Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tires Suggestions - Trail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tires Suggestions - Trail

Hello,

I've got pitbull rock beast 1.9 Komp kompound on 1 rig and they're a great rock climbing tire but they are soft and squishy, I'm thinking about getting some more durable tires for general trail driving. I can see that they are starting to wear/tear with about 30-40 lipos through them.

I also have a set of BFG K02 (axial) for my wife's rig which works for trail but terrible for rock climbing (too stiff and tall on the wheel walls) which i've tried softening up with simple green but... in general not a fan although... i only have experience with these 2 types of tires so... i don't have much to compare it to (been racing for years but... new to rock crawling).

I'd like to stay 1.9 size but... what do you guys suggest given my limited experience above?

More durable than rock beast but.. better than k02-axial?

food2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tires Suggestions - Trail

My go to do everything tire is Proline Tsl's in g8 compound.

The tread pattern works everywhere well,(Mud rock sand snow) But are out shined by specific tires in specific conditions. (rock beasts on pure clean rock)

Imo it is the most diverse tire out there and very durable....

8 years on this set shown on my new build for my Nephew... these are5.4" 2.2's.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Another vote for the Proline Super Swamper. It's available in G8 for trailing or Predator compound for soft & sticky. Comes as 4.3" tall (SX) or 4.75" tall (XL).

It's basically the only tire because I'm a stickler for scale/licensed tires and this is the best one I've found that fits that bill.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Like lonelycreeper said, Proline G8 performs yet it is super long lasting. Proline tires are a bargain price too IMO.

If you want cheap checkout Duratrax tires. I'm not sure they're going to wear too much longer though. Somebody that owns them would have to speak on that.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My Louise CR Champs (Duratrax Deep Woods) have been over everything this past year and only starting to show slight wear now. My rig is light though and I’m still running the stock foams with no real problems. They will need decent foams to support the side walls if its going on any type of ‘stock’ rig. They almost climb up with TSL’s too. Almost. And they look like a scale tire:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
My Louise CR Champs (Duratrax Deep Woods) have been over everything this past year and only starting to show slight wear now. My rig is light though and I’m still running the stock foams with no real problems. They will need decent foams to support the side walls if its going on any type of ‘stock’ rig. They almost climb up with TSL’s too.
another vote for the Duratrax/Louise tires My Champs 1.9 holding up well....I run them with supersoft A.L.T.foams.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tire suggestions, i think.. i'm looking at the DuraTrax Deep Woods CR 1.9" Crawler Tires (2) (C3 - Super Soft) - amain mostly for the scaled look

Any other suggestions for foam?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Can’t go wrong with the proline tsl. Another vote for those. I have them in g8 and predator. The g8 wears better but the predator is like glue
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by food2000 View Post
Any other suggestions for foam?
imo, there's only 2 ways to do foams.

1) Crawler innovation dual stage (or Proline). closed cell inner, open cell outer, best foams I've ever used. Probably the biggest single performance upgrade I've ever put on a rig. Vent the tire in the tread face so you can fling most water out and these foams will last a long time (I currently have one set that's in it's 3rd season of use). Doing this will cost more money but performance will be better and longevity will be good.

2) Cheap-ass stock foams. Open cell, 1-piece. Still vent the the tires on the tread face but if you're running in water much expect the foams to be trashed in a single season. This will be the cheapest option, performance will be ok and longevity will be poor.

What you'll notice that is consistent in what I've said is venting. You'll get people telling you not to vent your tires and I'll let them explain the benefits they perceive in that scenario. But in my experience you must have venting to allow the tire to conform to the terrain. Unvented tries can tend to be bouncy and stiff, like they're over-inflated. Some people vent through the rim but I strongly feel that the the tread face is better option (and seal rim holes if there is any) because of the fact that you can fling most of the water out just using wheel speed. Leaving your foams wet radically accelerates their demise so the best way to extend their life is by drying them as much as you can.

*I'm assuming that you play in water, I've never met anyone that can actually resist (many say they'll resist..) the pull of a creek, stream, puddle or pond. If you NEVER get wet, in that case you can vent your rims if don't want to vent the tire.

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 04-24-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
imo, there's only 2 ways to do foams.

1) Crawler innovation dual stage (or Proline). closed cell inner, open cell outer, best foams I've ever used. Probably the biggest single performance upgrade I've ever put on a rig. Vent the tire in the tread face so you can fling most water out and these foams will last a long time (I currently have one set that's in it's 3rd season of use). Doing this will cost more money but performance will be better and longevity will be good.

2) Cheap-ass stock foams. Open cell, 1-piece. Still vent the the tires on the tread face but if you're running in water much expect the foams to be trashed in a single season. This will be the cheapest option, performance will be ok and longevity will be poor.

What you'll notice that is consistent in what I've said is venting. You'll get people telling you not to vent your tires and I'll let them explain the benefits they perceive in that scenario. But in my experience you must have venting to allow the tire to conform to the terrain. Unvented tries can tend to be bouncy and stiff, like they're over-inflated. Some people vent through the rim but I strongly feel that the the tread face is better option (and seal rim holes if there is any) because of the fact that you can fling most of the water out just using wheel speed. Leaving your foams wet radically accelerates their demise so the best way to extend their life is by drying them as much as you can.

*I'm assuming that you play in water, I've never met anyone that can actually resist (many say they'll resist..) the pull of a creek, stream, puddle or pond. If you NEVER get wet, in that case you can vent your rims if don't want to vent the tire.

Good tips and i'll make sure to vent the tires on the thread so the water can escape.

As far as drying the foam... are the holes alone enough to dry them after going in water?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

If you like the tires, why change them. As advised above, just get some firmer foams and run them. The wear and tear will happen with any good compound tire, it is simply just breaking in.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
If you like the tires, why change them. As advised above, just get some firmer foams and run them. The wear and tear will happen with any good compound tire, it is simply just breaking in.

Yeah, a part of me wants to mess with a different performing tire but also let the wife run better tires than the RTR from axial (k02).
Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I’m really impressed with the proline km3 and proline foams on my trail trucks. I run them on a brushless G8 with a heavy interior and a heavy scx10 ii with lots of metal, a spare tire and interior. One thing that I’m impressed with is the give of the tire and foam on a bad landing. I feel something about the combination allows bad landings over bumps without flipping. My Ottsix flip easily.

In sum, I’m saying that a 2 stage foam with the right shape tire seems to be my ticket for a trail truck. Plus they are scale and look awesome if you use a paint pen to fill in the lettering. They also don’t clog with mud in my area which I can’t explain given the somewhat tight tread pattern.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Don’t judge the weathering. This is an in process look. No interior either. The paint has stayed on the tires though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #15

Proline foams are very good as CI in my experience. The problem is Proline offers one size and one stiffness. CI has more options.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by food2000 View Post
Good tips and i'll make sure to vent the tires on the thread so the water can escape.

As far as drying the foam... are the holes alone enough to dry them after going in water?
Will it dry them 100%? No.

But as long you give the wheels a good spin it will dry them enough to keep your foams in good condition. I've been using the same set of CI foams for 2 full seasons and I'm still using them this season.

Tires Suggestions - Trail - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/10 Scale Trail Truck Suggestions Please Mongol Pete Newbie General 40 06-07-2018 10:45 AM
suggestions for good trail motor gkosterscx10 Axial SCX-10 42 01-03-2014 06:18 AM
Dirt/Mud Trail tire? Suggestions? Oldskoolcj Tires and Wheels 23 03-25-2013 05:51 PM
I'm looking to build a TLT Trail Rig, need some suggestions! FFRCJosh Newbie General 2 02-07-2006 06:37 AM