Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Are Foams Overhyped?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Are Foams Overhyped?

Interesting read here fellas.

I am using stock proline foams that came with my tires. The Mrs. got a 1:1 Jeep wrangler this summer so I have had zero scratch money for my toys, lol. I have been doing a lot of reading and testing my self. I went old school and star cut the factory foams, that by itself made a marked difference. I vary the cut the depth of the cut based on the weight of the rig. The other thing I have started doing recently is venting the tires and plugging the wheel vents if they exist. This was another marked improvement in performance. I run a combo of trail, rock, river beds, and play in the water a fair bit. So far, I'm pretty happy and the the is almost no water in the tires by the time I get back to my car after a session.

Foams do break down over time and loose there effectiveness, even the high dollar dual stage jobs. That said, I'd like to try the Halo foams after my DIY star cuts start loosing their juice.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

I have had the best look with a g8 compound proline and stock foams. My RC are 5 1/2 to about 7 3/4 lbs. My heavier trucks run small 2.2s.

I run about 24% OD. I mainly do comps on mostly dry rock. My 1.9s are Hyrax and my 2.2 are Proline Hammers. I am working on a 2.2 with some soft Pitbull's with their "two stage" but it is very soft compared to proline two stage. really not any firmer than proline stock foams.

My tires are not vented.

Last edited by MOguy; 10-30-2020 at 12:43 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

I think some foams are overrated, but the CI Deuces Wild are fantastic. Especially because of how they resist water.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

What about this ---> Hair Bun donuts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjH...ature=emb_logo

themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

I just replaces the stock Proline foams with some Proline dual stage foams on my 10.3 ( I know CI foams are far better but CI are very hard to get here and expensive ) Ive noticed a huge difference in performance, the tires don't roll under the rim as much and the rig feels more stable overall. Im very happy thus far with them.
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote