Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: New Hyrax or Something Different???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New Hyrax or Something Different???

Hey guys, I've been running 4.75 G8 Hyrax on my 8lb3oz Trx-4 for the past two years and they're getting a bit worn. So I think it's time for some new rubber. My question is should I go with something different? Is there a better tire? KLR? BF Krawler? Ruptures? Rock beast? Deep woods? I run mostly on Florida field stone (ancient Coral reef) , roots, sand and clay. The Hyrax have definitely pulled their weight. Just didn't know what others would be comparable. I ask allot from my rigs and like them to be capable. Scale look isn't important to me. I know allot of it is opinion, but I wanna know your thoughts. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Hyrax or Something Different???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Hey guys, I've been running 4.75 G8 Hyrax on my 8lb3oz Trx-4 for the past two years and they're getting a bit worn. So I think it's time for some new rubber. My question is should I go with something different? Is there a better tire? KLR? BF Krawler? Ruptures? Rock beast? Deep woods? I run mostly on Florida field stone (ancient Coral reef) , roots, sand and clay. The Hyrax have definitely pulled their weight. Just didn't know what others would be comparable. I ask allot from my rigs and like them to be capable. Scale look isn't important to me. I know allot of it is opinion, but I wanna know your thoughts. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help!
Hey Justin, having been on your rocks, I know how abrasive that coral is. For sure don't go with the softest compound you can find!!! I like my KLRs and BF Krawlers. Let me see what I have in my tire stash. Even if the little harder compound doesn't crawl as good as you Hyrax compound (I don't remember what those were) you can save a softer compound for your comp crawling and the other for practice/play!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #3

Are your Hyrax G8 or Predator compound? G8 is some of the best performing and longest lasting rubber you'll find. Going any harder and you're going to lose a significant amount of performance.

You could also try Pitbull Komp Kompound. It's older than their new Alien Kompound, but still very good.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Justin, having been on your rocks, I know how abrasive that coral is. For sure don't go with the softest compound you can find!!! I like my KLRs and BF Krawlers. Let me see what I have in my tire stash. Even if the little harder compound doesn't crawl as good as you Hyrax compound (I don't remember what those were) you can save a softer compound for your comp crawling and the other for practice/play!
Ernie
My backyard course needs some more CODYBOY wheel time! I know better then to get a super soft compound for sure. The rock here is way too aggressive and they'd be shredded quick. I definitely appreciate it Ernie, but don't deplete your tire stash for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are your Hyrax G8 or Predator compound? G8 is some of the best performing and longest lasting rubber you'll find. Going any harder and you're going to lose a significant amount of performance.

You could also try Pitbull Komp Kompound. It's older than their new Alien Kompound, but still very good.
I'm pretty sure they're the G8 compound. I will double check when I get home. I absolutely love my hyrax and after seeing my buddy's brand new ones a month or so ago. I realized mine are missing allot of tread. I don't think I want a harder tire. Just wasn't sure if there was a better performing tire that I should try.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My backyard course needs some more CODYBOY wheel time! I know better then to get a super soft compound for sure. The rock here is way too aggressive and they'd be shredded quick. I definitely appreciate it Ernie, but don't deplete your tire stash for me.

I'm pretty sure they're the G8 compound. I will double check when I get home. I absolutely love my hyrax and after seeing my buddy's brand new ones a month or so ago. I realized mine are missing allot of tread. I don't think I want a harder tire. Just wasn't sure if there was a better performing tire that I should try.
I'm pretty sure when I bought those that the predator wasn't out yet so they should be G8.
Ernie
Old 04-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Proline makes a lot of designs in the g8. I've been happy with the tsl super swampers post pictures of the hyrax
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I'm pretty sure when I bought those that the predator wasn't out yet so they should be G8.
Ernie

You are correct sir! They are PL 10128 G8 compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
Proline makes a lot of designs in the g8. I've been happy with the tsl super swampers post pictures of the hyrax
I had a set of the tsl. They just didn't hook like I would like them to. I ended up trading them for my cage to get welded on the Trx. Here's a couple tire pics.

Not too bad for 2 years of use.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #8

I think the Hyrax tread lends itself to being more fragile and wearing easier. Have you tried other tread patterns in G8?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If your coral is anything like I run at CDM, then you can try the G8 BFG Krawlers. They work great at CDM and actually still work really well when worn down.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

hmm those dont seem too worn down, nothing like what Yeti.Stealth does to his lol

I really like the Proline Krawler T/A's, the lugs are large and even when worn keep working good if not getting better. those should have a long life.

If you are okay venturing outside of the G8 compound the RC4WD MT/R's are another favorite of mine. They seem to wear similar to the G8 but I haven't run these for too long.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
hmm those dont seem too worn down, nothing like what Yeti.Stealth does to his lol
That's a really good point. After reading your post I looked back at the photo of the Hyrax tires above. They look almost new.

The RC4WD MT/R tires, which look awesome, are in the new X2Sł Compound and I haven't run mine more than a time or two so I also don't have enough experience to speak on this compound. But I personally have had the opposite luck with the older RC4WD compounds. They seem to wear the fastest, and worse, the rubber chunks off.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I agree not too bad worn on that set but I didn't love the hyrax in mud. And ice was worse. I love it on rock. Look at the krawler and the bfg offering from proline. Seems like the g8 has held up for ya. Any reason you want to change compound? Have you washed those with simple green to get the dust off? Try to clean them up and get fresh rubber to rock
Old 04-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Speaking of g8 Tsl's and Rc4wd Mtr's, I am finding the Mtr's wearing about 2x faster than Proline compound. Not horrible,but definately faster. I will snap some pictures tomorrow before work.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ive been running the stock trx4 tires on mine and they do great, cutting them really helps. My next tire will be the rock beast 4.75 with Ci foams. The Duratrax Showdown CR tires are a really good budget tire, there comparable to the stock tires in my personal opinion. Cant wait to go crawling with you again.
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
RCC Addict

So far the G8 compound is holding up really good. My hyrax are still crawling good. No complaints with them at all. Just didn't know if there was something better. Can someone post a link to the pics of yeti.stealth's slick hyrax? The only other tire I have that stays with them are my cut growlers on the Dingo. Not sure what compound they are but they are holding up good and they crawl just as good and clean out better then the hyrax. I'm going to give the simple green trick a try this weekend. Haven't done it before. When you do that doesn't the dirt and stuff stick to them and make them right back like they were? My cut canyon trails do really good but they don't keep up with the hyrax or cut growlers. Definitely gotta go crawling again once they open the parks and stuff back up. Thank you guys for all your help and comments.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

A few examples of Florida field stone. It's some aggressive stuff!

Old 04-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
If your coral is anything like I run at CDM, then you can try the G8 BFG Krawlers. They work great at CDM and actually still work really well when worn down.
Hey soze, I ran on Justin rocks when we were on our Cross Country last year and also at Corona Del Mar early this year. My thoughts are, running on CDM's Coral, Rock, and sandstone is like running granite compared to Justin's back yard course. If you fall on that stuff you come out bleeding!!! But it is still loads fun Justin!! And my day at CDR was one of the nicer crawling experience I've had since PLBTF last year!!
Ernie
Old 04-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I think straight water and the sun does well for the Proline g8 after they dry they are sticky til they get dusty again. It's a process after every trip
Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Can someone post a link to the pics of yeti.stealth's slick hyrax?

I'm going to give the simple green trick a try this weekend. Haven't done it before. When you do that doesn't the dirt and stuff stick to them and make them right back like they were?

They aren't hyrax but its impressive how much he can wear down tires.

You can see some of his tires in this post: KLR and KLR-X4 Tires

If you soak the tires in simple green rinse them off afterwards, you dont want to leave it on.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-17-2020 at 05:09 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

New Hyrax or Something Different??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounted hyrax Frank211 Tires and Wheels 0 09-25-2018 12:30 PM
Bad 1.9 Hyrax? Oldgreg Tires and Wheels 15 03-24-2017 12:26 PM