Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pin drive hubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Pin drive hubs?

I'm in the process of looking at new wheels for my 1/6 th scale Willys. My old wheel are the 1st generation RC4WD white steelies. They have a pin slot in the hub. I want to keep that, as I'm trying to keep the wheels tucked inside of the body of the Jerp as much as possible.

I could use some help with finding 2.2 beadlocks ( no visible beadlock rings) with as little offset as possible, AND a pin drive hub. I dont like flashy wheel designs, something basic like D holes or wagon wheels. ( It's a Willys Jeep, after all!)

Thanks for any suggestions.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pin drive hubs?

Since you're talking about your 1/6 scale Willys, you're probably looking for 2.2's? RC4WD wheels are your best bet for using the pin drive. The Wagon Wheels(white or black) and the Mickey Thompson MT-28, all share the same bolt pattern and can use the pin hubs. No exposed "bead lock" rings either. There is also a new even narrower pin hub. Vanquish has a nice looking Vintage wheel in black but I'm not sure of the bolt pattern compatibility. Maybe someone will chime in with that info.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes, 2.2's. I've seen the Chinquish Method wheels for cheap, they have a very small amount of backspacing so they could theoretically work, I'd basically need a very short wheel hub that is SLW bolt pattern but a pin drive. If it was in the shape of a brake rotor it'd be perfect! I found some integy hubs that could work, but they don't list any specs/dimensions. Just a vague description saying " works with 6 hole AX-10 wheel", plus- it's an integy product.

Thanks for suggesting the rc4wd steelies. I was looking at them on line, I'd just like to change things up a bit and since their hub bolt pattern doesn't fit on SLW style wheels, it's making it difficult to find something else. I like the look of internal beadlocks.

My biggest goal is for aesthetics- I want to keep as much of the tire as possible under the body. I know guys that run full width AR-60's under their jerps, and while those jeeps will absolutely out maneuver my jeep, I personally can't stand seeing the tires almost completely outside of the body. I'm just weird like that.

Last edited by BigSki; 05-09-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm weird like that too...with ya 100%. I learned to drive in a Willys Jeep and even took my drivers test in my '58 CJ-5...bone stock with "power nothing".

I'm into the stock look, as well. It's kinda cool to see the Willys body on an all out, modified crawler set up, but seeing an old Willys doing it on a stock set up, is so much more satisfying, imo.

I found this you tube video, while browsing for GCM's channel. Doesn't help you on your search, but fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/o33SR4AyFtU

I believe the Vanquish rims I mentioned are of the SLW pattern.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the link, I've been watching those guys for a few years now. The older guy in 'Grand Pa's jeep' just cracks me up! He just don't care what he runs over.

I'd love to run the VP Method 'D' hole wheels, just can't find a suitable pin drive hub to make them work.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I actually figured out a combo that should work. I have the chinquish Method clones on the way. I remembered that the Yeti used a pin drive hub, so a bit of googling found a bunch of aluminum upgrade hubs. My logic is that since the chinbquish wheels can use a Valid VP hub, or their own knockoffs, the wheels are SLW compatiable.

The Yeti used licensed SLW style hubs ( although in injection molded plasteek) so any aftermarket replacement hub for a Yeti should work on the chinquish wheels.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

the spawn uses the pin style hub as well but the hex drive works so much better than the pin drive i cant tell you how many of those hubs ive striped out and i dont think there is any differance in offsets ether you can run just as narrow a hex hub as the pin drive hub with out the failure of the pin slot
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the spawn uses the pin style hub as well but the hex drive works so much better than the pin drive i cant tell you how many of those hubs ive striped out and i dont think there is any differance in offsets ether you can run just as narrow a hex hub as the pin drive hub with out the failure of the pin slot
Did you strip out aluminum pin drive hubs? I need to keep the wheels tucked in as close as possible, so that's been my push for the pin drive hubs. I see the interface with the hex hub/wheel being stronger, but the wheel hex is still getting the axle movement via a pin drive, so I don't see how the hex hub setup can be any stronger. I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the point of view.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Did you strip out aluminum pin drive hubs? I need to keep the wheels tucked in as close as possible, so that's been my push for the pin drive hubs. I see the interface with the hex hub/wheel being stronger, but the wheel hex is still getting the axle movement via a pin drive, so I don't see how the hex hub setup can be any stronger. I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to understand the point of view.
ya the centers would strip out

there are differnt style of hexes some the pin goes down the middle and held in by a set screw there are clamping hexes to and if thats still not strong enuff they have steal hexes in different flavors
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ya the centers would strip out

there are differnt style of hexes some the pin goes down the middle and held in by a set screw there are clamping hexes to and if thats still not strong enuff they have steal hexes in different flavors
Thanks for your info ! I'm surprised to hear that the aluminum slots stripped out.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Wraith spawn comes with plastic rims, and plastic style pin hubs, in the slw pattern.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #12

Hmm, you may find some in 4WheelOnline. They have good deals on them as well. Happy hunting!
Vinnymuto is offline   Reply With Quote

Pin drive hubs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drive pin issue Mudman02 Axial Wraith 16 03-16-2015 07:52 PM
pin drive wheels ? lennartchurch RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 03-11-2015 12:59 PM
drive pin 87silverado Redcat Crawlers 2 12-23-2010 03:29 AM
Drive pin replacements? teamtom Tamiya Clod Buster 8 09-01-2007 12:26 PM