RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Removing Anodizing (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/617803-removing-anodizing.html)

67CamaroSS 04-30-2020 04:37 PM

Removing Anodizing

I had a set of wheels with some blue beadlock rings. I did not like the blue and wanted them all polished aluminum.

Thanks to YouTube, a quick 10 minute dip in Easy-Off Oven Cleaner took the color right off. After some simple metal polishing, the rings came out great and I like the wheels much more.

I can't post pictures here yet, but pm me if you want to see the before and after.

MaX-D 04-30-2020 04:41 PM

Re: Removing Anodizing

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67CamaroSS (Post 6018594)
I had a set of wheels with some blue beadlock rings. I did not like the blue and wanted them all polished aluminum.

Thanks to YouTube, a quick 10 minute dip in Easy-Off Oven Cleaner took the color right off. After some simple metal polishing, the rings came out great and I like the wheels much more.

I can't post pictures here yet, but pm me if you want to see the before and after.

Using Easy-Off is exactly what I do for anything that I get that is colored. If you're using your smartphone to take pictures, download the Tapatalk app , and you can upload pictures directly from your phone without the need of a third party picture app.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

kincer 04-30-2020 04:46 PM

I've tried both easyoff and purple power and I've had better luck with purple power or any of those purple cleaners, Castrol Super clean etc. I just soak in a container for a few minutes, brush with a course nylon brush, resoak and repeat. "thumbsup"

spoo76 04-30-2020 05:31 PM

Greased lightning degreaser worked great for me with no toxic smell and it's cheap. I just let it soak in a tub. Once in a blue moon I'd agitate it. I honestly don't remember how long I let it soak, but it wiped right off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MaX-D 04-30-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoo76 (Post 6018604)
Greased lightning degreaser worked great for me with no toxic smell and it's cheap. I just let it soak in a tub. Once in a blue moon I'd agitate it. I honestly don't remember how long I let it soak, but it wiped right off.

I had no idea that greased lightning or purple Power would work on this. Had I known that, I would have used that instead. The smell of the Easy-Off is just horrible. I always used a respirator with that stuff

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

spoo76 04-30-2020 06:02 PM

I believe I first heard about it in RC car action magazine before RCcrawler was a thing. The first time I tried it was on my Tmax back in the day

kincer 04-30-2020 06:13 PM

Greased lightning probably has a shared ingredient with purple power and others because it came off really easy with the purple power too. I also use it to remove the chrome plating on plastic parts.

67CamaroSS 04-30-2020 06:16 PM

Anyone have pics? I’d like to see if the different solutions have different effects on the aluminum.

kincer 04-30-2020 06:28 PM

Here's my marlin rims with rings deanodized and red anodized. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...872228b762.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 04-30-2020 06:29 PM

I tried removing anodizing on an older part and it was the worst. It starting eating away at the aluminum and all of the anodizing still wasn't off.

67CamaroSS 04-30-2020 07:01 PM

What did you use?

toy4crawlin 05-12-2020 10:07 PM

Best results, keep and eye on smaller parts or cheaply done anodize by pulling your parts out every 2min after an initial 5minutes .
When I say cheaply made , this some copy made part from overseas. A well made part with strong anodize would be traxxas Emaxx shocks or alike

Good results : 1. purple power,
2. Greased lightning ( this stuff if not follow directions will eat the clear coat off your auto wheels.
. 3. Yellow top Oven Cleaner . (not blue top)

For my Traxxas Emaxx shocks it took 18 minutes of Yellow top Easy Off oven cleaner. Used a tooth brush to