Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels
Loading

Notices

Thread: Enhancing greater grip on tires

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave
 
toy4crawlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Campbell, CA 4 hrs 2Rubicon !
Posts: 2,041
Default Enhancing greater grip on tires

After crawling some rocks found on this forum at lexington resovoir (white rocks) my tires got a slippery silt on them and thus nolonger climbed as they did before. So I cleaned them with Simple green and used a tooth brush and they seem like new again.
It wasnt till now that I realized I had never cleaned tires before . LOL.

So, I am wanting to know what the comp guys do to prep their tires before competition?
Is there a tacky spray?
Has anyone tried gluing on small sharp objects on the tire?
Any other ideas?


Thanks
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: US
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
After crawling some rocks found on this forum at lexington resovoir (white rocks) my tires got a slippery silt on them and thus nolonger climbed as they did before. So I cleaned them with Simple green and used a tooth brush and they seem like new again.

It wasnt till now that I realized I had never cleaned tires before . LOL.



So, I am wanting to know what the comp guys do to prep their tires before competition?

Is there a tacky spray?

Has anyone tried gluing on small sharp objects on the tire?

Any other ideas?





Thanks
Honestly, the best way to answer your question is to tell you to head over to Nor-Cal Hobbies (once Eric reopens), or JJ Customs (once Jay reopens)...especially Nor-Cal. You'll find enough people to not only ask, but for them to show you, in-person.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave
 
toy4crawlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Campbell, CA 4 hrs 2Rubicon !
Posts: 2,041
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

Thanks Panther
I have been there in the last month met Eric briefly. Once it opens up, I'd like to see inside and hear Eric's background and ask my question.

How'd u know, Are you local?
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: DMV
Posts: 37
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

would a spray be comp legal?
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: US
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Thanks Panther

I have been there in the last month met Eric briefly. Once it opens up, I'd like to see inside and hear Eric's background and ask my question.



How'd u know, Are you local?
Yes. I live in San Jose, although my job (once all this COVID-19 garbage is over, and we're back to working) can have me anywhere from Mendocino to Sacramento, from Paso Robles to Lake Tahoe. Besides Nor-Cal Hobbies & JJ Customs, there's also Sheldon's Hobbies on the San Jose-Milpitas border, near Great Mall.

It's nice that, living in the South Bay, we have three extremely good (albeit, two of them on the somewhat-small side) LHSs, all three of which have knowledge people. Even better, each one has something they specialize in - Nor-Cal has an off-road track (typically clay, tho Eric had converted it to carpet for the winter...not sure what it is right now, until he reopens), Sheldon's has a drift track, and JJ's has a smallish indoor crawler course. On the weekends (especially during the summer), Nor-Cal also sets up an outdoor on-road track, using a good chunk of the parking lot, primarily for VTA & USGT.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,248
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

RC racers spend ton and tons of money and time experimenting with different tire "sauces". You know what was one of the best? Diesel fuel! The harsher the compound the shorter the life of tires though. And of course most tracks banned it because of the noxious fumes.

Liquid Wrench, I think it's the yellow cap, but double check me on that, was another very popular sauce. This is the one I used for racing indoor clay track. Simple Green is all I put on my crawling tires if I clean them. I also saw mewalsh mention good things about Syko tire sauce for crawlers.

Asking for the best tire prep is like asking for the best grease. You'll often get 10 different answers from 10 different people.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,504
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

That is because there is no one best! One tire may work better in sand while a different tire works better in mud and yet a different tire works best on rocks. There is no best, everything is a compromise. Same with shocks, springs, gearing, motors, ESCs, etc. everything is a compromise. You build a rig to what works best for the conditions you will be operating in, your personal preference and your driving style. I would add that for general crawling there is no need for any tire treatments unless you just enjoy experimenting and are willing to put up with the inconvenience of using them. If you are a top level competitor looking for that extra 1% performance improvement then you have a case for using tire treatments. In most cases tires will improve in performance as they start to wear in.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-25-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,415
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
RC racers spend ton and tons of money and time experimenting with different tire "sauces". You know what was one of the best? Diesel fuel! The harsher the compound the shorter the life of tires though. And of course most tracks banned it because of the noxious fumes.

Liquid Wrench, I think it's the yellow cap, but double check me on that, was another very popular sauce. This is the one I used for racing indoor clay track. Simple Green is all I put on my crawling tires if I clean them. I also saw mewalsh mention good things about Syko tire sauce for crawlers.

Asking for the best tire prep is like asking for the best grease. You'll often get 10 different answers from 10 different people.
Simple Green?

“Everyone” knows that Super Clean is where it’s at for ultimate tire stick-a-ficaton!

In reality, I use both, which ever one I have handy. They both seems to work equally well for me.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,248
Default Re: Enhancing greater grip on tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Simple Green?

“Everyone” knows that Super Clean is where it’s at for ultimate tire stick-a-ficaton!

In reality, I use both, which ever one I have handy. They both seems to work equally well for me.

I technically use Mean Green which is the dollar store version of Simple Green.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Enhancing greater grip on tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone want more grip from their tires?! ricerscott Tires and Wheels 16 02-05-2010 10:46 AM
Tires, that will last and have good grip!!! Joat Hawaii 3 09-25-2008 04:33 PM
what tires are better=more grip Mikekx65 Newbie General 12 07-01-2007 04:14 PM
making tires grip better freeboarder86 General Crawlers 0 12-20-2005 09:44 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com