RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   How to keep foams centered? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/620107-how-keep-foams-centered.html)

chipgibbs 08-01-2020 06:14 AM

How to keep foams centered?

I have Crawler Innovations Double deuce foams on aluminum beadlock wheels and they always slide off center. What are you pro's doing to keep your foams centered on the wheel?

Benp 08-01-2020 09:39 AM

Re: How to keep foams centered?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipgibbs (Post 6037640)
I have Crawler Innovations Double deuce foams on aluminum beadlock wheels and they always slide off center. What are you pro's doing to keep your foams centered on the wheel?

I’m keeping my eyes on this.

Foams give me trouble as well.

Bob_in az 08-01-2020 11:17 AM

A strip of grip tape around the ring works for me.

Inspector86 08-01-2020 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
THIS is what I have been complaining about for the past few years. I was told to glue or tape the foam to the wheel. I have also used large O-rings on either side of the foam to take up space. All of those are just temporary fixes which don't address the root problem. I finally cut groves on the OD of my beadlock rings to give the foam something to grip to. The groves have worked pretty well and I have ask wheel manufacturers if they could machine grooves but have received no response. I have also had this discussion with crawler inovations about why they make the foam so narrow. All that has gone no where.

Kingmeow 08-02-2020 06:42 AM

Gluing won't work?

ferp420 08-02-2020 07:07 AM

i stoped using foams all together problem solved
i use rubber inserts they work way better

Kingmeow 08-02-2020 08:55 AM

Link or examples of these rubber inserts?

Nova's Ark 08-02-2020 09:37 AM

Foams sliding laterally on a bead lock is common on wide rims. With so many different wheel manufacturers, there is no bench mark for size, style, or tolerance, it's left up to whatever the manufacturer decides.

There are several proven ways to prevent sliding;
- one method is to use double stick tape on the rim or bead lock can to attach the inner foam;
- shoe goo, silicone, or CA glue the inner foam to the rim or can;
- cut the factory conventional foams included with your tires into tuning discs and place them on either side of the main foam to increase lateral foam width, this will properly fill the tire and force the tire to track the rim;
- purchase Closed Cell tuning discs CWR-3015 or CWR-3315 and place one disc on the outside of the foam in each tire

Thank you for your purchase of Crawler Innovations products."thumbsup"

ferp420 08-02-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingmeow (Post 6037794)
Link or examples of these rubber inserts?

a more acurate discription would be a smaller tire inside a bigger tire
think innertube nothing special or fancy other than my discription

Kingmeow 08-03-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 6037900)
a more acurate discription would be a smaller tire inside a bigger tire
think innertube nothing special or fancy other than my discription

Ah, gotcha! So homemade solution and not something you can buy?

ferp420 08-04-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingmeow (Post 6037923)
Ah, gotcha! So homemade solution and not something you can buy?

you can buy tires cheap ones work as good as exspensive ones

old used tires work well too even if the tire is damaged

Inspector86 08-10-2020 09:11 PM

The mere fact that so many people have to resort to all these band-aid fixes to keep their foams centered is an indication that some wheel manufacturers and foam manufacturers need to get sh** together and make parts that work as they should. This isn't rocket science it is just common sense.

Col_Sanders 08-10-2020 10:39 PM

The problem seems much more prominent on certain foams. I wonder if the center hole were a bit smaller and the foams were a bit wider if this wouldnt be a problem. Most 4.75" tires are the same width, or really close at least.

tjohanne 08-11-2020 12:18 PM

Nobody is forcing anybody to use the C.I. foams on too wide rims!
As C.I. mentioned above, you can use the C.I. tuning discs. Or use any method above.

I don't have many wide wheels, and on the ones I have, I don't use the C.I.s. I keep C.I. for the normal width wheels - because I haven't found a perfect solution either.
Anyway, nobody can blame C.I. for whatever wheel-producers choose to do.

If the wheel is very wide, I prefer an open foam and cut it to match the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ferp420 08-11-2020 07:54 PM

with all the inovation in the rc world why are we still talking about foams theres gotnto be something better

Nova's Ark 08-16-2020 10:48 AM

Some more information to add here;

1. If wider inners are needed, using the Double Deuce 5.0 or 5.25" will fully fill 2.2 size tires with 1.9 beads such as the Proline Bogger. The Double Deuce foam line has a wider inner than the Lil Nova foam line. It also has a larger outer than can be cut down to fill the needs of your tire.

2. There are many products that CI creates that are not good sellers. Basically I am creating these parts because I'm a hobbyist too and want the best performance for whatever that project is. So the one minimum production run takes several YEARS to sell. The 1.7 foams, the Double Deuce MT foams, several of the Deuces Wild foams, all of the Super Nova foams, are products no one ever offered because it did not make good business sense. So although some of you are going in on me in a negative way, my hearts passion is having fun in the hobby and helping others to experience the same.

3. I am always open to customer input and to tweak existing product lines. The new 3320 rc drag racing foam is a good example. It was customer phone calls to the shop that got that foam made in a new size and shape. So if there are issues that can be addressed, I'm open to listening and discussing what is possible.

4. What I cannot do is streamline other manufactures rims or tire tolerances. Like you, CI does not have insider information. CI is not consulted on what might be best for the hobby as a whole. CI is left to respond to the market as products are released. Which also means, if CI wants any of the latest items, CI has to purchase them whether there is an interest or not. After 11 years, it gets old the constant turn over of products. How many tires have come and gone from RC4WD in that time? How many wheel companies have come and gone? I'm grateful that CI exists and can provide what we do. I knew from the get go that not everyone would like me or CI, but that is the liberty of the individual.

5. Research and Development. In the last 11 years I have used many different materials. Gel cell, memory foam, gel cell infused memory foam, rubberized foam, conventional foam, closed cell foam, ... etc. The reason CI offers the foams we do, in the sizes we do, is from experience. Do not get it confused, CI is always looking for other opportunities to increase performance. I personally have 30 years experience in the RC hobby. I have seen and experienced a lot. So before you address me negatively, how much experience do you have? I'm open to dialogue, but it had better be for the purposes of progressing the hobby.

#crawlerinnovations #activatedoutlaw #ayalametalworks #doubledeucefoams #lilnovafoams

nightcrawler48 08-16-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark (Post 6040234)
Some more information to add here;

1. If wider inners are needed, using the Double Deuce 5.0 or 5.25" will fully fill 2.2 size tires with 1.9 beads such as the Proline Bogger. The Double Deuce foam line has a wider inner than the Lil Nova foam line. It also has a larger outer than can be cut down to fill the needs of your tire.

2. There are many products that CI creates that are not good sellers. Basically I am creating these parts because I'm a hobbyist too and want the best performance for whatever that project is. So the one minimum production run takes several YEARS to sell. The 1.7 foams, the Double Deuce MT foams, several of the Deuces Wild foams, all of the Super Nova foams, are products no one ever offered because it did not make good business sense. So although some of you are going in on me in a negative way, my hearts passion is having fun in the hobby and helping others to experience the same.

3. I am always open to customer input and to tweak existing product lines. The new 3320 rc drag racing foam is a good example. It was customer phone calls to the shop that got that foam made in a new size and shape. So if there are issues that can be addressed, I'm open to listening and discussing what is possible.

4. What I cannot do is streamline other manufactures rims or tire tolerances. Like you, CI does not have insider information. CI is not consulted on what might be best for the hobby as a whole. CI is left to respond to the market as products are released. Which also means, if CI wants any of the latest items, CI has to purchase them whether there is an interest or not. After 11 years, it gets old the constant turn over of products. How many tires have come and gone from RC4WD in that time? How many wheel companies have come and gone? I'm grateful that CI exists and can provide what we do. I knew from the get go that not everyone would like me or CI, but that is the liberty of the individual.

5. Research and Development. In the last 11 years I have used many different materials. Gel cell, memory foam, gel cell infused memory foam, rubberized foam, conventional foam, closed cell foam, ... etc. The reason CI offers the foams we do, in the sizes we do, is from experience. Do not get it confused, CI is always looking for other opportunities to increase performance. I personally have 30 years experience in the RC hobby. I have seen and experienced a lot. So before you address me negatively, how much experience do you have? I'm open to dialogue, but it had better be for the purposes of progressing the hobby.

#crawlerinnovations #activatedoutlaw #ayalametalworks #doubledeucefoams #lilnovafoams

"thumbsup" Well stated.

None of us is FORCED to purchase anything we find that doesn't suit our needs. If it doesn't work for you, move on and find something else.

I've only got a couple of trucks running CI foams and I've been very happy with how they perform for me. And, as I need to replace foams in other trucks, CI will be my first choice if I can find what I think will suit my needs.

chipgibbs 08-16-2020 05:44 PM

OG poster here. I used ca glue between the inner foam & wheel. It works great. Just like Crawler Innovations suggested. I also have their foams in every RC tire I own (6 trucks + spares). .

CG3 Enterprizes & BadAssRC

fyrstormer 08-16-2020 09:06 PM

I use open-cell foams in my crawler tires, so they're always over-stuffed and my foams can't slide off-center. That isn't the reason why I use open-cell foams (I just prefer squishy tires), but it's one of the extra benefits.

If I used machined closed-cell foams like Crawler Innovations makes, I'd use CA glue to attach sheets of open-cell foam to the outer surfaces of the closed-cell foams. That way I'd get the same effect of the foam conforming to the shape of the tire, while still having the firmness that makes people want to use closed-cell foams in the first place.

Inspector86 08-20-2020 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have several sets of both VP and SSD wheels and I have found that putting a .250 dia O-ring of the correct ID to fit the inner can will take up the extra space. Also the grooves I turn in the ring of all my beadlocks has worked very well. I just wish the wheel manufacturers would wise up. The users should not have to resort to band-aid fixes to make foam stay in place. That said I run CI foams pretty much exclusively and have found the "O-ring" spacers work pretty well without the cleanup mess associated with using CA.