just the closed cell inner foam from a set of CI dual stage foams, that I had used in the Vaterra ascender stock tyres. Maybe the Pitbull rockbeast size ones.

Edit. Link below to my thread. Looks like the CI foams are XL size, probably the inners from a set of TSL XL foams

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...ml#post5898673

JatoTheRipper 04-03-2020 06:54 AM

I got my KLR golds this week and the KLR/m reds. It's odd, but the gold seems stickier than the reds which I wasn't expecting. Also, the gold has very soft tread and I'm kinda glad I didn't get those in red. That's just by feel of hand and not any real world use.

Anyway, now I need foams. The KLRs will be going on my VS4-10 Pro to start. CI now has a handy "Foam Calculator" on their site. They don't have a choice for a 4.7" tall tire. The 4.75" CI Lil' Novas seem way too large at 4.85" OD.
The 4.5" foams are still 4.75" OD. So I got with the foams for the 4.5" tires (4.75" OD) or downsize to the 4.25" tires (still 4.75" OD, but a smaller, closed cell inner) or just move to an undersized single, closed cell foam. Thoughts?

drneptune 04-03-2020 10:29 AM

4.5's were still too much for the X4, I settled on 4.25 cc inners. Soft outers front and medium rear.

JatoTheRipper 04-03-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drneptune (Post 6010292)
4.5's were still too much for the X4, I settled on 4.25 cc inners. Soft outers front and medium rear.

X4's are slightly taller and stiffer than KLR's from what I'm told. Can you verify that?

Also, just so I'm clear, can you give me the part numbers you're talking about?

drneptune 04-07-2020 08:19 AM

Ok, Jato. So, in my o.g. KLR 1.9/4.70/1.70 (SKU: 19KLR-R) I ran C.I. lil' nova dual stage foams with comp cut inners and soft front/med rear outers (CWR-2024 and CWR-2025) They come with a "tuning ring" that is a 3rd layer of foam (not to be confused with the "tuning discs"), I didn't use that on the smaller tire. On the KLR X4 1.9/4.75/1.4 (SKU: ott-klr-x4r), I use C.I. lil' nova dual stage foams with comp cut inners and soft front/med rear outers with the "tuning rings" (CWR-2014 and CWR-2015) that I narrowed with a bread knife and followed with a dremel. I tried the same approach with the X4 & the 4.5 inner first and I thought it filled up too much of the tire.
The red compound is the same on both. The X4 does feel like it has more sidewall support (than the o.g.), though as it's focused down at the bead are I don't think it's all that effective. It was definitely not supportive enough to run the 2 stage (open cell) foams from Voodoo that were recommended for them.
Both sets of tires are prone to wear, but that's to be expected with the soft compound. The short set had six months on them before they got put through the paces at Axialfest last year and still emerged from that as usable tires, albeit maybe reversed now.

JatoTheRipper 04-09-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drneptune (Post 6011371)
Ok, Jato. So, in my o.g. KLR 1.9/4.70/1.70 (SKU: 19KLR-R) I ran C.I. lil' nova dual stage foams with comp cut inners and soft front/med rear outers (CWR-2024 and CWR-2025) They come with a "tuning ring" that is a 3rd layer of foam (not to be confused with the "tuning discs"), I didn't use that on the smaller tire. On the KLR X4 1.9/4.75/1.4 (SKU: ott-klr-x4r), I use C.I. lil' nova dual stage foams with comp cut inners and soft front/med rear outers with the "tuning rings" (CWR-2014 and CWR-2015) that I narrowed with a bread knife and followed with a dremel. I tried the same approach with the X4 & the 4.5 inner first and I thought it filled up too much of the tire.
The red compound is the same on both. The X4 does feel like it has more sidewall support (than the o.g.), though as it's focused down at the bead are I don't think it's all that effective. It was definitely not supportive enough to run the 2 stage (open cell) foams from Voodoo that were recommended for them.
Both sets of tires are prone to wear, but that's to be expected with the soft compound. The short set had six months on them before they got put through the paces at Axialfest last year and still emerged from that as usable tires, albeit maybe reversed now.

Thank you for the input!