RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Pin drive hubs? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/618067-pin-drive-hubs.html)

BigSki 05-08-2020 10:50 PM

Pin drive hubs?

I'm in the process of looking at new wheels for my 1/6 th scale Willys. My old wheel are the 1st generation RC4WD white steelies. They have a pin slot in the hub. I want to keep that, as I'm trying to keep the wheels tucked inside of the body of the Jerp as much as possible.

I could use some help with finding 2.2 beadlocks ( no visible beadlock rings) with as little offset as possible, AND a pin drive hub. I dont like flashy wheel designs, something basic like D holes or wagon wheels. ( It's a Willys Jeep, after all!)

Thanks for any suggestions."thumbsup"

58_Willys 05-09-2020 12:04 PM

Re: Pin drive hubs?

Since you're talking about your 1/6 scale Willys, you're probably looking for 2.2's? RC4WD wheels are your best bet for using the pin drive. The Wagon Wheels(white or black) and the Mickey Thompson MT-28, all share the same bolt pattern and can use the pin hubs. No exposed "bead lock" rings either. There is also a new even narrower pin hub. Vanquish has a nice looking Vintage wheel in black but I'm not sure of the bolt pattern compatibility. Maybe someone will chime in with that info. "thumbsup"

BigSki 05-09-2020 02:54 PM

Yes, 2.2's. I've seen the Chinquish Method wheels for cheap, they have a very small amount of backspacing so they could theoretically work, I'd basically need a very short wheel hub that is SLW bolt pattern but a pin drive. If it was in the shape of a brake rotor it'd be perfect! I found some integy hubs that could work, but they don't list any specs/dimensions. Just a vague description saying " works with 6 hole AX-10 wheel", plus- it's an integy product.

Thanks for suggesting the rc4wd steelies. I was looking at them on line, I'd just like to change things up a bit and since their hub bolt pattern doesn't fit on SLW style wheels, it's making it difficult to find something else. I like the look of internal beadlocks.

My biggest goal is for aesthetics- I want to keep as much of the tire as possible under the body. I know guys that run full width AR-60's under their jerps, and while those jeeps will absolutely out maneuver my jeep, I personally can't stand seeing the tires almost completely outside of the body. I'm just weird like that.:roll:

58_Willys 05-10-2020 09:50 AM

I'm weird like that too...with ya 100%. I learned to drive in a Willys Jeep and even took my drivers test in my '58 CJ-5...bone stock with "power nothing".

I'm into the stock look, as well. It's kinda cool to see the Willys body on an all out, modified crawler set up, but seeing an old Willys doing it on a stock set up, is so much more satisfying, imo. "thumbsup"

I found this you tube video, while browsing for GCM's channel. Doesn't help you on your search, but fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/o33SR4AyFtU

I believe the Vanquish rims I mentioned are of the SLW pattern.

BigSki 05-10-2020 12:37 PM

Thanks for the link, I've been watching those guys for a few years now. The older guy in 'Grand Pa's jeep' just cracks me up! He just don't care what he runs over.:lmao:

I'd love to run the VP Method 'D' hole wheels, just can't find a suitable pin drive hub to make them work.

BigSki 05-13-2020 08:49 PM

I actually figured out a combo that should work. I have the chinquish Method clones on the way. I remembered that the Yeti used a pin drive hub, so a bit of googling found a bunch of aluminum upgrade hubs. My logic is that since the chinbquish wheels can use a Valid VP hub, or their own knockoffs, the wheels are SLW compatiable.

The Yeti used licensed SLW style hubs ( although in injection molded plasteek) so any aftermarket replacement hub for a Yeti should work on the chinquish wheels.

ferp420 05-14-2020 06:36 AM

the spawn uses the pin style hub as well but the hex drive works so much better than the pin drive i cant tell you how many of those hubs ive striped out and i dont think there is any differance in offsets ether you can run just as narrow a hex hub as the pin drive hub with out the failure of the pin slot

BigSki 05-14-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6022221)
the spawn uses the pin style hub as well but the hex drive works so much better than the pin drive i cant tell you how many of those hubs ive striped out and i dont think there is any differance in offsets ether you can run just as narrow a hex hub as the pin drive hub with out the failure of the pin slot

Did you strip out aluminum pin drive hubs? I need to keep the wheels tucked in as close as possible, so that's been my push for the pin drive hubs. I see the interface with the hex hub/wheel being stronger, but the wheel hex is still getting the axle movement via a pin drive, so I don't see how the hex hub setup can be any stronger. I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the point of view. "thumbsup"

ferp420 05-14-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 6022420)
Did you strip out aluminum pin drive hubs? I need to keep the wheels tucked in as close as possible, so that's been my push for the pin drive hubs. I see the interface with the hex hub/wheel being stronger, but the wheel hex is still getting the axle movement via a pin drive, so I don't see how the hex hub setup can be any stronger. I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the point of view. "thumbsup"

ya the centers would strip out

there are differnt style of hexes some the pin goes down the middle and held in by a set screw there are clamping hexes to and if thats still not strong enuff they have steal hexes in different flavors

BigSki 05-16-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6022435)
ya the centers would strip out

there are differnt style of hexes some the pin goes down the middle and held in by a set screw there are clamping hexes to and if thats still not strong enuff they have steal hexes in different flavors

Thanks for your info ! I'm surprised to hear that the aluminum slots stripped out.

lonleycreeper 05-16-2020 11:00 PM

Wraith spawn comes with plastic rims, and plastic style pin hubs, in the slw pattern.

Vinnymuto 05-27-2020 06:12 PM

Hmm, you may find some in 4WheelOnline. They have good deals on them as well. Happy hunting!