Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Foam and Tire mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Default Foam and Tire mounting

So I've done some searching and I didn't really come up with a solid answer so hopefully someone sees this that has a better idea than me.

A little bit of back story.
I'm pretty new to this whole crawling thing but it's the only type of RC that excites me so I'm diving in hard. I have a TRX4 long wheel base that I purchased years ago right before the bronco came out. Anyways I put it all down for years cause life happened. I'm now rolling back into it but with basic questions.

I recently purchased a long arm lift kit and short wheel base conversion kit so I have more options to hard bodies, and the lift kit I've seen a mod to make it a long travel kit, basically all this so I can use 2.2's. I just got one of my shipments in to start the build.

The Parts in question:
-Pitbull Dos Piezas 2.2 Kompilation Foam
-Pitbull Rock Beast XOR tires.
-SSD RC 2.2 D Hole Beadlock Wheels

First off because I'm a total noooooob are all of these parts going to work together? Secondly and most importantly how are you guys mounting the foam to the tire? I have heard some people are using glue, some using double sided tape, some not using anything. Some people are drilling a small vent hole in the wheel and through all the foam, some are cutting tires. Also This vehicle is going to be more of a trail truck then a rock crawler however I'd like to do both, yeah I know jack of all master of none but it's for fun not serious stuff. The truck will probably become submerged in water up to the chassis so if venting is needed I can promise they will probably fill with water.

Honestly there's so much mixed information out there for someone who is a beginner like myself. I really don't know where to start, and products like these listed aren't cheap to start throwing glue around and cutting on things to find out you goofed now you have to re purchase everything.

Please help .
tscastello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Foam and Tire mounting

First, Welcome to RCC!

I'm guessing you spend a lot of time on fakebook RC groups. I have gotten to the point that I don't even bother reading that misinformation. Everyone there has advice regardless of whether they have any experience or not.

First the foams are stuffed into the tire not glued in and some people have had issues with the foam slipping side to side on certain wheels and will use double sided tape to stick the foam to the wheel. Vented vs non-vented tires is an entire topic of it's own here. Search for venting wheels and get ready to spend some time reading.

Many feel 2.2 tires are too tall and the TRX4 lift kit raises the CG too much to make an enjoyable trail/crawler truck to drive. What you will end up with is a truck that tips over easily and that gets old fast. There is such a thing as too much lift and too much flex so just beware. A lot of people started out installing a lift kit and 2.2 tires and most of them have since gone back to 1.9 tires and stock lift in a pretty short period of time. The current trend is to lower the truck CG as much as possible by raising the upper shock mounts and/or lowering the bottom shock mounts so you can still keep full suspension travel without raising the chassis.

I recommend you spend some time reading threads here on RCC related to your questions. RCC is a great source of reliable information if you take the time to do some background reading.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, don't go 2.2's unless you're running a rig like the Wraith, Bomber, GOM, etc. 2.2's are just too big for these scale trail trucks.

I just stuff the foams in. I wouldn't recommend gluing them. There's a lot of tuning involved with these rigs as far as tires/foams go. Gluing them would make it rather "permanent".

And yes, lower is better for stability. So lifting wouldn't be ideal.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the much needed clarification!
tscastello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Pfffft run em!

While technically 1.9, they are 2.2 sized! (boggers)

Imo trail trucks can get away with bigger tires, due to not having to worry about points.

2.2's also run over terrain much easier, and give you much more diff clearance, though not really a problem with a portal rig.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have a trail rig that I've just set up for wet runs, water proofed and tires are not vented. No matter how hard I tried to get the water out of the foams it would always leak a bit more on the bench when I got home.

A leather punch is a nice way to make a hole. A drill bit doesn't really remove alot of material, it makes a hole then the rubber stretches around it. I would not reccomend using a knife. I did that before and had a tire rip about a 1.5 inches long from the area I cut.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

FWIW...to make a vent hole in tire, I used a short length of 1/8" brass tube chucked in a drill. Using a file, I tapered the end to a sharp, knife-like, round edge. Then use it like a drill bit drilling into the tire. I did two spaced at 180-degrees apart. The rubber 'drilled out' of the tire remains inside the brass tube, leaving a nice, clean hole. Quick, easy, cheap.
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I found it quite difficult to put Pitbull Dos Piezas in XOR on SSD wheels.
The foams are wide, so prepare to fight the foam so that it doesn't get stuck between the bead and the wheel.
My suggestion: make venting holes with leather punch. Don't glue the foam. It's so wide that it won't slip to either side.
But it's a fantastic combination when assembled!

(But I think that 2.2 setup will make the truck a bit Monster truck-ish.. the tires are pretty wide/big)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 04-13-2020 at 06:16 AM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Pfffft run em!

While technically 1.9, they are 2.2 sized! (boggers)

Imo trail trucks can get away with bigger tires, due to not having to worry about points.

2.2's also run over terrain much easier, and give you much more diff clearance, though not really a problem with a portal rig.

I agree! Run em!! Granted it's been a long time since I've ran 2.2s but I never really had a problem with tipping and I was running the 1.9 (basically 2.2s like mentioned) for a while before I shortened them only to make them clear a certain body. To me, if I'm doing more trailing than crawling, I see no problem. Better ground clearance for the trails and on top of that, itll make you stop and think about what line to take when you are crawling thus making it more of a challenge. After all to me, it wouldnt be as much fun crawling if I was able to just walk through anything. I like the challenge! Definitely dont glue the foams. Like said earlier, venting is a huge topic. I found that out when I first started a few years ago and on top of that it completely overwhelmed me haha. But I've only ever had to vent 1 set of tires and that was the proline krawlers in predator compound. All my other tires dont stay deformed after wrinkling over from pulling me through an obstacle and it was on the same set of wheels that I've used 5 other different tires on so not sure why I had to vent those.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Foam and Tire mounting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire/Foam recommendations needed. Mounting issues. Jer Tires and Wheels 4 04-09-2020 01:42 PM
Tire foam? golokobori7672 Newbie General 10 01-26-2020 08:46 AM
Deuce's Wild XL Foam Pair; 3.8" ID; Yeti XL Foam / BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 12 08-31-2015 08:20 AM
Mounting Chisels With Memory Foam On VP SLW V3's Dini Tires and Wheels 12 07-10-2012 03:03 AM
Tire foam? Why? HiloDB1 Hawaii 6 05-22-2008 01:15 AM