Notices

Thread: How to keep foams centered?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to keep foams centered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I'm grateful that CI exists and can provide what we do. I knew from the get go that not everyone would like me or CI, but that is the liberty of the individual.
We're all grateful! CI is doing a fantastic job. I wouldn't have bought half of the tires and wheels I own if I didn't know I could fill them up with CI foams. It makes mounting tires SO much easier.

For those who complain about the selection, just don't buy wide wheels then!

For me, the most perfect setup in the hobby is
1. Pitbull Rock Beasts
2. CI Rock Beast specific single stage foam (Deuces Wild)
3. SSD normal width wheels

That's the holy trinity right there..
and

Proline TSL XL or Pitbull Growler filled with CI TSL XL specific single stage foam (on SSD wheels).

They're just made for each other. (well, literally, they ARE made for each other.)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #22

is having the foams shift a little bit really a problem? On my Bomber, the foams shift significantly within the tires to the point where the whole tire carcass is offset sometimes. I never noticed it having any impact on how it crawls, and a couple high speed runs seems to do a great job re-centering them.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #23
RCC Addict

How can you get consistent handling with the foams shifting uncontrollably inside the tire? The answer is, you can't.

Personally, I hate the narrow wheels. I was given a set for free a while back and when they arrived and I saw they were narrow I didn't even bother mounting tires on them just tossed them in the spare parts box. Given how many wide wheels are sold these days it is not unreasonable to ask for foams that at least take up the empty space on the wheel. CI was quick to jump on the no prep scene by developing a new drag tire foam but I suspect there are many more wide crawler wheels out there than drag tires so why not develop a wide wheel inner crawler foam??? The tuning rings work but why should anyone have to buy spacers for extra money to take up space to make a narrow foam work. This topic comes up again and again indicating there is a problem, I just wonder why the issue has not been addressed.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #24
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
How can you get consistent handling with the foams shifting uncontrollably inside the tire? The answer is, you can't.

Personally, I hate the narrow wheels. I was given a set for free a while back and when they arrived and I saw they were narrow I didn't even bother mounting tires on them just tossed them in the spare parts box. Given how many wide wheels are sold these days it is not unreasonable to ask for foams that at least take up the empty space on the wheel. CI was quick to jump on the no prep scene by developing a new drag tire foam but I suspect there are many more wide crawler wheels out there than drag tires so why not develop a wide wheel inner crawler foam??? The tuning rings work but why should anyone have to buy spacers for extra money to take up space to make a narrow foam work. This topic comes up again and again indicating there is a problem, I just wonder why the issue has not been addressed.

How come no one considers using 5.0 or 5.25 Double Deuce for the 2.2 size tires using 1.9 beads? By using the Double Deuce, you end up with a 1 3/4" wide inner instead of the 1 3/8" of the Lil Nova. Also the outers for the Double Deuce are 2 1/4" width, compared to the 1 3/4" width outer of the Lil Nova.

Do I have to make a new part number and foam for every tire and rim??? Has this hobby really come to that??? Also, if I do that, will you guys buys them? I am being faced with tough decisions this year about what products to continue. The raw material costs have gone up, the machining costs have gone up, and we already have products that will more than likely not be made again. I do not like it, but if it does not pay the bills, CI can no longer do it. I've already invested in products that sit that take 3-4 years for the only production run to sell out.

The RC drag foams and 1:5 scale foams are a perfect example of my passion for the hobby and helping others to enjoy it as well. The RC drag foams will be made wider on the next production run after feedback from customers. Proof CI listens to its customer base and modifies designs as we can. But also consider, the rc drag tire and rim are universal in size. The tires and the rims are only offered by a few manufacturers, making the benchmark easy to set. How many different companies are making 1.9 rims and tires worldwide for the RC crawler market??? Maybe one hundred or so? Whom is the bench mark to build around? For CI, I have chosen Vanquish Products rims and PitBull Tires. Those are the only brands I spend time checking to make certain our product fitment is kosher.

I'm obviously reading this thread and subscribed to it. Talk to me. You guys clearly aren't afraid to bash me, so let's dialogue.

#crawlerinnovations #lilnovafoams #doubledeucefoams #activatedoutlaw #ayalametalworks
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

I love my CI foams. I don’t mind using tuning discs to customize fitment. In my opinion part of the hobby we most enjoy is tinkering. No one size fit all solution exists for anything in this hobby. That’s why we have how many different motor options and styles? I’m thankful for our companies and vendors.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:20 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

My widest combo is lockedup RC 1.9 OEV + lockedup RC 1.9 wheel double wideners/Rock Beast XORs. Put together they measure out to be 1.76" wide bead to bead, and 1.9" wide tire.

I used the CI tuning discs. CI recommended a lil Nova size to fit the 1.9 Rock Beast XOR, so I ordered the foams, and 8 CI 1.9" tuning discs, one for the inner, and one for the outer sidewalls of the tires, and my foams haven’t had any side to side play.

That being said the XORs looks really good just with the recommended foam, and the lockedup rc OEVs alone, without the double widening ring. They kind of had that running on 1/3rd pressure look that I see in most 1-1 rock crawling videos.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Had similar experinces to those mentioned here with my CI foams. Prolines were a little better. Solved the issue by adding washers to the tie rod to keep the foams pushed out. Saw it on either GCM racing or Scale Builders Guild Channel.

The big news is the Ottsix Halo Foams. The waterproof soft outer surrounds the hard inner and does not creep. Only issue is that they do not have tiny tire versions. If you own larger tires they perform great and no foam creep.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
The big news is the Ottsix Halo Foams. The waterproof soft outer surrounds the hard inner and does not creep. Only issue is that they do not have tiny tire versions. If you own larger tires they perform great and no foam creep.
Well...a ponytail bun and a piece of pool noodle does the same Great R&D from Ottsix
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Well...a ponytail bun and a piece of pool noodle does the same Great R&D from Ottsix
It works as well as the others. Don't like it, don't use it. I have crawlers with CI, Pro-line, and the mentioned Ottsix foams. All are exceptional but only one doesn't creep.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
How come no one considers using 5.0 or 5.25 Double Deuce for the 2.2 size tires using 1.9 beads? By using the Double Deuce, you end up with a 1 3/4" wide inner instead of the 1 3/8" of the Lil Nova. Also the outers for the Double Deuce are 2 1/4" width, compared to the 1 3/4" width outer of the Lil Nova.

I'm obviously reading this thread and subscribed to it. Talk to me. You guys clearly aren't afraid to bash me, so let's dialogue.

#crawlerinnovations #lilnovafoams #doubledeucefoams #activatedoutlaw #ayalametalworks
PM sent.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-15-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #31

These work pretty good for me

https://www.amainhobbies.com/pit-bul...04129?v=673530

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Has anybody tried putting a strip of grip tape around the OD of their clamp rings to hold the foam? I haven't had to resolve this issue myself (yet). ATM, all of my tires either have a tight fitting foam for a "full pressure" type of performance or they're "flat" and the tires would be shifting anyways in 1:1.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote

How to keep foams centered? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vanquish centered axle shafts to GCM centered housing compatibility npcaldwell Axial Yeti 7 01-31-2015 12:47 PM
Centered Driveshafts dirtworkshw Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 11-09-2008 12:38 PM