Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire Compound Based on Vehicle Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tire Compound Based on Vehicle Weight

Have a question for y’all.

My young son and I are building an Enduro kit. As of now, I expect the finished weight of the truck to be between 6-7 pounds. Based on where we live (Norhteast Ohio) and the fact it’s been raining a lot lately and the trails are constantly wet, we were thinking of either Pro-Line Hyrax or Super Swampers XL tires.

The question is about tire compound—Predator or G8? I’m thinking Predator because the P-L tire chart says it’s better for wet terrains and lower temps (it’s between 50-60 degrees F most days right now). But then I began wondering at what point (or vehicle weight) do you want to use a stiffer compound to support the truck. For reference, we’re also using CI 4.5 inch foams with standard inners and soft front/medium rear compounds.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #2

Default Re: Tire Compound Based on Vehicle Weight

I also live in the Northeast and I ran Predator Hyrax side by side with G8 Hyrax. The Predator compound is definitely better on wet rocks. Everywhere else they're pretty comparable. I like Predator. Obviously, they aren't going to last as long as the G8.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I also live in the Northeast and I ran Predator Hyrax side by side with G8 Hyrax. The Predator compound is definitely better on wet rocks. Everywhere else they're pretty comparable. I like Predator. Obviously, they aren't going to last as long as the G8.
Thanks for the info. I’m not too worried about how long they last. It’s not like I’m driving to work on them . But seriously, I don’t run my trucks as often as I’d like so tires, even the ones with very soft compounds, last me a long time.

I just didn’t know if a 5 lb. and a 10 lb. or heavier truck could work equally well with the same compound tire. In theory, I would think that maybe heavier vehicles would benefit from tires with a stiffer compound. Like, maybe the carcass wouldn’t compress too far like possibly with a softer tire, if that makes sense. But I don’t know.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
Thanks for the info. I’m not too worried about how long they last. It’s not like I’m driving to work on them . But seriously, I don’t run my trucks as often as I’d like so tires, even the ones with very soft compounds, last me a long time.

I just didn’t know if a 5 lb. and a 10 lb. or heavier truck could work equally well with the same compound tire. In theory, I would think that maybe heavier vehicles would benefit from tires with a stiffer compound. Like, maybe the carcass wouldn’t compress too far like possibly with a softer tire, if that makes sense. But I don’t know.

Some guys think the Predator compound is too soft because the tread will sometimes fold back instead of remaining stiff and gripping the rocks. I've seen mostly guys on the west coast complaining about this. Hot weather and heavy rigs would amplify this. Also, their rocks are like sandpaper and they appear to have more grip than the smoother rocks we have here in the East coast. I haven't experiencing the tread folding with Predator. I have experienced it with RC4WD X2S3 compound MT/R tires.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ive never ran the preditor compound but i have the g8 and i realy like them the g8 is a good all around compound my 12lb rig hooked up on everything from wet glass to river polished granite to sandpaper like rock fron 20° to 110° and they ware well there actualy roting away and the tread is still in good bearly worn at all the only issue ive ever had is the sidwall tearing
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Based on your location I would say probably Predator. A lot of the east coast guys seem to like that compound better over there.

On the West Coast we prefer the G8 compound, even on lighter rigs. Mines 5.5 lbs.
VMGontheRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Tire width i also find to be more important than i had originally thought. Most of my rigs perform better with a fairly narrow tire on the rocks
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Foam selection is weight dependant. Tire compound selection is temperature dependant.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tire Compound Based on Vehicle Weight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire compound moron88 Formula Offroad 2 08-12-2011 02:55 AM
tires and vehicle weight chevy4life Idaho 9 03-05-2009 02:49 PM
Softening the tire compound KingGee Tires and Wheels 20 12-25-2007 03:00 PM
Tire compound Reflection Tires and Wheels 16 12-28-2006 11:21 PM